IGNORED

Paul Lambert new Stoke manager

And Its Smith

There forum is worth a read if anyone fancies cheering up on a wet Monday morning, here is a particular favourite.....

It's not even the normal old boys' club of Allardyce and Moyes.
It's not even the second tier old boys' club of Hodgson and Pardew.
It's the shit-stained dungeon 10 feet under the floorboards of the old boys' club.

Stoke can **** right off. Can't be arsed with football at all.

It's an odd appointment for sure but I suppose they had to look outside the box given their first three targets were unavailable.

To be fair to Lambert, he did well at Wycome and Colchester, did a cracking job at Norwich, did okay at Blackburn and did well at Wolves. Villa was a bit of a disaster but it is possible it would have been for anyone.

Surprising and bizarre though it is - and I'd be in uproar if I was a Stoke fan - I couldn't actually name a manager who is more qualified and likely to take it. I would back him to keep them up. I actually think it's a bit comparable to when we appointed Cotts. Most of us were puzzled and underwhelmed but it might just work out in hindsight.

4 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

There forum is worth a read if anyone fancies cheering up on a wet Monday morning, here is a particular favourite.....

It's not even the normal old boys' club of Allardyce and Moyes.
It's not even the second tier old boys' club of Hodgson and Pardew.
It's the shit-stained dungeon 10 feet under the floorboards of the old boys' club.

Stoke can **** right off. Can't be arsed with football at all.

The Oatcake is worth a read. This one particularly made me feel that overall, they're maybe not too happy with the appointment ... "this is the fetid cherry on the stinking turd-cake".

Read more: http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/275417/official-paul-lambert-confirmed-manager#ixzz54FmRbkWN

Stoke fans appear to not know they are even ####ing born..! 

They need to remember that they are a shite club in a shite city and don’t know how good they’ve had it for the past 10 years! 

Reality check needed and a good example of why, as much as I’d love to get there, I’m not so convinced that getting to the Premier league is quite the “dream”, long term, that many picture! 

Fourth choice, they wanted Rowett, Sanches Flores & O'Neill, who all said "no".

Not sure who their fans thought they would get then? They prefer British managers so it was almost certain to be someone who had been (or was still in) The Championship..

Him, Grayson or Warburton..

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fourth choice, they wanted Rowett, Sanches Flores & O'Neill, who all said "no".

Not sure who their fans thought they would get then? They prefer British managers so it was almost certain to be someone who had been (or was still in) The Championship..

Him, Grayson or Warburton..

Shame; we could've done with getting him off our  wage bill! 

23 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Stoke fans appear to not know they are even ####ing born..! 

They need to remember that they are a shite club in a shite city and don’t know how good they’ve had it for the past 10 years! 

Reality check needed and a good example of why, as much as I’d love to get there, I’m not so convinced that getting to the Premier league is quite the “dream”, long term, that many picture! 

Strange post. they should shrug their shoulders and say 'ah well we've had a good run' ? Sure you would do that!  Bit of a loser mentality

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Strange post. they should shrug their shoulders and say 'ah well we've had a good run' ? Sure you would do that!  Bit of a loser mentality

I was meaning more along the lines of thinking that they are bigger & better than a manager who has a pretty decent record, apart from his time at the shambles of what was Aston Villa. 

I’m not sure who else is available that would be an undoubted better appointment...?

Facts are, they have “had a good run”. They’ve not yo-yo’d Like many others. Of course than doesn’t mean they should just concede, but not many clubs go up and stay there infinitely.  

My post then went on to question whether, longer term, trying to simply survive in the Prem is really such a wonderful “dream”..? After the initial novelty of the first season or 2 has worn off. 

28 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I was meaning more along the lines of thinking that they are bigger & better than a manager who has a pretty decent record, apart from his time at the shambles of what was Aston Villa. 

I’m not sure who else is available that would be an undoubted better appointment...?

Facts are, they have “had a good run”. They’ve not yo-yo’d Like many others. Of course than doesn’t mean they should just concede, but not many clubs go up and stay there infinitely.  

My post then went on to question whether, longer term, trying to simply survive in the Prem is really such a wonderful “dream”..? After the initial novelty of the first season or 2 has worn off. 

Completely agree with the last paragraph.  I have no massive urge to see us become  a West Brom type club.   Surviving every year.  The Premier League is not everything to me  but think that is a minority view.  Certainly when we were debating on here the importance of beating Manchester United versus the next league game, most would rather have won the next league game to help get us to the ‘promised land’

1 hour ago, Judda said:

They'd have been better off having a punt on LJ.... not that he'd go there!

?

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Completely agree with the last paragraph.  I have no massive urge to see us become  a West Brom type club.   Surviving every year.  The Premier League is not everything to me  but think that is a minority view.  Certainly when we were debating on here the importance of beating Manchester United versus the next league game, most would rather have won the next league game to help get us to the ‘promised land’

Yes most would, what is the point of playing LEAGUE football unless you want to climb the League(s) to be the best you can. To be anything else would be a fraud.

11 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

?

Yes most would, what is the point of playing LEAGUE football unless you want to climb the League(s) to be the best you can. To be anything else would be a fraud.

We all want to get as high as we can, obviously. 

The above conversation is simply acknowledging that achieving “the dream” of reaching the Prem, may well not be quite what people “dream” of, once the initial novelty has worn off after a couple of seasons. 

The odd season (if successful) back in the Championship isn’t the end of the world and actually probably quite enjoyable, once fighting to survive year on year in the Prem has lost it’s shine. 

All nice problems to face, I suppose! I certainly want to get there. I’m just being realistic about what the reality might be, if/when we achieve it. 

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

No they couldn’t. Far too downmarket for Giggs who would never have applied. 

Could Giggs do it in a wet Tuesday night in Stoke?

Yes, if he fancied the Stoke player's wife.

23 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

?

I go to football to be entertained and hopefully see us win.  If you are all about league position then you will ultimately be disappointed as we can always finish higher than we do. 

Still remember walking out of the ground when we lost 2-1 in the play off season and hearing chants of 'we'll never play you again' - so f**k em I hope they crash and burn. 

32 minutes ago, Spoons said:

A cheap, uninspiring appointment by the stoke board .

Always amazes me chairman/ owners don't mind splashing millions on players but take cheap , safe options when it comes to managers.

Though I don't think it's a 'safe' appointment!

Saw Stoke at 21/10 to go down today... I suspect he will see that change!

For once wouldn’t it be nice to see a manager, upon appointment say "I don’t give a F£€& If i’ve Only just been appointed and we’ve got Man Utd away tonight, it’s my side now, i’m Gonna take responsibility for the team from this point on"

That’s what i’d do, sod my win (lose) percentage. Maybe my new set of players might think differentlyabout me.

It’s an easy option to sit in the stands.

Surely he knows enough about Stoke....he can ask Eddie’s opinion if he wants a second opinion.  He’ll have learned a bit tonight, but not as much as if he’d picked the side and given the instructions.

Archived