IGNORED

Could our next 3 league games be season defining?

devoncider

4 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Could have been written by any of us. Agree with all of it but blatantly obvious.

Very true Oldland, I thought it was an interesting point to make considering how high our 'highs' have been against the two Manchester clubs, that within a month our season could be over in terms of the league. Well 'over' is perhaps too strong, but we are starting to lose ground... 3 points against Derby and we're back on schedule :fingerscrossed:

1 minute ago, devoncider said:

Very true Oldland, I thought it was an interesting point to make considering how high our 'highs' have been against the two Manchester clubs, that within a month our season could be over in terms of the league. Well 'over' is perhaps too strong, but we are starting to lose ground... 3 points against Derby and we're back on schedule :fingerscrossed:

I do think Derby will have the game at the Gate in the back of their mind regardless of current form. I think we will surprise them again. 

1 minute ago, OldlandReddies said:

I do think Derby will have the game at the Gate in the back of their mind regardless of current form. I think we will surprise them again. 

A couple of positives for me is that it's on sky and we often do well on TV, and that we'll have nearly 24 hours more recovery time than Citeh before Tuesday night

Interesting read @devoncider 

I would love to know as an ex-City player what the fans are basing success on this season? Is it just improving on last season or is it trying to get into the PL? I only ask because in my opinion if you don't strengthen your squad I think the current City team will finish 8th. Will that be classed as success given the opportunity that has been presented? Of course the Cup run brings with it, its own publicity and success but as we all know the league is your bread and butter.  

I agree with @devoncider that the next three games are important but for me I want to know, as I haven't seen enough games, if the fans truly believe that the current squad can actually get you promoted?

16 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I would love to know as an ex-City player what the fans are basing success on this season? Is it just improving on last season or is it trying to get into the PL? I only ask because in my opinion if you don't strengthen your squad I think the current City team will finish 8th. Will that be classed as success given the opportunity that has been presented? Of course the Cup run brings with it, its own publicity and success but as we all know the league is your bread and butter.  

I agree with @devoncider that the next three games are important but for me I want to know, as I haven't seen enough games, if the fans truly believe that the current squad can actually get you promoted?

Can this current squad get promoted ? Cor blimey like seeing into the future, when our long term injuries return we will for sure be stronger.  Are we better than Villa. No. Are we better than Cardiff. Yes. Are we better than Derby. We were a few months ago, not sure now. Are we better than Wolves ? No.  I can go on but tbh a top 6 finish would be a great achievement AND we will continue to develop and improve. The younger players will continue to bond and grow, no longer will this club buy ‘journey men’ in twilight of careers but young players who will get better and better. 

I am not sure this year, being established and recognised as a footballing team, is a great leap ,but one for perhaps next year rather than this, it is all coming together but this season is a big ask. Next year? More likely.  

I just feel it is moving in the right direction, and as pep said. Strongest 2nd division in the world . We have improved massively and to be ‘safe’ in January  enough said 

25 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I would classify this year as a success (so far at least) because of our league position and cup run. So yes, it is largely because it's an improvement on last season. The fact that the football has at time been very good, and we've got a lot of likeable young hungry players also helps.

I do agree with you re: if we don't strengthen we could drop out of the play-offs, but I still would feel that that would be a good season - certainly more enjoyable than last.

Also how surreal that Michael McIndoe has read my article - remember celebrating that goal versus Palace as a very excitable 13 year old!

30 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I firmly thought that we would be battling for relegation this season, so this season for me is already a success. If somebody offered me 8th pre-season I would've snapped their hand off.

Important to ensure we don't lose perspective. Yes, our expectations have been heightened but I think we just need to enjoy the position we are in, get behind the boys win or lose and see how far we can push this season.

It seems on and off the pitch, Bristol City have established an identity and that can only help the club moving forward.

36 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I do. The success is down to a very good system understood by the players. When you watch on tv, particularly highlights, you miss how well they press and play as a unit defensively. I think you underestimate how good the players are as a collective.  

36 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Think if you had seen more games then you would be looking at higher than 8th. Playoffs are deffo still a distinct possibility and, with the two new additions plus the players coming back, if we can beat Derby again then Auto is still not beyond us. 

3 hours ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Absolutely.  The first half of the season shows we can do this.  I would be interested in your thoughts @Michael McIndoe on the inevitable risk of strengthening your squad versus upsetting the team cohesiveness.  

Take Derby for example. Three seasons ago they were almost certs for promotion and in January brought in significant reinforcements to get them over the line.  Needless to say they failed to even make the play-off places.

I have predicted finishing 8th or 9th for quite a while now and this represents a hugely successful season in my opinion & is largely down to the pressing style of football that we play. It is not a criticism, we have simply become a victim of our own success (and I'm not blaming the cup run)

We simply don't have the quality in depth to continually rotate these players.

It is no coincidence that no individual player has stood out only the whole team collectively.

Flint, Reid, Bryan, Baker, Fielding, Brownhill, Paterson, O'Dowda, Smith, Dhiedhu, Pack & Wright and others have all improved or made telling contributions.

What I find intriguing is if we lose one or two because we don't make the next level will they have the same success elsewhere as individuals in the Premier League as they have as a collective with Bristol City?

Therein lies the big question for the club.

I really hope I'm proved wrong and that we get there.

before the season started the topic where do you think we will finish this season, in a flood of optimism I predicted 9th, would I be happy with that now, in truth no, that's how far they have raised my and I think a lot of people on here's expectations, it will be close but I now think we will finish in the same position as 2008 and this time we will win the play off final, there I've said it.

27 minutes ago, pillred said:

before the season started the topic where do you think we will finish this season, in a flood of optimism I predicted 9th, would I be happy with that now, in truth no, that's how far they have raised my and I think a lot of people on here's expectations, it will be close but I now think we will finish in the same position as 2008 and this time we will win the play off final, there I've said it.

I agree with you on winning the play off final. The team has proven time and time again that it can perform for the "big games" , combine that with LJ's experience and memory of loosing the Hull game we would be well prepared for the biggest game of our season. Can we make it that far? Yes I believe we can COYR!

19 hours ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Success for me is any improvement on league position this season so for me, yes 8th would be great - however there would still be that nagging sense of disappointment considering that at one point we were 2nd if we didn't make the play offs. The Carabao has been a nice added bonus.

I'm getting nervous that our signings so far in this transfer window are limited in number, not that I want too many but I don't want us to mirror what happened the season we lost to Hull in the playoff. The current squad looks good to me, with few exceptions but I think the last few weeks have exposed our lack of depth and we have been undone by injuries. I don't want it to be another best part of 10 years before we get another shot at the PL and I would anticipate should we not make it this season the team could be broken up in the summer.

At the start of the season, yes 8th would be classed as a success. Not now though. We are where we are in the table on merit and mustn't think of ourselves as plucky losers and let things drop away. Huddersfield didn't think "we shouldn't be up this high in the table really". They just got on with it and won promotion. We've got to do the same and keep competing to the last kick of the season. Even if it's the play-offs, I fancy this group of players to do it this time.

On 15/01/2018 at 00:52, Rednwhiterob said:

Absolutely.  The first half of the season shows we can do this.  I would be interested in your thoughts @Michael McIndoe on the inevitable risk of strengthening your squad versus upsetting the team cohesiveness.  

Take Derby for example. Three seasons ago they were almost certs for promotion and in January brought in significant reinforcements to get them over the line.  Needless to say they failed to even make the play-off places.

Apologies for the delay in answering this @Rednwhiterob. With regards to strengthening your squad vs upsetting the team cohesiveness...When trying to strengthen your squad it should be exactly that! Bringing in more players with the same or better ability for the manager to have more options on selection available. Whoever is signing the players, should know what characters they are and most importantly what suits their style of play. On top of this once a manager has made the signings and has them on the training ground, he will be able to see very quickly which of his new signings are fitting in the fastest therefore making his mind up who he wants to pick. The only way to upset the team cohesiveness is if the character doesn't fit into the dressing room or most importantly doesn't fit in to the style of play that the team is used to. At that point you have to ask questions on who is picking those players and why. 

Looking back exactly one year ago this weekend, we'd just lost a record 8th league game in a row at Forest in one of the worst games I've witnessed and were heading rapidly into league one. So if someone said a year on, we'd be in the play off places and the cup semi final with the same manager I'd have laughed at them. Midtable would have been a success before this season started although now it would be a disappointment. But whatever happens from now until May, I'd consider this season a success as huge progress has been made from last season!

14 minutes ago, REDLEE said:

Looking back exactly one year ago this weekend, we'd just lost a record 8th league game in a row at Forest in one of the worst games I've witnessed and were heading rapidly into league one. So if someone said a year on, we'd be in the play off places and the cup semi final with the same manager I'd have laughed at them. Midtable would have been a success before this season started although now it would be a disappointment. But whatever happens from now until May, I'd consider this season a success as huge progress has been made from last season!

As you say , 12 months ago we were heading for league 1, and personally I was in favour of Johnson leaving.

The comparison to last season is unbelievable, and I personally expected us to finish mid table at best this season. The season we’ve had, I think most would look on if with an element of disappointment if we didn’t finish top six. We know these opportunities don’t come along too often.

The season has been a success, semi final of a major competition, very much in the second leg against the best team in the country. Victory against Man Utd at the Gate and as others have said a team that is playing well.

I personally think we will make the top six (I don’t think we will finish top two, for various reasons). However, what ever happens this year, this football club is heading in the right direction.

Archived