IGNORED

Matty Taylor - Long term future here?

Londoner

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

So when we signed Taylor from Rovers there was a mixture of delight at getting one over them but also the aim of having a proven goal scorer all be it at a lower level.

I'm not sure if a year has passed but there must be this overall feeling of disappointment regarding his contribution for us.

To his credit he has had his moments....setting up other players and assists not yo mention the man Utd pass for Smith.

However, he doesn't look like scoring goals at this level, I can't rememer him getting into excellent goal scoring positions let alone potentially finding the net with any level of consistency.

So the question needs to be asked, especially with us looking for promotion....does Taylor have a long term future here? I for one have been disappointed with his overall contribution but I do appreciate that he has played a hand in goals for other players.

Do we move him on in the summer?

In short, yes

4 minutes ago, Danwal said:

For me he has been unlucky. His best two games were against palace and stoke playing with fami/Duric in a 4-4-2. He hasn’t had many chances to play with them this season. What surprises me is his hold up play, he makes it easy for the midfield as you know he will give it simple and that allows for runners to get in behind him. As it looks like we have been found out some what with recent results I would say he gives us a different option especially if we play with width and someone up top with him

That is a fair comment.  I’ve said before that his best 2 performances were in the cup in those two games.

53 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

It makes no difference where he came from, nor what age he is. The point is, both players have been brought in to do a job in a Championship here and now. Also, COD is a winger and therefore should also be providing an end product - plenty of assists if not goals. 

In fairness I don't think CO'D was. He and Brownhill were used far more sporadically last season to give them exposure to the level. Only this season, pre-injury, have they enjoyed regular starts most games.

I don't think we're ever 'getting our money back' if we let him go. It's not just the £300k transfer fee - what about his signing on fee and wages. We'd be stuck with paying-off 1.5 years of these wages if he went now. So write off the best part of £1m if he goes now or give him more time? I'd like to see what he looks like playing off Fammy or Milan before I write him off completely. 

Also I think Engvell will be out the door before Taylor, given that LJ doesn't seem to even rate him above a below average loanee in Woodrow.

All the talk about moving Taylor on comes from those who haven't thought the situation through properly.

He's been down the pecking order even with Famara and Djuric injured because Reid is LJs first choice striker. Taylor sits on the bench most games and I can't recall the last time, if ever that he's played a full game for City.

But.....if Reid gets injured/suspended then the nearest replacement would be Taylor. They're similar in statue and style and with a few starts and a full games under his belt I'm confident we'll see the real Matty Taylor.

I don't  think we  haven't seen enough game time  of him yet.

It was a 300k punt that hasn't quite worked out. But had the added bonus of really annoying the other lot !

If we have enough additions by the end of January and players returning from injury I expect him to leave on loan either at end of January or when the loan window opens in February.

As mentioned elsewhere I think he will end up with Karl Robinson at charlton.

One things for sure he won't leave or be sold permanently leave the club before the end of the contract as it will easily be the biggest contract of his career and one that can't be matched by any other team in league one

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

All the talk about moving Taylor on comes from those who haven't thought the situation through properly.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :P

He's been down the pecking order even with Famara and Djuric injured because Reid is LJs first choice striker. Taylor sits on the bench most games and I can't recall the last time, if ever that he's played a full game for City.

So, he’ll sink further down the list when they’re back.  You could quite easily play Pato off of Diedhiou or Djúric.

But.....if Reid gets injured/suspended then the nearest replacement would be Taylor. They're similar in statue and style and with a few starts and a full games under his belt I'm confident we'll see the real Matty Taylor.

Really depends on who else is available.  "Nearest Replacement" - sure-wise yes, footballing style, worlds apart.  I admire your confidence, but I think we’ve seen enough to tell us that the Stoke / Palace performances were the exceptions to his "normal distribution", and overall he’s not quite good enough.

Imagine Woodrow having been given the same opportunity?

Admittedly I’d only get rid of in this window if we bring someone in.

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

I massively wanted him to succeed for obvious reasons . Gas head mate had it right saying he was a league one player . Neat and tidy . Never looks like scoring . 

Don’t think he’s neat and tidy, he’s a battler without the greatest technique imho.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Don't agree Robbo as Woodrow seems to get the nod in front of Taylor. However, the question is does Taylor have a place in our long term future and to me he hasn't shown enough to prove that he has.

14 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Don't agree Robbo as Woodrow seems to get the nod in front of Taylor. However, the question is does Taylor have a place in our long term future and to me he hasn't shown enough to prove that he has.

Woodrow gets the nod because of his statue. He's over 6ft tall and everyone knows how much City miss a big man up top.

And......just to argue the point - I don't think we've seen enough of him to suggest that he has no place long term.

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely 100% agree with you.

I don't think the style we play suits his natural game. He has been coming on as a late sub in most games and the one thing he isn't is an impact sub! He looks better when playing off a target man and atm we don't have one or play that way. He offers something as a squad player but not enough to be first choice. We must keep him for the rest of this season however as the squad is pretty thin and although some players are starting to come back from injury, we could well lose others with lots of games left. Lets reassess in the summer when we know where we are.

3 hours ago, Calculus said:

Neither him, Woodrow and probably Engvall are anything like good enough to be near a Championship play-off team IMO.

Time to move the lot on and get in someone fit for purpose.

A shame really as Taylor was excellent during our scrap for survival. But he just doesn't offer enough of a goal threat at this level. One of these players who will make a good career in League One. 

52 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Taylor has started more games than Woodrow and has come on as a sub more than him this season as well, whatever the merits of either (I think my views are well enough known) it is completely incorrect to suggest Woodrow seems to get the nod in front of him.

@Robbored Presumably you mean stature, not statue, (which you have written twice) I admit Woodrow isn't quick, but he not that slow...

I think his future here will be decide by the business we do before January is over.

I wanted/want him to do well for us, and have sympathy with the position that his having to play up top with another smaller forward, and not getting a run has maybe meant we've not seen the best of him.

BUT... I think at this point it is hard not to pass some judgement, and it seems clear to me from what I’ve seen that he lacks the pace and instinctive finishing that is needed at this level for strikers of his type to succeed.

I still hope he proves me wrong, and that he goes on to score a bunch by the end of the season, but I am sceptical that he will.

The fact a player with significantly less experience of playing up top has bypassed him in the shape of Bobby Reid isn’t a positive sign, and if we bring in another striker this window, it wouldn’t bode well for him, I fear.

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Taylor has started more games than Woodrow and has come on as a sub more than him this season as well, whatever the merits of either (I think my views are well enough known) it is completely incorrect to suggest Woodrow seems to get the nod in front of him.

@Robbored Presumably you mean stature, not statue, (which you have written twice) I admit Woodrow isn't quick, but he not that slow...

Either / or but neither are setting the world on fire and once we have injured players returning neither are likely to get much of a run. IMO if we are to progress upwards and onwards then these guys are surplus to requirements. Sorry but just my opinion.

4 hours ago, Nube Rojo said:

totally agree, he's easily paid for his self with the additional 2 big paydays against Man City (and possibly beyond gulp!), if he stays, can't ever see him scoring many but he'll always be a bit part player brought on against tired Legs - happy if he stays, happy if he goes personally!

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well i like him he  niggles the opposition and tries hard!!

Archived