IGNORED

RIP Cyrille Regis

Spoons

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

RIP Big Cyrille 

Can picture three things: 

1. That goal that won MOTD goal of the season when he ran from the halfway line with such power and pace and hit a shot so hard into the net the keeper was glad he didn’t get a hand on it

2. Changing his game when he went to Coventry to lead the line and getting an England cap when he perhaps should have deserved more earlier in his career. 

3. The look on his face when I almost ran him over in the Coventry Training Ground car park in the late 80s. He appeared from behind another car and I almost hit him. The look he gave me!  Jeez, I sh1t myself :P

Worthy of another look:

Skill, pace, pure power. That was Liquid Football.

Plucked from non-league football (Hayes, a team familiar to Bristol Rovers) in his late teens, he didn't benefit from a professional/league background or training and, much like Ian Wright and Stuart Pearce, seemed always to give the impression that he was aware of his roots (I seem to recall he was related to the sprinter, John Regis) and always appeared humble and grateful for the chances and privileges afforded to him by top class football.

I well recall the odious racial abuse given to Cyrille Regis and other players of the same colour back in the 1970s, but not once do I ever recall him mention it when he was a player.

Being a Bristollian and not moving to the West Mids until after his career finished, I was unaware of how Cyrille Regis was absolutely adored until tonight.

Just listened to a phone-in tribute on BBC West Midlands radio and grown men were calling in all emotional and in tears. Even the presenter had to hold back and stated it was the hardest show he had ever done.

This man was iconic in the area and was said to be a better person than a footballer. What does that say? I remember growing up watching him on MOTD and he was one hell of a player.

Along with Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson he received dogs abuse by opposition fans for being black - but he and the others rose above it.

R.I.P Cyrille. 

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Plucked from non-league football (Hayes, a team familiar to Bristol Rovers) in his late teens, he didn't benefit from a professional/league background or training and, much like Ian Wright and Stuart Pearce, seemed always to give the impression that he was aware of his roots (I seem to recall he was related to the sprinter, John Regis) and always appeared humble and grateful for the chances and privileges afforded to him by top class football.

I well recall the odious racial abuse given to Cyrille Regis and other players of the same colour back in the 1970s, but not once do I ever recall him mention it when he was a player.

Correct. He was also the uncle of Jason Roberts, ex Gas and Baggies striker.

20 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Correct. He was also the uncle of Jason Roberts, ex Gas and Baggies striker.

I knew about the Jason Roberts connection and remember thinking when he signed for City that, if he proved to be half as good as his uncle, we would have signed a star.

Unfortunately, JR only lasted a game or two before, IIRC, going on holiday and signing for Rovers when he returned! 

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:57, Red Right Hand said:

Wouldn`t it be nice if the FA called for a minute`s applause before this weekend`s games as a mark of respect for what he contributed towards removing racism from football.

I see the premier league are doing this and fair play to them but the EFL aren`t.

Why not FFS? It`s a shocking decision not to IMO. I wonder if clubs can do something themselves if they want or would they get punished by the league if they did?

18 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I see the premier league are doing this and fair play to them but the EFL aren`t.

Why not FFS? It`s a shocking decision not to IMO. I wonder if clubs can do something themselves if they want or would they get punished by the league if they did?

I remember when the Chelsea Vice Chairman Matthew Harding died, all 92 league clubs were told to have a minute's silence before the game in recognition to his contribution to the FA. 

Using a simple formula where Matthew Harding=1 minute of silence, all 92 league clubs should hold an indefinite number of minutes silence for Cyrille for his contribution to the game.

6 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I remember when the Chelsea Vice Chairman Matthew Harding died, all 92 league clubs were told to have a minute's silence before the game in recognition to his contribution to the FA. 

Using a simple formula where Matthew Harding=1 minute of silence, all 92 league clubs should hold an indefinite number of minutes silence for Cyrille for his contribution to the game.

I wonder if we would be up for a minute`s applause on Tuesday, say in the 59th minute? I know I would. It would be the respectful thing to do. If the EFL can`t be arsed, let`s do it ourselves. It`s really making me angry that the league haven`t organised anything.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO   any chance we could with a picture of the big man on the screen? I cant find Adam Baker`s sig on here for some reason otherwise I`d tag him in too.

Archived