IGNORED

Matty Taylor - Long term future here?

Londoner

As I expected he isn't quite good enough for this level, we gambled got him for cheap and he hasn't managed to kick on .. its no real shocker for me .. not really sure what anyone really expects from a 300 k player, absolute pennies in todays game

3 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I don't think we're ever 'getting our money back' if we let him go. It's not just the £300k transfer fee - what about his signing on fee and wages. We'd be stuck with paying-off 1.5 years of these wages if he went now. So write off the best part of £1m if he goes now or give him more time? I'd like to see what he looks like playing off Fammy or Milan before I write him off completely. 

Also I think Engvell will be out the door before Taylor, given that LJ doesn't seem to even rate him above a below average loanee in Woodrow.

Not sure we would be in for paying up his contract if we sold him.

If he moved to a club who offered him a lower salary we might well offer a settlement for the difference, but if all parties are up for the move then off he goes.

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

As I expected he isn't quite good enough for this level, we gambled got him for cheap and he hasn't managed to kick on .. its no real shocker for me .. not really sure what anyone really expects from a 300 k player, absolute pennies in todays game

Think this isn’t a factor to be sniffed at; 200-300k for a player who scored for fun at a lower level is the sort of gamble I have zero problem with us taking, and for what he’s contributed so far, it’s been paid off (assist away to Brighton last year when we confirmed safety, the assist against Man U).

I just think that when you compare his contribution now to that of other players like Brownhill, O’Dowda and Reid in the time Taylor has been around, they’ve improved almost immeasurably, while I don’t think Taylor can claim the same.

He’ll not start or see many appearances once Diehiou and Djuric are fit, I think, and if his moving on meant we might have a space for another forward option to be brought in, it wouldn’t break my heart.

Simply not good enough for a team aspiring to make the play-offs/have a sniff of automatic promotion. As for those who suggest he hasn't had enough opportunities, who would you have dropped to accommodate a striker who lacks pace and doesn't score goals?? We're not talking potential here he's 28 in March!

He needs a good run of starts somewhere. I just can’t see him getting them here. Easily good enough for a lower half championship team IMO given a good run of games 

He’s almost a victim of the position we find ourselves in. We’re talking about ourselves now as promotion contenders - and assessing players on that benchmark - whereas in the summer we’d have all taken mid table.  

Some rubbish on here to be honest.not better than Agard??!! Do me a favour, look at another post titled the resurgent to see his finishes against palace and stoke to see his class. As for can’t control a big of cement you must be deluded or just hate the fact he’s ex gas. Educated football fan can see how he adds to the team, Reid/patio have been amazing but back to goal they look to turn and start something. With Taylor you get control, give and get in the box. Reminds me of when we signed hefferenen, a proper centre forward just unlucky that lita had the form of his life like Reid is now. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure we would be in for paying up his contract if we sold him.

If he moved to a club who offered him a lower salary we might well offer a settlement for the difference, but if all parties are up for the move then off he goes.

Exactly, we don’t have to pay up his contract.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Agard is/was a better player and we got rid .

But he cost us around a third of what Agard did, and there is a rather marginal difference between the two of them.  

9 minutes ago, 29AR said:

But he cost us around a third of what Agard did, and there is a rather marginal difference between the two of them.  

Both huff and puff players at this level.  Agard more suited to played right forward in a three.  Both good at Lge1, both not quite up to it at this level.

6 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Not done it for me. Had plenty of chances.

Really?  For me ‘plenty of chances’ means starting a run of games in a formation that suits him.  If he’d started half a dozen games alongside Famara or Djuric and done nothing then maybe i’d agree with you.  I see a clever player, very capable of putting othe players in, but not a target man or a loan striker.  I hope he does get a chance to prove his worth at some point.

I was very much considering starting a similar thread. 

My opinion is that we’re in the initial stages of having seen enough of him to make an informed judgement. 

Time is running out for Matty Taylor.*

*(Lets hope he fares as well as the last two chaps I suggested time was running out for!)

I don't think it's relevant how much he cost (or where he came from) - the difference at this level between success and almost success seems to be fractions of a second and it always seems Taylor takes just a fraction too long before shooting.

He is not a bad player but from what I've seen has no prospect of playing in the PL, therefore, given that's what we aspire to, we must replace with better.

Just consider him vs Andre Gray or Dwight Gayle - they are just sharper (and that's why they were out of our budget - not sure now)

It's a real shame because I REALLY want Matty Taylor to do well but he's just lacking something. I do think that he's probably a great bloke to have in the dressing room and we'd likely keep him a little longer for morale/DNA purposes.

RE Engvall, obviously those at the clubs will be far more knowledgeable about him so if they say he won't cut it at this level then I believe them, but it would still be nice to a see a little bit of what he offers. We did invest a fair bit so they must've seen something.

I've been impressed with his workrate and some of his link-up play, but he hasn't made as much of an impact as I expected when we signed him. Yes he probably needs a run of games for us to see him at his best, but I'm not sure he's really done enough to warrant that run of games. Considering he arrived with a good scoring record he hasn't looked much of a threat in front of goal - either because we aren't playing to his strengths or because the step up has been too much for him.

He’s not good enough.

If we’d not bought him from the Rovers or “on the cheap” we’d not have a second’s thought about packing him off.

I’d have been delighted for things to have worked out but for me he’s one of several who simply aren’t up to the job or expectations that we need to have if we are going to be a successful challenger to the likes of Wolves or Derby.

I’d get rid.

6 hours ago, Danwal said:

Some rubbish on here to be honest.not better than Agard??!! Do me a favour, look at another post titled the resurgent to see his finishes against palace and stoke to see his class. As for can’t control a big of cement you must be deluded or just hate the fact he’s ex gas. Educated football fan can see how he adds to the team, Reid/patio have been amazing but back to goal they look to turn and start something. With Taylor you get control, give and get in the box. Reminds me of when we signed hefferenen, a proper centre forward just unlucky that lita had the form of his life like Reid is now. 

Patio :laugh:

10 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

What's the comparison with Agard all about? Neither are Championship players who will make a decent impact at this level. 

Just that he was a similar type of player . Busy , wholehearted and with 3 goals in 28 appearances at Championship level.

For all his qualities he was judged insufficient and moved on .

I see comparisons with Matty and worry for his future here.

17 hours ago, samo II said:

Think this isn’t a factor to be sniffed at; 200-300k for a player who scored for fun at a lower level is the sort of gamble I have zero problem with us taking, and for what he’s contributed so far, it’s been paid off (assist away to Brighton last year when we confirmed safety, the assist against Man U).

I just think that when you compare his contribution now to that of other players like Brownhill, O’Dowda and Reid in the time Taylor has been around, they’ve improved almost immeasurably, while I don’t think Taylor can claim the same.

He’ll not start or see many appearances once Diehiou and Djuric are fit, I think, and if his moving on meant we might have a space for another forward option to be brought in, it wouldn’t break my heart.

Playing off of Deidhou/Djuric is where he's at his best....he will play his part this season-there will be other valuable contributions aside from the Man Utd game..

Archived