IGNORED

Liam Walsh

steviestevieneville

8 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Wasn't there a supposed fallout on the training ground at Brum involving him that scuppered his opportunities there???

You know someone like @INCRED is gonna get in a huff , but yes,  allegedly

As @steviestevieneville Pointed out their dressing room not a happy place Tbf 

(Dont know and can’t find any detailed account about it)

I don’t see the problem with him barking at others. I saw Kelly berate Bryan twice at Villa, I saw Korey, Taylor & Kent all berate Bryan today. No issues with Walsh doing it. He’s clearly a talent and I have zero problem if he ‘instructs’ his team mates to do the right things. 

@BobBobSuperBob @Shuffle

I wasn’t at the game today, so difficult to know what effect Liam Walsh had.  With Tomlin, you could tell it was disruptive.  If he didn’t get a pass, or the move didn’t go through him he’d sulk.  You could also tell whether his team-mates were pissy with him too.

Will look out for it in Walsh.  Might just be enthusiasm, and keen to make a mark.

I’m hope that LJ, JM & DH would spot it after last season, and stamp on it, if indeed there is anything in it.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@BobBobSuperBob @Shuffle

I wasn’t at the game today, so difficult to know what effect Liam Walsh had.  With Tomlin, you could tell it was disruptive.  If he didn’t get a pass, or the move didn’t go through him he’d sulk.  You could also tell whether his team-mates were pissy with him too.

Will look out for it in Walsh.  Might just be enthusiasm, and keen to make a mark.

I’m hope that LJ, JM & DH would spot it after last season, and stamp on it, if indeed there is anything in it.

Tbf Dave - I can’t say it was disruptive and don’t know what he was shouting / saying

Could be a positive - but he admits being ‘bossy’ to other players (His words) 

Bit of your Tomlin Video moment ;)

Will be interested what your perception is when you see him and I will be interested to watch how things develop

Busy player all round and technically decent 

Didn't work for me today at all... balence of the side was all wrong. Walsh seems a decent investment, but wasn't good today, slowed the play, caught in position too many times, changed a lot of what we are good at. Can't see the need for him, pack, smith and brownhill all in the same side.... rotation to freshen things up yes, but not ready to be in anything like our starting line up yet.

11 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Not sure I share your concerns just yet regarding any possible ruffling of feathers amongst the squad. There isn’t enough leaders in the game anymore and as long as it’s positive I don’t see a problem. 

It will be a good problem to have but in a few weeks we’ll have Callum back so we’ll have . Pack , Smith , pato, Walsh , brownhill , O’dowda, Kent and elliasson fighting for 4 places. Will be great for squad strength and it’s what we’ve lacked recently but it will be interesting to see what happens . 

Will you please welcome the forthcoming return of "Tinkerman"!

13 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Thought I’d start a positive thread as some on here are in meltdown after a few defeats. :disapointed2se:

i thought the young lad looked quality today especially second half . Quick feet , two footed, brilliant dead ball delivery, great vision and gets stuck in. The lad is/will be a great signing. 

I thought he was great today, looks like a very good signing.

12 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Certainly a better second half than first half. My first thought was he needed to get his head up quicker or be more aware of his teammates position. Although you have to accept he hasn’t been here long & you would hope that comes with time. What I would say is that IMO, LJ made a mistake starting him, only in the sense that Paterson was then effectively left midfield, having to keep an eye on their right wing back ( good player).  Paterson IMO is our most creative player & needs to be 10/15 yards further forward, a lot closer to Bobby who was isolated. But with regards Walsh, I would say not a bad start, with real potential to get better. COYR 

Exactly this. 

Although agree with many of the compliments about Walsh's ability, it was a big mistake by LJ playing him as the no.10 instead of Pato. When Pato plays that role he is free to roam and links up with Bobby, Walsh didn't do that leaving Bobby isolated. Also Pato looked out of it on the LHS of midfield. 

Walsh looks a good addition to share the load with Pack, Smith & Brownhill as a central midfielder. Given Brownhill looked a little off the pace today, Walsh should have maybe started in his place, but he certainly should not have been given the No.10 role which resulted in us being very ineffective going forward.

8 hours ago, Bristol Boys said:

Didn't work for me today at all... balence of the side was all wrong. Walsh seems a decent investment, but wasn't good today, slowed the play, caught in position too many times, changed a lot of what we are good at. Can't see the need for him, pack, smith and brownhill all in the same side.... rotation to freshen things up yes, but not ready to be in anything like our starting line up yet.

Most strange was Korey playing the furthest forward out of the midfielders. I know he scored against United but he really isnt an attacking midfielder.

Patto is suited to number 10 , he has space to twist and turn, when wide he comes inside and narrows our attacks (when Kent came on he did the same). Earlier in the season Brownhill was rotated with Smith/Pack to keep them all fresh , I expected to see Walsh being used in a similar way. He did OK and looked very promising but to keep the balance , and because his delivery is so good, I'd give him a run wide, as Brownhill has been used. 
He looks like he could be a good fit long term. Willing to receive the ball, looks to keep play moving , is mobile and dead ball delivery is excellent . 
Who knows what happened at Brum, the club is a basketcase by the seem of things, it's bound to be difficult for a young talented kid coming in to a losing dressing room that is probably looking for scapegoats. The one thing they seem to have got right in recruitment is judging characters , so I'm hopeful he'll work out.

Walsh reminds me of several City predecessors like Quigley, Kellard, Doherty and Sir Gerry.

In his first game, he was perhaps trying too hard to impress. Kent could also be included in that comment. But there is a real talent in the lad. Two footed, not afraid to go in hard and not a shrinking violet when it comes to verbal contact with team mates.

He may have lost the ball a few times, just the same as some of our long established players, but I see a very useful addition to the squad.

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You know someone like @INCRED is gonna get in a huff , but yes,  allegedly

As @steviestevieneville Pointed out their dressing room not a happy place Tbf 

(Dont know and can’t find any detailed account about it)

I think you will find it was more the poor attitude of the established Brum players as the source of the problem in their changing room rather than Walsh - allegedly!

I can’t for the life of  me understand why LJ changed the team yesterday to accommodate Walsh. It’s not that Walsh was poor but by bringing him in it meant dropping Magnesson and moving Joe to left back losing the attacking threat down the left. Also Patterson gets moved to the left out of the sort of number 10 position  leaving Bobby isolated and reducing Patterson’s attacking influence on the game. 

If he’s going to play Walsh then fine but not at the expense of moving Patterson out of the middle.  

59 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

I can’t for the life of  me understand why LJ changed the team yesterday to accommodate Walsh. It’s not that Walsh was poor but by bringing him in it meant dropping Magnesson and moving Joe to left back losing the attacking threat down the left. Also Patterson gets moved to the left out of the sort of number 10 position  leaving Bobby isolated and reducing Patterson’s attacking influence on the game. 

If he’s going to play Walsh then fine but not at the expense of moving Patterson out of the middle.  

Just play Walsh and Kent in their best positions ie centre midfield and winger respectively and they will come good.

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Exactly this. 

Although agree with many of the compliments about Walsh's ability, it was a big mistake by LJ playing him as the no.10 instead of Pato. When Pato plays that role he is free to roam and links up with Bobby, Walsh didn't do that leaving Bobby isolated. Also Pato looked out of it on the LHS of midfield. 

Walsh looks a good addition to share the load with Pack, Smith & Brownhill as a central midfielder. Given Brownhill looked a little off the pace today, Walsh should have maybe started in his place, but he certainly should not have been given the No.10 role which resulted in us being very ineffective going forward.

I think Brownhill needs an extended rest to be honest. 

Out of all the outfield players i think hes been struggling last 3/4 games. Looks very leggy. 

13 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I think Brownhill needs an extended rest to be honest. 

Out of all the outfield players i think hes been struggling last 3/4 games. Looks very leggy. 

I was thinking the same about Joe Bryan. My favourite player but he seems to have just fallen off his normal level since the Reading game.

3 hours ago, INCRED said:

I think you will find it was more the poor attitude of the established Brum players as the source of the problem in their changing room rather than Walsh - allegedly!

Think you might want to read what I wrote

Listen to his interview (Not allegedly)

And then watch him (Not allegedly)

And then consider what I wrote again and the explanation of my (slight) unease

Walsh was naturally keen to impress, and to be involved, and it was very noticeable how often he called for the ball in the first half.

Just about every time one of our players was in possession his arm went up.

This gave the impression he was often ignored when the pass didn't go to him.

Whether he became frustrated by this, or was in fact used to it as a normal part of his game, or even on occasions our players were sometimes deliberately ignoring him is hard to say but I've never seen a City player so obviously keen to receive the ball at all times.

That can only be a bonus unless he really expects the ball each time and goes on to show any frustration verbally when sometimes he inevitably doesn't always get it.

Either way, rough edges no doubt to be ironed out, but for a full debut he looked very impressive at times.

17 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Wasn't there a supposed fallout on the training ground at Brum involving him that scuppered his opportunities there???

Cotts said he had no problems with him and that he always had a smile on his face but that he didn't feel he could pick him ahead of more experienced players.

I cannot understand the negativity about Walsh. It was a brilliant debut. His passing was accurate, he made the tackles and some of the skill had us raving. I think at home we should play 442 with Patterson pushing forward with Reid. We need  Diediou and Djuric back to help Reid. 

Agree that Paterson needs to play centrally, and I was expecting to see this given the new recruits.

I like the look of Walsh; some of the inter-play with team mates was great considering he has only been with us for about a week. Plus he is only 20 with limited first team experience. We could have a star of the future. 

I think the Man City game took a lot out of us mentally as well as physically. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I was thinking the same about Joe Bryan. My favourite player but he seems to have just fallen off his normal level since the Reading game.

Wasn’t at his best yesterday and looked a bit off the pace, also thought Pato and Reid struggled a little And could do with a rest but at the moment not possible

In a few weeks time we will have a few more options and as LJ said yesterday, we have a few bids out there so with 5 points to second and an easier February I can still see us fighting for second once we are no longer involved in the cup

I would say to all my fellow reds, don’t give up on this squad and coaching staff just yet as we are still more than capable of promotion and an exciting end to the season

Sheffield Utd at home in May could be a big party still 

Archived