IGNORED

Striker Needed

stump

2 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

He would add height up front

So would Akinfenwa & he’d probably be as much use to us as well!! Is size the only requirement in our transfer business?

Who is a new ‘lump’ going to replace in the team? Don’t forget that said ‘lump’ is going to need to play to our style of play & be able to chase everything down!!

3 hours ago, mozo said:

The Post said over the weekend that Sam Gallagher has been linked, but I don't recall that being in the news?  I only saw that linked by OTIB poster?

That's the same thing to them, isn't it?

Read it on here then print it..

Think stuff is clearly going on behind the scenes, Derek Adams' apparent comment re Engvall and us bringing someone in before he could go on loan to them makes a lot of sense..

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think, and I don't mean this to sound offensive, some people don't know that many players so suggest the same ones over and over. 

Trevor Francis, Trevor Francis, Trevor Francis. Young kid, quick and scores goals, just down the road in Plymuff, wtf are we waiting for? I'm not giving up on this one until it happens...

7 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

We don’t know yet but Djuric could be a sick note. The jury is still out on Diedhou, but if he gets injured again, we’re screwed. Competiton for places will not do any harm, and we can afford the money. Go and get a striker, our season is relying on it. 

Playing devil’s advocate, both have been injured for a good while and we haven’t been screwed so far, so if they did get injured we’ve proved we can play without both.  Totally agree that we could of course end up flogging key players if we don’t get much game time of Diedhiou and Djúric over the next 4/5 months.

6 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I can understand the OP TBH. Without Fammy or Milan we are desperately lightweight up front. On Saturday, the ball kept coming back at us as poor Bobby couldn't hold the ball up against their defenders. If Fammy is likely to be back very soon, all is well but we are very short if he isn't. Woodrow is just not up to the job and the rest are too small. If we had another larger forward in (maybe on loan) it means we don't have to rush Fammy back and risk him being injured again, I guess. 

But in other games a lack of stereotypical big man, hasn’t held us back.  All about service.  If only he’d actually give Woodrow a try?  Should’ve done this already so it wouldn’t seem such a gamble.

6 hours ago, redapple said:

In an ordinary season I guess you’d  patiently wait for your injured strikers to get back to fitness. But this is a once in a decade opportunity to get promotion and 6 games without a recognised Number 9 could cost us a few points and diminish team confidence. I’d get the best possible forward in now whether on loan or permanent. If we’re top loaded with strikers next July then I’m sure we’d be able to sell one of them on. 

Fair point, but we have coped playing Bobby and Pato, and even to some extent, pushing Flint up.  Probably not sustainable across 4/5 months, but a few games, yes.  Again, why hasn’t he given Woodrow a go, when Taylor hasn’t done enough.  Guess we are missing what impact he’s having on the training ground.  But in flashes, even as recently as Reading, Woodrow has showed he can be a partner for Reid.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think for the quality of team we're aspiring to be, we can do a bit better. Djuric, when fit, is far superior in my opinion.

Perhaps would've been fine when we were first promoted, but need better quality now.

I think a truly fit Djúric is a different ‘beast’ to one playing through injury.  In that very brief spell when he returned from summer’s op and got himself sharp, he looked a real asset...more than just a target man, but more mobile than i’d imagined and a good touch, which I already knew he had, but also good appreciation of runners too.

57 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

So would Akinfenwa & he’d probably be as much use to us as well!! Is size the only requirement in our transfer business?

Who is a new ‘lump’ going to replace in the team? Don’t forget that said ‘lump’ is going to need to play to our style of play & be able to chase everything down!!

Akinfenwa isn’t tall....5’11"....but about the same wide. :P

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Don't know if you listen already but the One Stream in Bristol Podcast have a chat about him in this week's episode.  Plus an interview with a Newport fan all about his loan and his prospects. 

For my money he's certainly an exciting young player who could probably do a job in the Champ - whether he is Premier League quality I don't know.

Just listened to the interview. Some valuable insight. Perhaps a little pie in the sky from the Newport fan and an average talent in Div2 probably does look better than he is right now. But for his age, and the way he's developing he sounds good.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But in other games a lack of stereotypical big man, hasn’t held us back.  All about service.  If only he’d actually give Woodrow a try?  Should’ve done this already so it wouldn’t seem such a gamble.

Fair comment Dave. Saturday was the first time it's really shown so obviously IMHO but that may not be the first time it's happened. All I'm saying is IF we were to loan another 'bigger' forward, the need for Fammy to get back wouldn't be so urgent. Given our good position, wouldn't a loan fee be worth paying to cover that eventuality?

40 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair comment Dave. Saturday was the first time it's really shown so obviously IMHO but that may not be the first time it's happened. All I'm saying is IF we were to loan another 'bigger' forward, the need for Fammy to get back wouldn't be so urgent. Given our good position, wouldn't a loan fee be worth paying to cover that eventuality?

Yes, agree.  If LJ had as much faith in Woodrow as me, we would be covered, but he doesn’t, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see us bring someone in.

Archived