IGNORED

Happy Anniversary Mark Ashton

CyderInACan

Interesting comments re the Apprentice. :-)

You don't get to become successful in running your own business by being a 'Bellend'. Ask our own SL about that.

Whilst it is a TV programme and made to 'Entertain'...they will look for 'Characters'.

Lots of them are young and dare I say, misguided, and not particularly intelligent in general knowledge or 'street wise'. Many of us were like that in our younger days. That dumbing down of 'General knowledge' is noticeable across the country these days. However...it doesn't effect business and productivity.

If anyone has had any dealings with this type of TV programme, you will know how edited it is, to make people look stupid for Entertainments sake.

You have to laugh...generally people talking 'W@nky Bollox' ( I like that :-) ) end up running businesses and the making the world go round...yet the people they employ end up moaning about how they speak.

It's a funny old world.

In saying that...I'd struggle to do business and take seriously a person, that thought Fir trees were 'Fur Trees'....trees covered in Fur!!!  as one contestant asked this past year.WTF!!!

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

You don't get to become successful in running your own business by being a 'Bellend'. Ask our own SL about that.

Whilst it is a TV programme and made to 'Entertain'...they will look for 'Characters'.

Lots of them are young and dare I say, misguided, and not particularly intelligent in general knowledge or 'street wise'. Many of us were like that in our younger days. That dumbing down of 'General knowledge' is noticeable across the country these days. However...it doesn't effect business and productivity.

If anyone has had any dealings with this type of TV programme, you will know how edited it is, to make people look stupid for Entertainments sake.

You have to laugh...generally people talking 'W@nky Bollox' ( I like that :-) ) end up running businesses and the making the world go round...yet the people they employ end up moaning about how they speak.

It's a funny old world.

In saying that...I'd struggle to do business and take seriously a person, that thought Fir trees were 'Fur Trees'....trees covered in Fur!!!  as one contestant asked this past year.WTF!!!

You know what, I would be very very surprised if SL uses too much ridiculous corporate speak

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/your-boss-say-this-top-7172172

These are the type of things middle managers say rather than the actual bosses.

Speaking of the Apprentice, I doubt Alan Sugar has ever had a 'thought shower' or asked someone to 'peel the onion'.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a funny old world.

That's not true! Loads of people run businesses and are quite capable of being CEOs etc without talking corporate bullshit!

One thing that is undeniable is that city seem to be far more savvy (ruthless?) At the negotiating table nowadays. 
Deals like landing Tammy, recovering most of our tomlin fee and getting a ludicrous amount for kodjia simply couldn't have been achieved by us in the past. 
I'm assuming that Ashton is behind a lot of those deals, and for that reason I think we can all sit through a bit of cringey corporate speak. He's been an excellent addition

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a funny old world.

I take your first paragraph and I say...

'Mike Ashley'

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You know what, I would be very very surprised if SL uses too much ridiculous corporate speak

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/your-boss-say-this-top-7172172

These are the type of things middle managers say rather than the actual bosses.

Speaking of the Apprentice, I doubt Alan Sugar has ever had a 'thought shower' or asked someone to 'peel the onion'.

I agree. It generally tends to be the middle management that speak this way. It's also in a generation thing.

16 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

That's not true! Loads of people run businesses and are quite capable of being CEOs etc without talking corporate bullshit!

I know...I'm generalising.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree. It generally tends to be the middle management that speak this way. It's also in a generation thing.

I know...I'm generalising.

I would say the opposite is true, the higher up the corporate ladder you get, the less likely people will speak in this manner. 

23 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I would say the opposite is true, the higher up the corporate ladder you get, the less likely people will speak in this manner. 

Really? I've always found those at both ends of a business are the easiest to talk to. The tea lady and secretary and Directors/owners are generally the nicest people you'll speak to.

It's people in the middle who are trying to climb the ladder that seem the most obnoxious and speak in a manner that 'offends' so many.

Again 'Generalising'...but generalisations don't become that, unless things happen often.

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

Really? I've always found those at both ends of a business are the easiest to talk to. The tea lady and secretary and Directors/owners are generally the nicest people you'll speak to.

It's people in the middle who are trying to climb the ladder that seem the most obnoxious and speak in a manner that 'offends' so many.

Again 'Generalising'...but generalisations don't become that, unless things happen often.

Yes, that's what I said. I was replying to your initial statement.

14 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Agree - sometimes he needs to cut back on the boardroom stuff and talk to supporters in proper English. 

Agree but doubt that will happen as board room speak is his way and that’s where he operates and has done well for us so happy if he carries on running the club well . 

9 hours ago, Redstreet said:

Agree but doubt that will happen as board room speak is his way and that’s where he operates and has done well for us so happy if he carries on running the club well . 

But it's quite simple really - to appeal to or to be understood by the largest number of people possible you should speak in a way that everybody will understand. 

It's not dumbing down, it's not lowest common denominator stuff - it's just common sense. This is not a dig at MA by the way, who I understand perfectly well and who is doing a fantastic job of reorganising the way our club does business, but more a generalisation on some of the nonsense you hear spouted. It's like some sort of modern game - the most farcical the phrase used to describe something perfectly normal, the higher the kudos! 

COYR 

9 hours ago, Redstreet said:

He "operates" beyond the boardroom, squire, ie when doing an interview with Adam Baker for supporters to watch and get some understanding of what is going on at their club. 99.98% of us know football as "a game" or "the game," not as an "industry." In the boardroom, no doubt, it is an "industry," but that's where that can stay. For me. 

But as you say, he is doing a good job, and I'd rather have it this way round than he was saying all the right things but not capable of running things well.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

He "operates" beyond the boardroom, squire, ie when doing an interview with Adam Baker for supporters to watch and get some understanding of what is going on at their club. 99.98% of us know football as "a game" or "the game," not as an "industry." In the boardroom, no doubt, it is an "industry," but that's where that can stay. For me. 

But as you say, he is doing a good job, and I'd rather have it this way round than he was saying all the right things but not capable of running things well.

Jack 

yes sure his role goes beyond the boardroom but so many CEOs and directors talk in the comfort zone of their own cliches  and acronyms to demonstrate their “ superior “ knowledge and very often are not challenged by the interviewer to explain. Things in simple terms . So I am right with you on that .One exception I heard recently ( not football related ) was the CEO of bookseller Waterstones who spoke  in simple terms but painted a full picture of his Xmas trading without defaulting to cliche Anyway , irrespective of presentation and language , MA doing a decent job which is the main thing we want 

Archived