IGNORED

Section 82 expansion...Ideas and Pitches?

Mr Popodopolous

I posted this on another thread but I thought (it could be merged into the appropriate topic if necessary) I thought a thread of this nature could be useful definitely.

It's obviously the club we need to convince but more than that the SAG, the Local Authority and I guess Licensing Authority.

In other words- ideas and persuasive arguments for the expansion of S82...doubtless the club could take some good ones and add it to their reasoning if indeed they are inclined to push for this.

Over to you all!

- S82 blocks sell out first. The demand is clearly there.

- The club have spoken about Ashton Gate under the lights being a special place. Why not make it a special place all year round?

- The players and coaching staff have always praised the atmosphere and the fans - just look where players run to celebrate when they score at the South Stand end.

- If we're really interested in the fine margins as a club, looking for every 1% we can get, surely it makes sense to make AG as noisy as possible.

I’d certqinly use the example of 7600 all standing at Etihad how standing can be a positive thing / experience and more importantly, in any pitch , done safely,  without a single incident or problem

Cant have random standing due to those that wish or need to sit but a bigger area of standing would undoubtedly be popular and taken up

In order to make the business case it might be worth referring to something like Vincent Kompany's recent research into the link between a large, vocal home support and results on the pitch.

Many will have heard of this and listened to the referred to 5Live podcast but it's worth drawing out just this quote.  He refers to the Premier League but clearly it translates to the Championship as well.

"Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live’s Wake Up To Money, Kompany said: “You get better home advantage depending on the atmosphere that you can create within your facilities, and that is linked to the people who enter your stadiums...At what point do you decide we are actually now going to make sure if it is a TV product, it [the Premier League] is the best product in the world? Meaning not just the best players, but the best atmosphere in the stadium; meaning the right people in the right place."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/05/manchester-city-vincent-kompany-premier-league-drop-prices

Edit: The FT also summarise it very well.

https://www.ft.com/content/6c4ff8ec-f232-11e7-b220-857e26d1aca4

The players and management have stated recently how much they value the vocal support of the fans and the advantage it gives on the pitch.

If you value something, you have to nurture and encourage it. 

Expanding section 82 would be a statement from the club that they truly value the advantage vocal support can give. 

I agree with expanding it, but you have to consider those that want to sit and rightly so. Personally I would love to be in that section but have to base myself as close as I possibly can, big contingent of us still sing and undoubtedly contribute to the S82 atmosphere from close  proximity. Even if S82 boo us for our attempts of a bounce around!!!

I think the problem will come with sightlines in all honesty, it is currently in one section of the stadium that won't affect the views of those who prefer to sit. For example if we expanded it to approximately around to where the goal is, those sat to the left would struggle to see the right hand corner of the pitch due to those standing I think?

6 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Expand it into the ajoining block in the Dolman,that would add another 500 or so singers,not sure about obstructions issues with that block though.

The alternative could be that the corners where the SS wraps around to the Dolman and Lansdown become the seated areas and the middle becomes standing.

I'm sure the majority of seats in 18, 19, 25, 26 and 27 you can see the pitch if the central SS stands.

13 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The alternative could be that the corners where the SS wraps around to the Dolman and Lansdown become the seated areas and the middle becomes standing.

I'm sure the majority of seats in 18, 19, 25, 26 and 27 you can see the pitch if the central SS stands.

How do you work that out? If the middle three blocks, and S21, 22 & 23 stand, then nobody in the corners can see the opposite corners unless of course they all stand. 

Ok for the Westham Cup Match they gave out scarfs, we then had the "Bristol City Wave" with the scarfs, maybe something down these lines, also noticed at Man City how the club brought out the flags just before kick off for the supporters to wave, not like BCFC were Section 82 provide the flags vis supporters money and hard work

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

How do you work that out? If the middle three blocks, and S21, 22 & 23 stand, then nobody in the corners can see the opposite corners unless of course they all stand. 

I've just got my ruler out and 18, 26 and 27 could all sit if the rest of the SS is standing where it wraps. I assumed 19 and 25 would also be fine but they're not.

14 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I've just got my ruler out and 18, 26 and 27 could all sit if the rest of the SS is standing where it wraps. I assumed 19 and 25 would also be fine but they're not.

I'm not convinced there would be enough ticket demand / interest (just yet :shifty:) for the entire South Stand corner to corner to be a standing singing section.

Would be amazing though but probably less likely to happen than my suggestion we sign Debuchy :facepalm:

Personally i reckon a big portion that are currently in the south stand would be happy to stand. What the club could do is take a survey from those in there and see how many would be up for standing and if they get a good percent then they could ask if any one from other parts of the ground would want to stand, swap those who want to sit with those who want to stand. s19 to s25 standing and give up s26 and 27 for sitters maybe. 

Just now, reformed_red said:

I'm not convinced there would be enough ticket demand / interest (just yet :shifty:) for the entire South Stand corner to corner to be a standing singing section.

Would be amazing though but probably less likely to happen than my suggestion we sign Debuchy :facepalm:

I get that. However it seems to me that you either got three blocks standing or three blocks sitting because any other configuration leaves standers blocking the sitters view.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d certqinly use the example of 7600 all standing at Etihad how standing can be a positive thing / experience and more importantly, in any pitch , done safely,  without a single incident or problem

Cant have random standing due to those that wish or need to sit but a bigger area of standing would undoubtedly be popular and taken up

A lot of good points here- the one highlighted especially IMO.

This is key I feel, in convincing the SAG and the licensing authority on this side of things. I would say that the passion, top an extent the demand and yeah the commercial arguments are all vital and will help to build a case- but the bit I highlighted is a very good starting point I feel- especially done safely, without an incident or problem!

I would add also, you would IMO need a mix of stewards in there- yes some SIA types in case there are issues but also plenty and you could transfer some from other stands who are fans themselves, like good fans, know the club and have a fair idea of the fanbase, and an understanding that football fans can stand, swear, sing and similar. That it is natural at football, it's a passionate sport!

Perhaps a contact between a willing steward who understands the fanbase and a key stand leader, obviously someone from the original S82 and a leader/key member in any hypothetical expansion. A bit of rapport building and see how it develops from there. I think the SAG would appreciate something like this, personally.

I’m fully behind expanding section 82 , maybe like others have said , include a block in the dolman , and another block in the south stand. 

I’m sure I read an email or letter from the club that if we move from the Atyeo to the south stand there might be scope to expand 

the demand is there as it sells out first , section 82 is a force for good , they are encouraging a noisy and colourful stadium ,  maybe the new  fan liaison guy could look into ? 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A lot of good points here- the one highlighted especially IMO.

This is key I feel, in convincing the SAG and the licensing authority on this side of things. I would say that the passion, top an extent the demand and yeah the commercial arguments are all vital and will help to build a case- but the bit I highlighted is a very good starting point I feel- especially done safely, without an incident or problem!

I would add also, you would IMO need a mix of stewards in there- yes some SIA types in case there are issues but also plenty and you could transfer some from other stands who are fans themselves, like good fans, know the club and have a fair idea of the fanbase, and an understanding that football fans can stand, swear, sing and similar. That it is natural at football, it's a passionate sport!

Perhaps a contact between a willing steward who understands the fanbase and a key stand leader, obviously someone from the original S82 and a leader/key member in any hypothetical expansion. A bit of rapport building and see how it develops from there. I think the SAG would appreciate something like this, personally.

Again , Tuesday night (Was Tier 3) _ where we were we didn’t see a steward within 40/50m & not a single hint of any issUe all night

Think that If left to settle and become self policing if some overstepped any mark

2 hours ago, South Somerset Red said:

Personally i reckon a big portion that are currently in the south stand would be happy to stand. What the club could do is take a survey from those in there and see how many would be up for standing and if they get a good percent then they could ask if any one from other parts of the ground would want to stand, swap those who want to sit with those who want to stand. s19 to s25 standing and give up s26 and 27 for sitters maybe. 

If you do the survey include all ST Holders. I’d move to the south stand from the Lansdown if I could stand. 

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Again , Tuesday night (Was Tier 3) _ where we were we didn’t see a steward within 40/50m & not a single hint of any issUe all night

Think that If left to settle and become self policing if some overstepped any mark

Agreed about self-policing. Good medium-long term goal IMO.

In short run though, point of contact between steward and a key fan in there would reassure SAG I believe and make this more likely.

On a general note... From afar, police in S82? Wholly unnecessary IMO. Same goes for SIA stewards but especially the number!!

1 hour ago, CTIDhc said:

How amazing would it look though if all behind the goal was all stood with flags and Section 82 banners, one for the future I hope:fingerscrossed:

Surely this has to be the long term aim? We need to try and create our own Kop, even if it takes a couple of seasons to move people/organise. It would make a HUGE difference. 

If @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO or @Mkelly or maybe even both, are at the FAN Meeting on Thursday.

Perhaps this issue could be raised further there? At least the possible feasibility of the expansion idea at this stage. (By which I mean in terms of what might be realistically allowable, for example is there a percentage of the ground max in home ends that is 'allowed' for this, or is it more open ended? That might be one angle).

Club and S82 messed up staying in the Atyeo. As soon as the SS was built the back of the stand starting with behind the goal should have been the singing/ discrectionary standing section. Really was short sighted the way it was done. Now int he position where again to expand/move it you need to re adjust season ticket holders yet again, when it could have been done in one seemless move when we got our new stand.

Anyways...... if the crowds stay/keep getting bigger announce the back of SS will be singing/standing and that people can buy Upper Lansdown for the same price for 2 seasons (or something like that) if they don't like the idea of being surrounded by the unwashed masses :city: and then finally stop dicking around with seating / allocations.

While I totally agree that S82 should, in a perfect world, be expanded, I don't see how it can happen due to blocking views. If it expanded into the Dolman, the block next to it wouldn't be able to see the SS / Dolman corner and the same problem applies if it expanded into the South stand. 

As I said, I wish you well and it's would be great but, the opposite corner apart, I can't see how it can be done. 

Archived