IGNORED

Are we lacking 'real' pace?

Kingswoodactor

With the way we play (high press, counter attacking, aiming to build quickly by nicking the ball up the pitch) should we not be aiming to add more pace into our side?

It's also something I noticed against Norwich yesterday, that we looked sluggish in the final third, and in the middle of the park. 

I really like the way we are set up, and I feel that adding 2-3 really quick players into our attack, central midfield and RB position would help us enormously. Out of our main starting XI, I'd say that maybe Bryan, COD and Reid are the only real quick players that we have, and even they are perhaps a 6/7 out of 10 when it comes to speed on a football pitch. Eliasson and now Kent offer pace too off the bench, but I feel like we should be adding more into this team. 

Players like Ollie Watkins or Isaac Vassell would have been extremely useful in our side/current set up.

Just now, hodge said:

If you watch Paterson and Brownhill they break very quickly with the ball at feet, those 2 and Bryan can transition from defence to attack very quickly 

It's not the same IMO. I'm talking Scotty Murray in his pomp speed, or as I mentioned earlier; someone like Ollie Watkins who was lightning when I watched him against us earlier this season!

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

It's not the same IMO. I'm talking Scotty Murray in his pomp speed, or as I mentioned earlier; someone like Ollie Watkins who was lightning when I watched him against us earlier this season!

Thing is we saw it when we had Albert, if they're leading the break other players can't keep up with them and they then run into trouble, I would rather have 3/4 players breaking at the same speed able to link with each other. Our interlinking passing has been one of our biggest strengths this season. 

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Thing is we saw it when we had Albert, if they're leading the break other players can't keep up with them and they then run into trouble, I would rather have 3/4 players breaking at the same speed able to link with each other. Our interlinking passing has been one of our biggest strengths this season. 

That's why I'd like to see 2-3 really speedy players added. I don't just want one Ivan Sproule type player doing their best Forest Gump impression every Saturday afternoon!

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

That's why I'd like to see 2-3 really speedy players added. I don't just want one Ivan Sproule type player doing their best Forest Gump impression every Saturday afternoon!

Problem there is you're then looking for the player to have another attractive element (can't think of a better term) to their play, pace is an attribute which often quickly adds to the fee paid, if you want players as good/better then ours and quicker for 2/3 of them you're looking at significant outlay. I don't think our side is bad when it comes to speed on the pitch when compared to the rest of the division, infact I'd say we're up there.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Problem there is you're then looking for the player to have another attractive element (can't think of a better term) to their play, pace is an attribute which often quickly adds to the fee paid, if you want players as good/better then ours and quicker for 2/3 of them you're looking at significant outlay. I don't think our side is bad when it comes to speed on the pitch when compared to the rest of the division, infact I'd say we're up there.

I'd say our players are quicker of 'mind' than in their actual legs. I'd like to see us attack like the Champ version of Liverpool. They swarm forward at great speed whilst still encompassing quick intricate passing and link up play. 

Bring back Ivan :thumbsup:

On a serious note I think you'll find it extremely difficult to find blistering speed along with good technical ability and vision on the budget you have in the Championship. As I've said before on other threads there are many speedboats all with no drivers. If you're looking for both and I'm sure you are, you need to tell SL to dig deep. 

37 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

On a serious note I think you'll find it extremely difficult to find blistering speed along with good technical ability and vision on the budget you have in the Championship. As I've said before on other threads there are many speedboats all with no drivers. If you're looking for both and I'm sure you are, you need to tell SL to dig deep. 

We need a Champ version of a Salah or Mane :yawn:

Our best bet (within our budget) would probably be in Ligue 2, and for us to find another rapid 'Kodjia like' player.

40 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

To be fair, the speedsters have drifted from the game now. Not all about pace anymore, more technical ability, fitness, awareness and recovery. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We could've signed Watkins 2 years ago for bugger all, Tinnion and our scouting network were aware of him.

Anyway, I agree some genuine pace in the team would be good. 

That said, I feel we play a more intelligent, possession based game that doesn't really rely on pace so not overly fussed.

No team gets it all right but he is already looking like the one who got away,

Considering we signed Eliasson around the same time (for a bigger fee) & with Watkins also able to play up front, which would have been ideal the way it has turned out with Diedhiou & Djuric, I bet we regret it already..

21 hours ago, GrahamC said:

No team gets it all right but he is already looking like the one who got away,

Considering we signed Eliasson around the same time (for a bigger fee) & with Watkins also able to play up front, which would have been ideal the way it has turned out with Diedhiou & Djuric, I bet we regret it already..

He is looking like one we should have got now. I`d say probably the biggest miss although I understand we could have had Conor Hourihane for  just over 300k when he went from Plymouth to Barnsley for that so that`s up there too. Plymouth were desperate for cash at the time so we only had to outbid them.

Archived