IGNORED

Jack Rodwell - Nothing to worry about & no it’s not a rumour or suggestion.

Tipps69

Sunderland have told him that he can leave now on a free transfer, if he agrees to give up £5.4m he would be owed in wages!

I have no idea if he’s agreed to the deal or not but I’d hazard a guess that after his performances & actual games played over the last few years, he’d do very well to find a club willing to give him that over the next few years & he’d probably not walk away without anything......

Sunderland must be really up against it financially, they’ve had a good few years of Premier League money, not really spent anything in the last year & managed to pick up £30m from the sell of Pickford alone over the summer & as well as having Grabban leave to go back to Bournemouth, they have also allowed James Vaughan to join Wigan for £300,000! That leaves them with no experienced strikers in their squad! They really do seem to be clearing out the decks ready for League One & if they are in that much trouble financially, how long before they are going to be in a similar situation to Bolton of only a couple of seasons ago?!?

5 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Can you name the three English clubs who have suffered three consecutive relegations in the Football League? No cheating!

Us, I believe Wolves followed us one season behind and then I would be guessing at Portsmouth maybe?

Thought I read yesterday, he went to them with the request to leave the club, and Sunderland offered to tear up his contract and let him walk & then he wasn't so keen. 

Rodwell could leave and get back to playing, but he knows he won't get 70k a week elsewhere, probably struggle to command half those wages a week considering his injury record. 

I always wonder what the truth is with a player like Rodwell, and others who are at one point tipped to be a future England great only for their career to fizzle out.

Did injuries do for him? Was it his attitude, or bad career choices, or was the potential just never really there to be as good as people hoped he would be? Or a combination of all those? I guess we will never know.

I hope he finds a club where things work out for him but I fear he will only drop further into obscurity.

6 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Can you name the three English clubs who have suffered three consecutive relegations in the Football League? No cheating!

I know us and Wolves are the only ones to go from top flight to (the old) fourth division in consecutive seasons. Am assuming the other one dropped from Championship to Conference? I think it is Luton as someone said above.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I always wonder what the truth is with a player like Rodwell, and others who are at one point tipped to be a future England great only for their career to fizzle out.

Did injuries do for him? Was it his attitude, or bad career choices, or was the potential just never really there to be as good as people hoped he would be? Or a combination of all those? I guess we will never know.

I hope he finds a club where things work out for him but I fear he will only drop further into obscurity.

It smacks of the rediculous over hyping of any English player when they've achieved absolutely zero. John Stones £40m! Andy Carrol £35m! Stewart Downing £25m! Rediculous sums for absolute mediocrity. 

He had a decent season at Everton as he came through (circa 2009?) prompting Man City to spend £12m on him. He won nothing, he didn't back it up over a few seasons and he had injury niggles. Fair enough that £12m was potentially small change for the next Gerrard as he was once hailed.

He barely played at Man City, plagued by injury, before Sunderland spaffed £10m at 70k a week. Ludicrous. They deserve it.

Don't blame him to be fair, Sunderland fans saying "cancel your contract and hang your boots up now, you have enough money". Lets say he has another 50 years alive and is worth 10m, for 'working' another 2 years (1/25th) he's going to make another 5m (1/2th) of his net worth. If someone said work 2 more years and gain a 50% increase of cash in the bank for the rest of your life I'd bite your arm off.

9 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Bristol City, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Luton Town.

Wolves of course are also part of the "We've won every division" club. Two very fine records to hold.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Another player making a mistake moving to a big team for money. Should have stayed with Everton.

Can't imagine Everton would have dropped 70k a week on him, and if he has underlying fitness and injury issues, then he has probably played an absolute blinder.

Would you rather be injured and unable to play on 25k a week or on 70k a week?

3 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

Don't blame him to be fair, Sunderland fans saying "cancel your contract and hang your boots up now, you have enough money". Lets say he has another 50 years alive and is worth 10m, for 'working' another 2 years (1/25th) he's going to make another 5m (1/2th) of his net worth. If someone said work 2 more years and gain a 50% increase of cash in the bank for the rest of your life I'd bite your arm off.

But he is still a greedy bar steward, would you feel the same if one of our players did the same to Bristol City?

The Ashton Gate 8 had the same dilemma , the difference is, they had class, and a genuine feeling for the club and the fans, not just their wallet

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

But he is still a greedy bar steward, would you feel the same if one of our players did the same to Bristol City?

The Ashton Gate 8 had the same dilemma , the difference is, they had class, and a genuine feeling for the club and the fans, not just their wallet

Oh I don't agree with it at all, and I wouldn't do it myself. Footballers don't think in the same way as us though, so I completely understand why he's doing it.

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

It's a bit different to 82.

Also, if Sunderland considered that contract such a risk, why did they offer it?

12 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Northampton in the top flight? Not sure about that

1965 - 66. On loan for one season only

As for Sunderland - how on earth did they persuade Coleman to go there? I really don't understand why he done that. His stock was never going to be higher. I don't particularly rate him as a manager, he done a wonderful job with (possibly) the best group of Welsh players ever, but I don't recall anything spectacular club wise before that. Not a club I'm overly fond of, not fussed either way, but they do have wonderful fans. They always brought more to the Gate than those wonderful, world beating Geordies, who have always supported their club in such big numbers, when times were tough (cough, cough, bollocks)

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can't imagine Everton would have dropped 70k a week on him, and if he has underlying fitness and injury issues, then he has probably played an absolute blinder.

Would you rather be injured and unable to play on 25k a week or on 70k a week?

Fair point mate. Not sure if he suffered from many injuries at Everton.

26 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

Oh I don't agree with it at all, and I wouldn't do it myself. Footballers don't think in the same way as us though, so I completely understand why he's doing it.

Not having a pop at you and accept what you say, however, why do we as fans let them get away with it? Whether he likes it or not Jack Rodwell is part of the financial problems at Sunderland which are causing them to drop down the leagues and could possibly lead to the club going bust. This has caused misery for their dwindling support. Sunderland players need to look at their own part in this mess, as well as the managers / owners. As always the real sufferers are the fans, few of which can expect to "earn" £5M anytime soon.  

8 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Not having a pop at you and accept what you say, however, why do we as fans let them get away with it? Whether he likes it or not Jack Rodwell is part of the financial problems at Sunderland which are causing them to drop down the leagues and could possibly lead to the club going bust. This has caused misery for their dwindling support. Sunderland players need to look at their own part in this mess, as well as the managers / owners. As always the real sufferers are the fans, few of which can expect to "earn" £5M anytime soon.  

The players get offered a contract and expect the club to honour it.

Nothing wrong with that.

If Rodwell played outstandingly well from day on and a club then offered Sunderland 200mil for him, Sunderland would have been desperate to sell him.

Works both ways.

Archived