IGNORED

RIP Cyrille Regis

Spoons

He was coming to the end of his career when I got into football but I still remember him as being a fantastic player. Massive impact on the culture of the game too and a key part of a generation that had to put up with a lot of unpleasantness in order to make things better for future generations of black players coming through. RIP. 

Memories of Cyrille on the Big Match, top striker, full of power n pace, scored different types of goals, and probably had to put up with some pretty intolerable terrace behaviour too.

Condolences to his family, friends and those @ WBA too.

RIP Cyrille Regis

Brilliant player, remember seeing him at AG for the first time & being surprised that he was only about 5ft 10, his physique made you assume he was much taller.

Great centre forward and a trailblazer for the many top black players who followed in his path.

RIP.

Andy Cole said Big Cyrille was the reason he got into football.

When you think of the times when Cyrille, Laurie Cunningham and Brendan Batson played, they suffered mindless and derogratory abuse from fans in that era, every weekend, just for being black. Yet, they still performed and continuously played, showing control and perseverance regardless at what was being shouted at them.

Three young men that literally helped change football.

Thankfully, the levels of racism are minimal nowadays compared to the 70s/80s. 

Sleep well Cyrille. Thoughts are with his family.

RIP Big Cyrille 

Can picture three things: 

1. That goal that won MOTD goal of the season when he ran from the halfway line with such power and pace and hit a shot so hard into the net the keeper was glad he didn’t get a hand on it

2. Changing his game when he went to Coventry to lead the line and getting an England cap when he perhaps should have deserved more earlier in his career. 

3. The look on his face when I almost ran him over in the Coventry Training Ground car park in the late 80s. He appeared from behind another car and I almost hit him. The look he gave me!  Jeez, I sh1t myself :P

No one should underestimate the impact Regis (and Cunningham, Batson and Anderson) had on the game of football in the UK.  They didn’t eradicate the racism overnight but they played with pride and inspired a generation of black kids to play the game.  The best thing about football in my lifetime is the way it has overcome racism.  Regis was a great man and deserves to be right up there with other groundbreaking minority icons.

nobody  much under 40 can possibly know what abuse players like Cyril played under, banana's thrown onto the pitch monkey chants etc, it's because players like him showed class and ignored it and showed up the people that did it by remaining above it that it helped eradicate racism and make the game today what it is largely free from the things that black players in the 70s had to endure, rip Cyril you were a credit to your profession.   

I had the pleasure of interviewing Cyrille in my radio presenting career. 

He was a gentleman. Off air we talked about books and of a video made about him which he had never seen! I lent it to him and got it back.

The first time I saw him was at Ninian Park when England played Wales in the home internationals. We were standing on the terrace by the corner flag. Cyrille had just come on a sub and duly wandered over to take the corner. The size of the man was frightening. I wouldn't have wanted to have tackled him. He made Norman Hunter look like a wimp!

A genuine, lovely man.

So sad. Another iconic player for us fans of a certain age gone far too soon. As others have said, today`s black players have so much to thank him for (along with notable others) - it must have been hell sometimes back then and huge credit to him for fighting through it when at times it must have seemed easier to just jack it in.

RIP Cyrille, you won`t be forgotten in a hurry.

Archived