IGNORED

Matty Taylor - Long term future here?

Londoner

So when we signed Taylor from Rovers there was a mixture of delight at getting one over them but also the aim of having a proven goal scorer all be it at a lower level.

I'm not sure if a year has passed but there must be this overall feeling of disappointment regarding his contribution for us.

To his credit he has had his moments....setting up other players and assists not yo mention the man Utd pass for Smith.

However, he doesn't look like scoring goals at this level, I can't rememer him getting into excellent goal scoring positions let alone potentially finding the net with any level of consistency.

So the question needs to be asked, especially with us looking for promotion....does Taylor have a long term future here? I for one have been disappointed with his overall contribution but I do appreciate that he has played a hand in goals for other players.

Do we move him on in the summer?

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

So when we signed Taylor from Rovers there was a mixture of delight at getting one over them but also the aim of having a proven goal scorer all be it at a lower level.

I'm not sure if a year has passed but there must be this overall feeling of disappointment regarding his contribution for us.

To his credit he has had his moments....setting up other players and assists not yo mention the man Utd pass for Smith.

However, he doesn't look like scoring goals at this level, I can't rememer him getting into excellent goal scoring positions let alone potentially finding the net with any level of consistency.

So the question needs to be asked, especially with us looking for promotion....does Taylor have a long term future here? I for one have been disappointed with his overall contribution but I do appreciate that he has played a hand in goals for other players.

Do we move him on in the summer?

Almost a year Londoner, pretty sure he was signed on deadline day January,  have to agree with you though despite his work rate and the fact I really want it to work for him, it does appear he is not quite up to this standard.

i can definitely see him being moved on In the summer.

I think if you look at it rationally, he's not quite good enough for where we aspire to be. I think he's got something about him and a good football brain, but he's not top half/playoff Championship quality. Perhaps a regular run of starts alongside a suitable partner in a team like Bolton, Burton or Ipswich would get the best out of him.

In 35 years time when Lee Johnson pens his autobiography detailing his time as Bristol City manager (winning us the League cup in 2018, sneaking second place.. then a glorious Europa League win in 2020.. before going onto win Bristol City the Premier League an unprecedented 10 times in a row with a squad of all Bristolian academy graduates :P) it wouldn't surprise me if he admits that he did buy Taylor to relieve some of the pressure. The transfer did shift the attention away from him for a while and at that price, was perhaps a good investment.

For the price we apparently paid he was a bargain, maybe a bit of a gamble but one worth taking for the peanuts (in footballing terms) he cost. I thought he did well last season, maybe not in goals scored but in other aspects of his game. 

I can see him leaving in the Summer, either on loan or permanently to the delight of Sagheads who will just ignore the fact that they’ve not been able to replace him whilst we’ve had a great laugh at the way they had their pants pulled down in front of everyone.

That sublime pass to Smith against Man Utd was worth 300k on its own.

17 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't especially rate Taylor, but it seems unfair to berate him for lack of goals/assists when COD only managed about one goal and assist in his first year for us, but was praised for his workrate.

An odd comparison 

O Dowda came from league 2

He is a winger

He is 5 years younger

He has scored the same number of goals that Taylor has despite playing in a less advanced position

He has been given a few opportunities, but imo has never shown anything to suggest he is a Championship striker. That said I don’t think we will offload unless we have incoming. Woodrow is here for the season, so if another came in Taylor would be allowed to go I would think. If we stick with what we have then he will probably be here till the summer. Small profit maybe?

24 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

...That sublime pass to Smith against Man Utd was worth 300k on its own.

totally agree, he's easily paid for his self with the additional 2 big paydays against Man City (and possibly beyond gulp!), if he stays, can't ever see him scoring many but he'll always be a bit part player brought on against tired Legs - happy if he stays, happy if he goes personally!

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It's almost as if he is scared to shoot. Had a decent chance yesterday and instead of taking the shot just messed around and got dispossessed. He seriously lacks confidence. 

I would agree. Must be strange for him moving from that lot where he was the first name on the team sheet and treated like a God to coming here, warming the bench and expected to come on and change games in 10 minute spells here and there. 

It’s a big step up and I’m not sure he’s got it really, but at least when he came on yesterday he looked passionate and interested, he tried to get the game moving quicker, shouting at people to hurry up etc. We lost all creativity when Paterson and Walsh went off, the remaining players were left with nothing.

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think it's a sign of just how far the championship has come that one of the most prolific league one strikers looks less than average playing in a side that looks to create chances rather than sitting back.

In a post with McIndoe the other day I suggested the types of goals scored in League One and Two are different to Championship and Premier.  You see a lot of strikers clean through in the lower divisions, and from the goals shows I watched when he was at Rovers he scored and missed a fair few of those types.  He doesn’t get those opportunities here, in some part because the way we pay, and he’s not adjusted.

If we look purely at £300k, it was a reasonable signing, we got our £300k’s worth.  If we get rid of him, it will be a profit because of where he is in his contract.

If we look at it as putting one over Rovers, it was worth it....not that that played much of a part.

If we look at it from helping to keep us up last season, he played his part with his assists, but I do think he’s often wasteful with the ball.

If we look at it from goals, just read any of @GrahamC‘s post on the subject, he hasn’t been a good signing.  That’s what he was undoubtedly bought for.

He did score in streaks for Rovers and Forest Green, and I hoped he’d get on one for us, but in all reality, that doesn’t ever look like happening.

If I look at the minutes he’s played this season, I would rather those had been given to Woodrow so we could be objective re his abilities.

He seemed to 'earn' a penalty for the 15ers every other game but has been nowhere near getting into those positions for us.

In recent games for us, he's appeared to me to be perhaps a little half-hearted. I really don't see his performances improving much on what we've already seen and sadly, that's  just not top-end championship standard. I'm pleased that we signed him and its been a lot of fun; certainly his assist v Manchester repaid our investment by many Tilsons. I wouldn't be surprised nor upset were he to move on in this window.

26 minutes ago, Londoner said:

An odd comparison 

O Dowda came from league 2

He is a winger

He is 5 years younger

He has scored the same number of goals that Taylor has despite playing in a less advanced position

It makes no difference where he came from, nor what age he is. The point is, both players have been brought in to do a job in a Championship here and now. Also, COD is a winger and therefore should also be providing an end product - plenty of assists if not goals. 

Can't really remember him getting a good run of starts in the team since he's joined don't think u can 100% judge a player until that happens as a lot of factors can be changed with a good amount of starts under your belt also I don't think Taylor and Reid or Taylor and Woodrow are 'ideal' partnerships he needs to be starting along Milan or fammy to see what sort of player he is done 

For me he has been unlucky. His best two games were against palace and stoke playing with fami/Duric in a 4-4-2. He hasn’t had many chances to play with them this season. What surprises me is his hold up play, he makes it easy for the midfield as you know he will give it simple and that allows for runners to get in behind him. As it looks like we have been found out some what with recent results I would say he gives us a different option especially if we play with width and someone up top with him

Archived