IGNORED

Matty Taylor - Long term future here?

Londoner

21 hours ago, samo II said:

Think this isn’t a factor to be sniffed at; 200-300k for a player who scored for fun at a lower level is the sort of gamble I have zero problem with us taking, and for what he’s contributed so far, it’s been paid off (assist away to Brighton last year when we confirmed safety, the assist against Man U)..

Agree mate.

It annoys me when our own fans spout paranoid Gas rubbish that we ONLY bought him to stop them getting promoted (heard it again on Saturday). Given our position and form in the League last January it was a complete no brainer to spend such a reasonably small amount of money on a talented player who had proved he could easily make the step up from L2 to L1.

I also think it’s insulting to the people in charge of player recruitment at the club (who’ve done pretty well the last few years) that whilst we were in free fall last January their only concern was “how can we **** the Gas over”. I’m sure we would’ve been keeping an eye on him from the previous August onwards.

I’ve no doubt the club realised how entertaining we’d find his signing from them and that was a bonus but I don’t believe for a second that’s why we signed him. There’s a good player in there and we’ve seen glimpses of it. Considering what we’ve spent on others in the past 300k was no gamble at all to someone like SL.

i think hes getting a hard time on here. 

he doesn't play full games, he doesn't get time to settle in, and he always gets brought on 70min + into the game 

he has had an impact on the games just not by scoring, he has had a fair few (cant be specific) assists and been good at setting up assists. 

if anything was to happen to Bobby (fingers crossed it doesnt)  i think he would be on the pitch more. 

On 14/01/2018 at 11:03, Calculus said:

Neither him, Woodrow and probably Engvall are anything like good enough to be near a Championship play-off team IMO.

Time to move the lot on and get in someone fit for purpose.

Not like either of the latter have had a fair chance to prove themselves... 

Woodrow I'm not sure about, but Engvall has run his socks off whenever I've seen him and doesn't look a half bad player. Hasn't got two international caps for no reason at the age of 21.. Not like Sweden are a shite side either. 

I was actually talking to someone at work today about Engvall.. I was saying if he isn't sold this month, he must have some sort of future with us? 

Agree somewhat about MT though, shame but cost peanuts and was definitely worth a punt, and the laughs. 

3 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I find it an eye opener. 4 goals and 6 assists in 919 minutes is decent enough. 

What the stats won't tell anyone is whether he's good enough for this level but it demonstrates that it is far far more complicated than just saying "35 games and 4 goals" 

Yeah, that's a reasonable return for a team at the mid-low end of the table. I'd be interested to know what Diedhiou's return is and how it compares.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 17:06, Danwal said:

Some rubbish on here to be honest.not better than Agard??!! Do me a favour, look at another post titled the resurgent to see his finishes against palace and stoke to see his class. As for can’t control a big of cement you must be deluded or just hate the fact he’s ex gas. Educated football fan can see how he adds to the team, Reid/patio have been amazing but back to goal they look to turn and start something. With Taylor you get control, give and get in the box. Reminds me of when we signed hefferenen, a proper centre forward just unlucky that lita had the form of his life like Reid is now. 

Have you got nothing more concrete for us to go on than that Danwal?

The stats are actually pretty excellent when in that context- goal and assists both ultimately equally important IMO.

I might be wrong, but most of his output came last season? I obviously recall the goals v Stoke, Palace and obviously the assist Manchester.

Worth keeping IMO, until May anyway. Hard for him to deliver in some respects, when he isn't regular. I was in the get rid soon camp or strongly leaning towards it but now not so sure.

52 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Statistics eh... What if he'd only played 10 games worth of minutes and scored 4 goals? That'd be satisfactory wouldn't it? 

Screenshot_20180115-165854.png

That’s really useful context, and although I don’t think he’s good enough, I will say that I used Diedhiou’s equivalent stats earlier on in the season to promote my argument, so if he a bit of a hypocrite to not see the materiality of your stats.

With Diedhiou, I’d also argued about what he brought to the game, the partnership etc.  That is the area Matty Taylor lets himself down.  The assists stat looks decent, but how often is his contribution also EOM (end of move).  Play breaks down off of Taylor more than any of our forward minded players.

This is one player who divides opinion, and boy, wouldn’t it be helpful if we could send a week at Failand and see what is actually going on and form an opinion on that.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s really useful context, and although I don’t think he’s good enough, I will say that I used Diedhiou’s equivalent stats earlier on in the season to promote my argument, so if he a bit of a hypocrite to not see the materiality of your stats.

With Diedhiou, I’d also argued about what he brought to the game, the partnership etc.  That is the area Matty Taylor lets himself down.  The assists stat looks decent, but how often is his contribution also EOM (end of move).  Play breaks down off of Taylor more than any of our forward minded players.

This is one player who divides opinion, and boy, wouldn’t it be helpful if we could send a week at Failand and see what is actually going on and form an opinion on that.

Fully agree. 

I'm not trying necessarily to advocate Taylor, I kind of sit on the fence when the debate around him is concerned. I know the club uses statistical analysis when scouting (there was some sort of comparison between Paterson and Knockeart I believe has been mentioned on here when he signed) and I'd love to see how they use whatever stats it is they use to assess and compare players (particularly one as divisive as Taylor) both within the club and as potential targets. 

Archived