IGNORED

Atmosphere in the league

RedNight

8 minutes ago, RedNight said:

To top it all off. Fans are posting abuse to Ryan Kent on twitter - he's played 20mins for the club. 

I assume we are taking 7000 to Derby Friday? No thought not - we won't even take a tenth of that. Arguably one of our biggest games of the season if we are serious about automatics. 

Really? For ***** sake.

Was terrific v United in the Dolman and indeed the whole ground- had forgotten how good though!

I think the Man City game could well top that.

In the League, the more routine games- I think a decent time for atmosphere is 5.30pm. Because firstly, usually under the floodlights, secondly Sky cameras and thirdly chances are if it's a 5.30pm game that fits that criteria it will usually be a pretty important game which people get up for a bit more.

1 hour ago, RedNight said:

To top it all off. Fans are posting abuse to Ryan Kent on twitter - he's played 20mins for the club. 

I assume we are taking 7000 to Derby Friday? No thought not - we won't even take a tenth of that. Arguably one of our biggest games of the season if we are serious about automatics. 

Where? Take a screenshot

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was terrific v United in the Dolman and indeed the whole ground- had forgotten how good though!

Yes, great video from @Threshing Red, that's my block too - and it shows that whenever B Block is on its feet a lot (usually the back 10-15 rows) the atmosphere is significantly better. Trouble is it doesn't happen very often in the league apart from right at the end of games when people are leaving anyway (!), so for the most part there is a lot of standing up and sitting down again, which kills the atmosphere. There is no real science to this, sitting down is terrible for making any sort of noise or getting into the game. I wish we'd stand more but respect that not everyone in the Dolman does.

15 minutes ago, Olé said:

Yes, great video from @Threshing Red, that's my block too - and it shows that whenever B Block is on its feet a lot (usually the back 10-15 rows) the atmosphere is significantly better. Trouble is it doesn't happen very often in the league apart from right at the end of games when people are leaving anyway (!), so for the most part there is a lot of standing up and sitting down again, which kills the atmosphere. There is no real science to this, sitting down is terrible for making any sort of noise or getting into the game. I wish we'd stand more but respect that not everyone in the Dolman does.

Keep up the good work mate. Have seen you lot standing up a few times this season creating an atmosphere. Ashton gate would be rocking if the whole dolman would do it a lot more. The singing section does need help from the rest of the stands and I appreciate not all the songs are to peoples tastes but that is why we try to create new ones and try to get everyone to join in but it is bloody hard work. Thought the atmosphere yesterday was as flat as a pancake especially when our boys on the pitch needed our support. 

Section 82 at times is great.

However, a considerable issue is that during a lot of the game there are a small group who still sing (tends to be around where the camera is). The majority wait for exciting moments in games.

As for the Dolman and Lansdown stands, it really does resemble a library. I tend to think it comes down to embarassment, not feeling like you can sing amongst a group of quiet, sat down people. Or maybe people in the Lansdown and Dolman just don't want to sing, in which case, fair enough, everyone enjoys football differently. I for one love the buzz of singing and feeling like I'm contributing in someway, even if to a negligable degree. S82 does need extending though, there's obviously demand and with a much larger standing section it could really make for a better atmosphere.

OR 

We could just knock down the South Stand and rebuild the Eastend.... :whistle:

2 hours ago, RedNight said:

Shocking. We don't need that sort of support. 

We do have our share of divs. 

1 hour ago, Threshing Red said:

If the dolman was like this every home game I'd probably go and join them 

Helped raise the money for that flag floating over. The Dolman cant be like every week because Bristol Sport don't want it to be. Its been banned for other games but would be allowed in the so called singing section. wall right side not allowed to put flags on it because they made the singing section the flag area. fans wanted to make the area a bit more lively but got closed down. understand why but the effect is to be seen and heard, a quiet stand.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think a European type atmosphere is overrated in many ways. Granted, there's almost constant noise at some of these places.. but lots of the time it's very choreographed and guided by fans with megaphones and drums.

You have to remember that in this country supporters are policed and regulated like no other. That would wear down enthusiasm and loud support anywhere and it's been happening in this country for 30 years. Compared to videos you see of Ukraine, Poland or Turkey - we'd never be allowed that much pyro and there appears to be next to no regulation of the supporters over there. Compare that to AG where they can't even turn off the lights during night games because of 'health and safety'. 

Personal preference but I still think a really fantastic British atmosphere is superior to a European equivalent. A British team's atmosphere at it's best will be spontaneous and more natural as it's usually a response to what's going on on the pitch.

I've seen European clubs and you'd be surprised how many of them look up to British fan culture. Watching football in Spain I saw lots of lads copying casual fashion.. Adidas Gazelles, branded t shirts, pin badges of English teams..

Sadly 3pm kickoffs against uninspiring teams doesn't help the atmosphere at AG.. I think S82 should be extended as far as demand allows.. perhaps putting small 'singing sections' in places like the middle of the Dolman or Lansdown to act as almost beacons of Gondor to spread the atmosphere along the bigger stands.

I think really, the atmosphere would also be improved if S82 were close to the away support but I think logistics make that difficult.

I have no doubt though that were we promoted - the atmosphere would be brilliant. Our fans seem to really go for it when we're underdogs or if there's needle in the game. That wasn't the case yesterday or for much of the season.

So I prefer a 'European Style'. Being in a stand of people that is jumping is something that I don't think I've ever seen at AG. The majority of people at AG during 'bounce around the ground' will not leave the floor, just move their arms up and down, or nothing at all. Sure fans have more choreography there but to say they don't react to what is going on during the match is simply not true. 

The difference for me is 100% to do with attitude. We'll make excuses galore in this country about all seater stadiums, fans not being left alone and how other countries let their fans do more or less what they want. This is all nonsense. Many of the legendary grounds of Europe are all seater, in fact outside of Germany, they probably all are. I don't wish to bang my own drum about watching football in Turkey but I have never struggled to get into a football match so much so much.

Firstly you have to apply for a Passo (football ID card) which has your picture, name etc on. They know everything about you before you even go to the game. To enter a ground your card and passport will be checked at least three times and you'll be patted down two or three times by both stewards and the plod.

The problem is that British fans would rather call the guy taking the corner in front of them a manual manipulator than actually commit to supporting the team for 90 minutes. Then 5 minutes later shout 'you stupid ****' at a City player who loses the ball. The whole mindset of the vast majority in S82 and AG as a whole would have to change.

I think that is step one. For us as a collective to acknowledge that we are poor by any standard and that the fault lies with ourselves and no one else.

The one thing I do agree about the 'British Style' thing is the humour. Whatever happens this cannot be lost as it is all British fan culture has to cling onto.

20 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

So I prefer a 'European Style'. Being in a stand of people that is jumping is something that I don't think I've ever seen at AG. The majority of people at AG during 'bounce around the ground' will not leave the floor, just move their arms up and down, or nothing at all. Sure fans have more choreography there but to say they don't react to what is going on during the match is simply not true. 

The difference for me is 100% to do with attitude. We'll make excuses galore in this country about all seater stadiums, fans not being left alone and how other countries let their fans do more or less what they want. This is all nonsense. Many of the legendary grounds of Europe are all seater, in fact outside of Germany, they probably all are. I don't wish to bang my own drum about watching football in Turkey but I have never struggled to get into a football match so much so much.

Firstly you have to apply for a Passo (football ID card) which has your picture, name etc on. They know everything about you before you even go to the game. To enter a ground your card and passport will be checked at least three times and you'll be patted down two or three times by both stewards and the plod.

The problem is that British fans would rather call the guy taking the corner in front of them a manual manipulator than actually commit to supporting the team for 90 minutes. Then 5 minutes later shout 'you stupid ****' at a City player who loses the ball. The whole mindset of the vast majority in S82 and AG as a whole would have to change.

I think that is step one. For us as a collective to acknowledge that we are poor by any standard and that the fault lies with ourselves and no one else.

The one thing I do agree about the 'British Style' thing is the humour. Whatever happens this cannot be lost as it is all British fan culture has to cling onto.

Why is it nonsense?

Your probably a young in the highlighted line would indicate so,  but watching City from the 70s onwards and doing trips from Albania  to Croatia to Italy to Turkey and more than I can count, It is not nonsense.

Its why you see City fans in Belgrade, Rome, Prague and Tilburg each season. 

Fandom in the UK was not always so. Not even close. As a teenager I remember being open mouthed at the armies of unruly away fans met by armies of Bristol City fans. Atmospheres that made the spine tingle, atmosphere that could be fun one week, sinister the next, each decade post eighties brought pacification and gentrification via Police and state. 

Footall is unrecognisable, wholly to the game I first watched in 74/5.

22 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It doesn't matter how far you extend S82 by, for games like yesterday it won't make much difference at all. 

S82 was just as poor as the rest if the ground yesterday. The constant banging of the drum was doing my head in also.

If you thought S82 was 'poor' I'd love to know what your personal contribution to the atmosphere was

I was at the Boro game last month, th first home game I’ve been able to attend for many, many years due to living overseas and I was very impressed with the atmosphere - it compares favourbly with what it was like in the 1990s for example.

I really don’t think we are any worse off than other clubs in this respect, and a damn sight better off than many. I know it’s hard to tell what the atmosphere is like on telly but Man Utd reached a new nadir last year against Celta Vigo, barely a squeak in a European semi-final - Compare to their CWC win over Barca in ‘84 when the noise OT generated blew Maradona and Co. away.

We get a good following away - WBA, Reading, Man c and we otsing the home fan show without even trying. Big away support at the Gate they do the same to us. It’s a universal phenomenon. 

How many clubs in England can you honestly say their ground is a cauldron for away teams every game now? Can’t think of a single one.

34 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

I was at the Boro game last month, th first home game I’ve been able to attend for many, many years due to living overseas and I was very impressed with the atmosphere - it compares favourbly with what it was like in the 1990s for example.

I really don’t think we are any worse off than other clubs in this respect, and a damn sight better off than many. I know it’s hard to tell what the atmosphere is like on telly but Man Utd reached a new nadir last year against Celta Vigo, barely a squeak in a European semi-final - Compare to their CWC win over Barca in ‘84 when the noise OT generated blew Maradona and Co. away.

We get a good following away - WBA, Reading, Man c and we otsing the home fan show without even trying. Big away support at the Gate they do the same to us. It’s a universal phenomenon. 

How many clubs in England can you honestly say their ground is a cauldron for away teams every game now? Can’t think of a single one.

Thought the Boro game was decent too. Kinda highlights my point a bit too about 5.30pm slots being not bad for atmosphere these days in UK too I reckon.

Agreed, big away followings and especially from the more vocal clubs tend to- not always but tend to- outsing the home fans in English grounds in general.

Agree on first line too- better than plenty of sides. Unsure it's better than the 90's though, got worse in my mind last 10 years, perhaps slightly worse since redevelopment perhaps even 15 years it's got steadily worse over. Hard to put a precise timescale on it other than a steady decline, except for the big games and perhaps some evening kickoffs on Saturday!

Was just thinking about this a bit more, could anyone suggest any older songs to be brought back? I'm sure theres lots that have been lost to the mists of time. Bit like how the Gow song was refitted for Korey, perhaps we could reuse some chants from before my time.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If you thought S82 was 'poor' I'd love to know what your personal contribution to the atmosphere was

Blimey! Didn't realise this was a Dick waving contest? My contribution was poor aswell tbh. I've been on a massive come down since Man Red and now Man Blue. Especially with the Xmas festivities thrown in aswell where I went to about 10 Xmas parties. 

I sit in S19 and I join in with every song that is sang in there.  However it appears everyone else is also on the same come down as me as it's been quite poor in there since the Man Red game.

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Why is it nonsense?

Your probably a young in the highlighted line would indicate so,  but watching City from the 70s onwards and doing trips from Albania  to Croatia to Italy to Turkey and more than I can count, It is not nonsense.

Its why you see City fans in Belgrade, Rome, Prague and Tilburg each season. 

Fandom in the UK was not always so. Not even close. As a teenager I remember being open mouthed at the armies of unruly away fans met by armies of Bristol City fans. Atmospheres that made the spine tingle, atmosphere that could be fun one week, sinister the next, each decade post eighties brought pacification and gentrification via Police and state. 

Footall is unrecognisable, wholly to the game I first watched in 74/5.

You are correct to say I'm young. I'm in my early 20s and attended my first game in 2001. I missed out on English fans at their peak. I understand that we had a spark, and yet it went out. That is behind my trips to Europe to experience atmospheres that are far more intense, loud and consistent than in the UK. I feel like I have missed out big time on this issue. The question is why is it that the majority of fans are so reserved now? I was arguing that we cannot blame our quiet stadia as a nation on external factors, such as all seater stadia or fans being supressed in some way. That is what I thought was nonsense. As I said, most clubs in the world have all seater stadia and many countries supress their fans more than we do.

What needs to happen is a complete change of mentality from being reactionary fans to proactive ones. What is frustrating is we can do it. Like you said, the past proves that we can be loud and supportive. And even big nights at AG in my years as a fan (Hartlepool, Palace, Man U) AG has been amazing. But then for every amazing atmosphere, there are probably 15 average or poor ones. 

I'm not a fan who wants us to have a 'European' Ultras area as that is the only way.  Because it isn't the only way. I just want AG to rock week in week out. That'll mean improvement from everyone, including myself.

When we’re winning it’s good, when we’re losing or drawing in a boring game it’s poor. I sit in s82 and at times this year I thought it was great but Saturday was probably the worst all season. The game/performance was pretty flat and this reflected the atmosphere in the stands. It’s a shame because these are the times when the boys really need us, smashing Derby 4–1 there was constant noise but the game was already put to bed, the tight games are when we should be really roaring the boys on. As a side note I’ve noticed that maybe about 200/300 people in S82 actually always sing,  if you’re not gonna bother then sit elsewhere and let someone else go there who will.

WTTJ

You can add Swindon 2015  think. Bristol derby 2013 great as well. QPR and Plymouth 2004 while not hitting those heights next tier down, so too were the clashes with Cardiff early 2000s, the one in 2003 especially as was a late season promotion clash. Bristol derby Christmas 2000 not bad. Millwall on a Friday night was a good night.

As I think we've seen with these, and I probably missed a few and maybe more too when we get going we can still quite easily range from decent to outstanding.

Sometimes people get a bit too misty-eyed though when it comes to football atmosphere in the 70s and 80s. Crowds across the board were falling so while you had the special nights I bet a 20,000 crowd at Highbury in a 60,000 Stadium was crap.

Plus the golden era of raucuous support brought a lot of unpleasant baggage with it. 

@wendyredredrobin

I think getting a noisy Lansdown Stand is definition of fighting a losing battle tbh.a

Corporate areas, family section in the upper, most expensive bit of the ground...probably fairly strict stewarding too. Write that off.

Dolman however, on paper that's a lot more promising! You have A Block and B Block aka E34 and E33. Quite a lot in there are longstanding fans I reckon, loyal, passionate.

Then you have lower E34 and E33, in line with away fans, good atmosphere potential there, mutual chanting maybe, give and get atmosphere when a big away following in town. Lastly E28 upper, on the Dolman/South corner, yes all but the back row in these sit but people though it's harder can still sing sat down.

10 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

You are correct to say I'm young. I'm in my early 20s and attended my first game in 2001. I missed out on English fans at their peak. I understand that we had a spark, and yet it went out. That is behind my trips to Europe to experience atmospheres that are far more intense, loud and consistent than in the UK. I feel like I have missed out big time on this issue. The question is why is it that the majority of fans are so reserved now? I was arguing that we cannot blame our quiet stadia as a nation on external factors, such as all seater stadia or fans being supressed in some way. That is what I thought was nonsense. As I said, most clubs in the world have all seater stadia and many countries supress their fans more than we do.

What needs to happen is a complete change of mentality from being reactionary fans to proactive ones. What is frustrating is we can do it. Like you said, the past proves that we can be loud and supportive. And even big nights at AG in my years as a fan (Hartlepool, Palace, Man U) AG has been amazing. But then for every amazing atmosphere, there are probably 15 average or poor ones. 

I'm not a fan who wants us to have a 'European' Ultras area as that is the only way.  Because it isn't the only way. I just want AG to rock week in week out. That'll mean improvement from everyone, including myself.

Because external factors like Government, the Police and capital - business gentrified football.

I would not have believed what would happen to football if someone told me what would be the effects of criminal justice acts, the Taylor report and commercialisation. This led to a change in behaviour over decades that not only altered the way supporters supported, but entirely changed the demographics of that support. 

Your desire for less conservative more noisy energetic crowd is not the way those in the main who now attend football act.

21 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Yep. Agree. Complete consensus here on OTIB too.

Singing / safe standing section; End block in Dolman next to SS S82 corner. 50% available only to ST, 25% to members, 25% general sale each game. 

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO hope this is sorted and actioned in the next couple of days. Plus if you can arrange 3 points at Derby on Friday the fans would appreciate that too. 

Cheers.

Morning @Trouty84 @reformed_red this is already on the list so have added your names/suggestions next to the point too. I cant promise that will be actioned in the next couple days but I will make sure it is discussed before next season. 

See you at Pride Park on Friday.

Okay - slightly different question on a recurring theme.

Lots of comments regarding expanding S82 across the SS, but.... is that the answer?

Would there be more value in a second singing section (lower LS closer to the away fans) rather than making S82 larger?

Would two areas generate a better atmosphere than one larger one.

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Okay - slightly different question on a recurring theme.

Lots of comments regarding expanding S82 across the SS, but.... is that the answer?

Would there be more value in a second singing section (lower LS closer to the away fans) rather than making S82 larger?

Would two areas generate a better atmosphere than one larger one.

No chance in a Lansdown Rob 

:laughcont:

Too near corporate seating

The other corner in SS would be good - get the sound going across SS

Archived