IGNORED

Target Man/Physical Presence

BCFC_Josh

As has been reiterated by yesterday's performance, ongoing injuries and Johnson's post match comments we need someone to take on this role in the team. Many have suggested Jordan Hugill at Preston as the answer however I have also seen others disagree. With this in mind, who would you bring in if you were Johnson and why? 

14 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Woodrow 6ft+ But can't play as target man :facepalm:

In hindsight I think he'd have actually been a better option yesterday than Taylor.

Taylor is a busy player like Reid, and that hadn't worked for 75 minutes. What we needed by that point was a different option. Woodrow, and perhaps Flint up front, might've been the way to do it with more direct play. 

15 minutes ago, BCFC Josh said:

As has been reiterated by yesterday's performance, ongoing injuries and Johnson's post match comments we need someone to take on this role in the team. Many have suggested Jordan Hugill at Preston as the answer however I have also seen others disagree. With this in mind, who would you bring in if you were Johnson and why? 

Agree we desperately need a target man. But Diédhiou is back in full training next week shortly followed by duric. I wouldn’t be bringing in anyone in that position, certainly not without moving on Taylor and Engvall first. We’ve battled through December without a target man, January has proved more problematic but this has also coincided with our hardest run of fixtures of the season. No need to panic and do anything silly. Once injuries return we’ve no shortage of quality strikers. 

If we’re looking to strengthen the squad I’d be looking at other positions. 

2 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Agree we desperately need a target man. But Diédhiou is back in full training next week shortly followed by duric. I wouldn’t be bringing in anyone in that position, certainly not without moving on Taylor and Engvall first. We’ve battled through December without a target man, January has proved more problematic but this has also coincided with our hardest run of fixtures of the season. No need to panic and do anything silly. Once injuries return we’ve no shortage of quality strikers. 

No need to move anyone on. MA has said that there's no financial reason to sell anyone.

2 minutes ago, city1983 said:

I`m not so sure there. It could just be me but I thought Lee sounded a bit downbeat and cagy about his recovery - the stuff about him being back in Italy and under round the clock supervision. I wouldn`t be surprised if his operation and recovery has proved more complicated than first thought.

I sincerely hope I`m wrong but that`s just the impression I got from a few words in admittedly a fairly low key post match interview generally.

4 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Are you actually suggesting that Duric and Fam will fire us to promotion?

1. Neither are likely to be fully match fit until the end of Feb, always assuming they don’t have a set - back.

2. Neither are, so far, prolific 

We are dreadfully short of goals in the team just now and that factor is going cost us unless it is addressed immediately.

Goals win games and we need to start winning again very soon

Big gamble to automatically assume Famara and / or Duric will be back soon , hit the ground running and avoid any injury reoccurrence or a new injury IMHO

Players are at their most vulnerable to injury when they come back and the call to bank on their return and a ability to play a significant role till May is a big one and a difficult dilemma 

FWIW I’d be trying to bring in a pacy mobile striker who can work the channels ‘, like , and in partnership with Bobby , but with a bit more physical presence than Bobby and to help Bobby by giving opposition defences two mobile frontmen too worry about 

Think such a player would suit our predominant / preferred , method of play , much more  than a target man would 

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Are you actually suggesting that Duric and Fam will fire us to promotion?

1. Neither are likely to be fully match fit until the end of Feb, always assuming they don’t have a set - back.

2. Neither are, so far, prolific 

We are dreadfully short of goals in the team just now and that factor is going cost us unless it is addressed immediately.

Goals win games and we need to start winning again very soon

They might fire us to promotion, they might not. Breaking the bank and bringing in another striker might fire us to promotion, it might not.

Diédhiou had a perfectly decent strike rate before getting injured, and it’s no coincidence that bobby Reid has dried up since having to play the target man role.

Start of the season no-one in their wildest dreams thought we’d be where we are right now. I’m more than happy with how we are progressing right now. Top 2 is an unrealistic target in my view. We’ve got where we are by buying young hungry players that will improve and add value , and I’d actually be dissapointed if we went away from this policy to chase some pipe dream that we could easily miss out on anyway.

Top half of the table finish and semi final of a major competition shows great progress, and anything more than that is a bonus at this time.

Let's be honest this is all we are missing. Without a target man we basically have to score a perfect goal or from a set piece at the moment. 

Surprised how well we did when Diedhiou was first out and think we are really starting to miss him now. Just gives us another option and think Reid looks better alongside him. 

37 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

I too would have thrown him on instead of Taylor but I suppose its all about player management vis a vis what is needed at that moment. Not an easy job.

35 minutes ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

What can Woodrow do? :blink:

Drive, hopefully eastwards. OK, thats mean, but really he is a little wasted. I understand he is on a season long loan and that we cannot send him back; pity there is no rule that says we cannot send him out on loan to someone else.

16 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Probably because there is no plan to bring in yet another striker

I believe LJ alluded to trying to do just that in his post Norwich press conference.

38 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Height is not a determiner of being a target man. 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Big gamble to automatically assume Famara and / or Duric will be back soon , hit the ground running and avoid any injury reoccurrence or a new injury IMHO

Players are at their most vulnerable to injury when they come back and the call to bank on their return and a ability to play a significant role till May is a big one and a difficult dilemma 

FWIW I’d be trying to bring in a pacy mobile striker who can work the channels ‘, like , and in partnership with Bobby , but with a bit more physical presence than Bobby and to help Bobby by giving opposition defences two mobile frontmen too worry about 

Think such a player would suit our predominant / preferred , method of play , much more  than a target man would 

I know it’s hard to believe, but you’ve kind of described the Woodrow of Burton. That’s why I thought he’d be a good fit here. Hasn’t worked out unfortunately.   He gave Flint and Wright a torrid afternoon last season. Has the attributes. 

None of us know when any of the injured players will be match fit again. However LJ and his coaches will have a rough timeline as when they're going to be training again. 

We fans aren't privy to such information and why that's so is a bit surprising. I can't see why regular updates on injured players aren't a feature in interviews and/or weekly updates on the OS. Such info isn't something other clubs would be bothered about.

47 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Nobody.  Manage resources until players return to fitness.

Problem is you get games like yesterday. No options , and how many times did we get in good crossing areas and either end up aiming for 5' strikers or turning back. FD and Djuric possibly another 2 months to match fitness, that's a lot of games to manage.

30 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Garita could be a temporary option instead of buying in another striker until our boys are fit

For comedy value alone :PSeriously, it would offer a different dynamic and focus, could cause problems. You never know.

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Totally agree, if we do go for another striker get someone a little different. There is of course a problem with who!
 It would mean options. Djuric a proper target man, FD big but more mobile and if we could find a striker to run channels but with real pace, could make all the difference.

I'd personally start Woodrow as he's the closest thing we have to a target man. He will come short for the ball which will allow Reid to stretch the play more. 

Also gives us the option to put crosses in to the box more something we can't really do with Reid upfront on his own.

2 minutes ago, kivsy said:

I would get a striker in , it’s a gamble that our returning strikers hit the ground running , usually Johnson says they have to be intergrated , it need a bit of a pre season 

they need to gain match fitness and be up to speed , if one breaks down we are back to square one. 

Would make sense to at least loan one in if we aren't gonna play Woodrow.

Archived