IGNORED

Norwich fans after match

sglosbcfc

13 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My recollection is that the bottom/top club play-offs were stopped when Middlesbrough sent Chelsea down back in the late 1980s - carnage at Stamford Bridge.

That could well have been the final straw but I think it was probably a cumulative thing (ours was in 1988) - there was always trouble when a side went down. Understandable I guess. There was a lot of trouble in Sheffield that night though, I had a mate who lived there at the time and he said it was a near riot with pubs getting smashed up all over the city and rucks with Wednesday fans who were taking the piss.

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That could well have been the final straw but I think it was probably a cumulative thing (ours was in 1988) - there was always trouble when a side went down. Understandable I guess. There was a lot of trouble in Sheffield that night though, I had a mate who lived there at the time and he said it was a near riot with pubs getting smashed up all over the city and rucks with Wednesday fans who were taking the piss.

Whatever the 'final straw', a Wembley play-off final is surely the best solution for, apart from being a showpiece and due reward for the two successful teams, it is, sadly, and as you quite rightly say, almost inevitable that the fans of the losing side in the second leg in a play-off final, whether deprived of promotion or relegated, are likely to take out their disappointment on opposing fans, grounds and surrounding areas.

It is likely that the 1989 Sheffield United violence at Ashton gate had its origins in the previous year's play-off matches.  

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whatever the 'final straw', a Wembley play-off final is surely the best solution for, apart from being a showpiece and due reward for the two successful teams, it is, sadly, and as you quite rightly say, almost inevitable that the fans of the losing side in the second leg in a play-off final, whether deprived of promotion or relegated, are likely to take out their disappointment on opposing fans, grounds and surrounding areas.

It is likely that the 1989 Sheffield United violence at Ashton gate had its origins in the previous year's play-off matches.  

Very little to do with the previous year - Was one of their main lads stag weekends and the combination of a promotion party and disinterest in the fixture our end gave them the numbers and opportunity and they attacked scarfers and even the elderly in Dolman

If you recall a high number of the p***ks were in fancy dress 

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think it was considered that the violence was worse if the result meant a club got relegated rather than missed out on promotion where it`s more disappointment than anger.

Walsall in 1988 aside of course!

32 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Very little to do with the previous year - Was one of their main lads stag weekends and the combination of a promotion party and disinterest in the fixture our end gave them the numbers and opportunity and they attacked scarfers and even the elderly in Dolman

Iirc, the local news reported the trouble, fighting, and arrests continued into the night at WSM where large numbers of Sheff. Utd fans were staying for the weekend.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Iirc, the local news reported the trouble, fighting, and arrests continued into the night at WSM where large numbers of Sheff. Utd fans were staying for the weekend.

Yep that's correct NTB,missed the game because one of our lot made the old school boy error of arranging his wedding on a Saturday when we we're at home,about twenty or so of us B blockers were a bit miffed to say the least.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I recall leaving Sheffield in an official coach and suddenly a pub emptied, we feared we might be about to be attacked but then they unveiled a Wednesday Union Jack and clapped us down the street.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If I remember right SuperBob, you were sat in the dolman in the thick of it (HTV News) think you took your dad that day? One of the few times when Bristol City got well and truly done.

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Friend got spat in his face and another had a cigarette flicked at him.

Like I said not the worst crimes in the world just scummy.

The southern side of Sheffield is a right shithole! Worked up there a few years ago and quite a tough city.

Could be tasty down AG if we are still up there as they have an active mob still.

6 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

The southern side of Sheffield is a right shithole! Worked up there a few years ago and quite a tough city.

Could be tasty down AG if we are still up there as they have an active mob still.

It will definitely kick off if we're both in the playoffs come the end of the year. They've got a few brick shithouses mind.

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

It will definitely kick off if we're both in the playoffs come the end of the year. They've got a few brick shithouses mind.

Take your pick out of potentially Sheff Utd, Cardiff, Villa and Leeds. It will be tasty.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

If I remember right SuperBob, you were sat in the dolman in the thick of it (HTV News) think you took your dad that day? One of the few times when Bristol City got well and truly done.

Yes mate _ Split between pushing my Dad towards safety and kicking a few as they came forward !

Dont think my Dad ever got over the shock !!

Another ‘unwanted’ appearance on the tele mate ;)

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

I Was at back of B block...many running down over the old wooden seats....a few of which were later lobbed into their fans...still have the HTV news on vhs ...a few known faces on that tape..

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes mate _ Split between pushing my Dad towards safety and kicking a few as they came forward !

Dont think my Dad ever got over the shock !!

Another ‘unwanted’ appearance on the tele mate ;)

Yeh, you have been on there a few times!

5 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

I Was at back of B block...many running down over the old wooden seats....a few of which were later lobbed into their fans...still have the HTV news on vhs ...a few known faces on that tape..

A few known faces that PL wrote about in his book.

2 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

We could play them 3 games in a row, and all would be important.

8 hours ago, Clint said:

I remember that. I think Dave Bassett was their manager and was the play offs. It kicked off up in the Doleman before the game started then carried on throughout the match and then outside afterwards!

It wasn’t the play offs, it was May 1989, we beat them 2-0 - we played them in the play offs the year before, beat them 1-0 at home but there was nothing like the disorder that took place during the May 1989 fixture...

Edit - Apologies, just noticed several people have already corrected you, above...

12 hours ago, BCFC J said:

Strange isn't it, there's nothing at their home games, not even an atmosphere but they're playing up a bit away from home.

I don't recall our away fans being like that in 2008? We only really get trouble at Cardiff or in the midlands nowadays.

2008 and around that time, was very much like that at some away games. 

Wolves, Hull, Cardiff and I’m sure plenty of others! 

6 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

i think it was payback for the ;lge cup game at there place when we done them oh and the play off 2nd leg

Archived