IGNORED

3-5-2

Judda

Just had a thought after discussing the need for a RB.

Wright isn't the answer going forward. Great defensively but...

Anyhow I know lots of people aren't fans but it has worked for us before... (hard hat on) .... 3-5-2 anyone?

We have 3 very decent Central Defenders. Joe Bryan is very suited to wing back. Corey and Pack with Brownhill ahead of them. Pato linking with Bobby... just need someone for Right wing back...or Brownhill as right back and Pato front of mud and a big man up front with Bobby?

And before everyone starts saying how Cotts couldn't get it to work in Championship it doesn't mean Lee couldn't. We'r very different now withe the presding and neat pass and move stye of play...

Fire at will!

:gasmask:

It is actually my preferred formation. The only problem as you alluded to is the right wing back position. The wingbacks position IMO is almost the most  important position in this formation. You have to be a very good player on top of being super fit. We have one side covered, would need to find the other! Saw a very good wing back display from their right wing back yesterday, very impressed. It’s definitely an option though. COYR 

Brownhill could play RWB, however once he's back I actually think O'Dowda could work as a wing back if we're not playing out and out wingers. Only thing would be what do you do with Paterson if Diedhiou/Djuric came back and played well? 

1 hour ago, Judda said:

Just had a thought after discussing the need for a RB.

Wright isn't the answer going forward. Great defensively but...

Anyhow I know lots of people aren't fans but it has worked for us before... (hard hat on) .... 3-5-2 anyone?

We have 3 very decent Central Defenders. Joe Bryan is very suited to wing back. Corey and Pack with Brownhill ahead of them. Pato linking with Bobby... just need someone for Right wing back...or Brownhill as right back and Pato front of mud and a big man up front with Bobby?

And before everyone starts saying how Cotts couldn't get it to work in Championship it doesn't mean Lee couldn't. We'r very different now withe the presding and neat pass and move stye of play...

Fire at will!

:gasmask:

What's Will got to do with it ? 

352 is a great attacking formation, but you need to be able to revert to 532 when defending.  And that needs to be quick when being attacked on the break.

Joe is quick enough for this role on the left, but we dont have anyone really quick enough on the right.

As far as 2 up front is concerned, I like 2 forwards who can play deep allowing us to play 6 across the middle.  You do need to be able to bring on a big striker later on accasions if you play this way though, maybe even 2 and perhaps a winger.

————————FF————————

————Wright-Flint-Baker————

Brownhill—Pack—Smith—Bryan

———————Walsh———————

——————Reid——Pato—————

Diedhou for walsh once fit and Pato drops back. I feel we could lose the talent of brownhill in RWB and I don’t feel we have enough pace in the back 3 to stop any counters. In our champions season ayling and Williams were more than capable at covering for the wing backs and keeping up with opposing wingers.

The great conundrum of how do we shift the pieces around to work a slightly different option? The wing backs are critical to this system or playing 3-4-3 as per Chelsea last season.

My guess is that LJ isn't necessarily keen to tinker the system we currently have, which is really a variation of 4-5-1. He could have left 3 at the back yesterday when Flint went forward, but he didn't, he brought on Magnússon.

However I don't have a problem with Brownhill going to RWB. I actually think he could be extremely effective in that position, as it wouldn't stop him going forward. Yesterday in the first half he was very quiet but was much better second half running down the right side.

So actually it could be a 3-4-1-2 without being too destructive to the team or the way we play & we sacrifice a defender for another attacker:

Fielding

Wright               Flint              Baker

Brownhill    Smith     Pack      Bryan 

Paterson

Reid                   Diedhiou

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The great conundrum of how do we shift the pieces around to work a slightly different option? The wing backs are critical to this system or playing 3-4-3 as per Chelsea last season.

My guess is that LJ isn't necessarily keen to tinker the system we currently have, which is really a variation of 4-5-1. He could have left 3 at the back yesterday when Flint went forward, but he didn't, he brought on Magnússon.

However I don't have a problem with Brownhill going to RWB. I actually think he could be extremely effective in that position, as it wouldn't stop him going forward. Yesterday in the first half he was very quiet but was much better second half running down the right side.

So actually it could be a 3-4-1-2 without being too destructive to the team or the way we play & we sacrifice a defender for another attacker:

Fielding

Paterson

Reid                   Diedhiou

Agree with this but to mimic the Chelsea set up we would probably orient the front three a bit differently :

Fielding

Reid                   Paterson

Diedhiou

Not quite so much space between the front three, but definitely Reid and Paterson playing off Diedhou, and drifting around the place a bit. Really like the look of that set up actually.

Archived