IGNORED

Engvall hip injury

Wolf Island

7 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Can anyone name anything Gus has done to earn a contract here? Rip it up. Get rid. Move on. 

Suggest you propose that approach to Mark Ashton!  I’m sure he’d happily tear up his contract, pay him off, write it all off.....when he could gets transfer fee or wage contribution on loan. :facepalm:

To answer your question, set up Pato’s goal re Fleetwood last season.

Seriously though, he hasn’t done anything, but that’s not to say he won’t, although that’s looking unlikely.  

17 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Oh - by the way- the other waste of spaces we have of the same age ( 20 yrs old) playing at a lower level than Gus has been is Johnny Smith of Fylde and Shaun McCoulsky. Let's get rid of them as well. I mean: they just constantly get loaned out

Neither of them refused loans in England. Bad attitude. Case closed. 

Didn't he have a hip injury when he joined us?

Seems to be a recurring injury?

Tbh...it doesn't surprise me.

His stature imo, isn't conducive to being a natural athlete. Long body, short legs...all the movement in the hip area. A bit like Brett Pitman and Tom Doc. It's more of a struggle when you're built like that. If there is a weakness...it comes more to the fore.

On a similar note...from the way he carries himself and runs, due to his gait...Anyone else think JB is going to struggle with his lower back sooner or later?

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

His stature imo, isn't conducive to being a natural athlete. Long body, short legs...all the movement in the hip area. A bit like Brett Pitman and Tom Doc. It's more of a struggle when you're built like that. If there is a weakness...it comes more to the fore.

On a similar note...from the way he carries himself and runs, due to his gait...Anyone else think JB is going to struggle with his lower back sooner or later?

I assume you mean Bryan not Brownhill?

If Joe, yes - he has a very unnatural running style. He could do with a few functional pattern sessions to fix that. I think he'd probably be a bit faster if his running style was better.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I assume you mean Bryan not Brownhill?

If Joe, yes - he has a very unnatural running style. He could do with a few functional pattern sessions to fix that. I think he'd probably be a bit faster if his running style was better.

I'm sure I read that JB has feet that point outwards and it effects his running and the way he holds himself.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm sure I read that JB has feet that point outwards and it effects his running and the way he holds himself.

Could be right about that, would explain the unusual running style. Compare how he moves to Reid, both similar size and stature, roughly same age - but such a different style of movement. I think Reid is very graceful and agile.

Movement and balance is so important - partly explains why Federer has had such longevity in Tennis whereas the likes of Murray and Nadal have had terrible injuries. Look at Djuric and Andy Carroll, both similar build - both plagued by injuries and I think that's partly down to being taller guys in positions where they have to do lots of twisting and turning. Compare that to Flint (also tall and a bit ungainly) where largely he's facing one way - never injured!

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Could be right about that, would explain the unusual running style. Compare how he moves to Reid, both similar size and stature, roughly same age - but such a different style of movement. I think Reid is very graceful and agile.

Movement and balance is so important - partly explains why Federer has had such longevity in Tennis whereas the likes of Murray and Nadal have had such injuries. Look at Djuric and Andy Carroll, both similar build - both plagued by injuries and I think that's partly down to being taller guys in positions where they have to do lots of twisting and turning. Compare that to Flint where largely he's facing one way - never injured!

I agree mate....the human body is a nightmare when it comes to sport and longevity.

I did a bit of studying of Biomechanics in skiing. Understanding what certain body types were capable of and other not. And where weaknesses could occur. Pronation being the biggest problem, as well as longer legs and wider hips, where 'A' framing occurs and effects the ligaments on the inside of the knees and pain in lower back.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I expect he's been working out. Johnson said he lacks strength. He has had a few injuries but garita has had more and so have other players. 

Mind you, you can get 40 Garitas for 1 Gus and I am sure that at least one out of the 40 Garitas would be fit at any particular time ;)

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

What’s his feet got to do with the way he holds himself, surely that’s to do with his hands :whistle:

50 minutes ago, spudski said:

Knee

There is a need to be cautious about jumping to conclusions here when we do not know the facts.

To be injured just after coming back is unfortunate to say the least but as long as it is not a "twisted sock" to avoid playing or being loaned out (then clearly there are issues) patience is called for IMO as one day (yes one glorious day) we might actually see the Gustav we hope we have bought as he becomes an Andre Gray or similar.

6 hours ago, DaveF said:

How do you work that out?

It was really quite simple Dave but I’ll explain. I worked out how many games he’s played and how many goals he’s scored. Then I used the data that he’s been paid handsomely for the grand total of zero goals in over 18 months. Thus I concluded he’s stealing a living. Does that clear it up for you?

12 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

It was really quite simple Dave but I’ll explain. I worked out how many games he’s played and how many goals he’s scored. Then I used the data that he’s been paid handsomely for the grand total of zero goals in over 18 months. Thus I concluded he’s stealing a living. Does that clear it up for you?

Ok just using your logic for a second...

So McClousky, De Girolamo, Lucic, Jonny Smith, Taylor Moore and Garita must also be ‘stealing a living’? They’re all around Engvall’s and have contributed little to our first team in the last 18 months.

8 minutes ago, DaveF said:

So McClousky, De Girolamo, Lucic, Jonny Smith, Taylor Moore and Garita must also be ‘stealing a living’? They’re all around Engvall’s and have contributed little to our first team in the last 18 months.

Get rid of the lot of them and bring in Adomah and Matt Smith. 

Just now, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Get rid of the lot of them and bring in Adomah and Matt Smith. 

I always enjoyed your posts up until this thread.

I really don't understand your constant berating of players who for no fault of their own aren't progressing at warp speed.

Gus, McClousky, De Girolamo, Lucic, Jonny Smith, Taylor Moore and Garita were bought because City decided to.

They were offered contracts and accepted them.

Every player has done exactly as the club has instructed.

Engvall DID turn down a L2 loan - opting to play in the top Swedish League instead - a higher level!

None of the players above have sulked, spat the dummy or asked to leave.

Compare them to Tomlin.

Engvall is 21.

Twenty One.

He has moved countries, bought his partner here who has enrolled in Uni. Gus, I believe is also studying one day per week. He trains, plays with the U-21's, U-23's - whatever he is asked to do.

We are in the championship, in the play-offs, so I understand that you possibly would like better players in asap.

BUT THAT IS NOT HOW WE DO IT ANYMORE.

We persevere with these kids (because in football terms there are kids) and give them a chance to show what they can do. Engvall has scored in the top Swedish League, and represented his country. Jonny Smith, the same age, plays in some obscure league,yet gets no crap at all?

I can only assume this is some personal thing with Engvall?

People crapped all over Mags for ages - now look at him. For me, 1st choice LB.

Give Gus the same chance to play 20 games and THEN make a decision. Even if he is terrible, clubs will still pay a fee for him.

If he plays well, then we are quids in.

Too many City fans are confusing a semi-final, and play-off spot with the divine right to sign Messi on loan.

We haven't won anything yet, and are not even certain to finish top 10.

Only on OTIB do we hang, draw and quarter a bloke for being injured in training.

Get a grip people FFS!

Isn't Engvall still a child in footballing terms and had LJ not dropped his approximate transfer fee in an interview we would still have him pegged as another Gartia?

Probably the first time he has ever lived independently and in a strange country. No wonder he has struggled to settle.

Give him a contract extension, put him in the U23s and offer him a cuddle.

47 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Not overly concerned with the amount of goals Taylor Moore and Lucic score TBH. 

McClousky getting great returns out on loan (maybe helps that he didn’t turn the loan down) as is Jonny Bale.

Diego and Arnie will never get near the first team and didn’t cost £2m like Gus but yes I wouldn’t be sad to see either move on.

Logic doesn’t have to apply across the board fella, you just have to think things through. 

39 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I always enjoyed your posts up until this thread.

I really don't understand your constant berating of players who for no fault of their own aren't progressing at warp speed.

Gus, McClousky, De Girolamo, Lucic, Jonny Smith, Taylor Moore and Garita were bought because City decided to.

They were offered contracts and accepted them.

Every player has done exactly as the club has instructed.

Engvall DID turn down a L2 loan - opting to play in the top Swedish League instead - a higher level!

None of the players above have sulked, spat the dummy or asked to leave.

Compare them to Tomlin.

Engvall is 21.

Twenty One.

He has moved countries, bought his partner here who has enrolled in Uni. Gus, I believe is also studying one day per week. He trains, plays with the U-21's, U-23's - whatever he is asked to do.

We are in the championship, in the play-offs, so I understand that you possibly would like better players in asap.

BUT THAT IS NOT HOW WE DO IT ANYMORE.

We persevere with these kids (because in football terms there are kids) and give them a chance to show what they can do. Engvall has scored in the top Swedish League, and represented his country. Jonny Smith, the same age, plays in some obscure league,yet gets no crap at all?

I can only assume this is some personal thing with Engvall?

People crapped all over Mags for ages - now look at him. For me, 1st choice LB.

Give Gus the same chance to play 20 games and THEN make a decision. Even if he is terrible, clubs will still pay a fee for him.

If he plays well, then we are quids in.

Too many City fans are confusing a semi-final, and play-off spot with the divine right to sign Messi on loan.

We haven't won anything yet, and are not even certain to finish top 10.

Only on OTIB do we hang, draw and quarter a bloke for being injured in training.

Get a grip people FFS!

My comment on Smith and Adomah was in jest, don’t take it literally. I agree with what you say in general about the young players in our squad and I’m as excited as anyone about their potential and for the likes of Brownhill and COD how they’ve already stepped up.

Thats the general picture but talking specifics I stand by my appraisal of Mr Engvall. Just don’t think from what I’ve seen he will ever make it at City or in England and the best thing for both parties would be to see him leave in this window. 

3 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

My comment on Smith and Adomah was in jest, don’t take it literally. I agree with what you say in general about the young players in our squad and I’m as excited as anyone about their potential and for the likes of Brownhill and COD how they’ve already stepped up.

Thats the general picture but talking specifics I stand by my appraisal of Mr Engvall. Just don’t think from what I’ve seen he will ever make it at City or in England and the best thing for both parties would be to see him leave in this window. 

How much of him have you actually seen though? He simply hasn't played enough for any of our fans to know really. 

6 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Come on be serious. We’ve seen enough to have opinions. He’s been here 18 months. 

No I don’t think we as fans have. I trust the management’s opinion on him, and if they sell him then fair enough.

How many games have we seen him in though? According to Transfermrkt he’s only made 8 competitive appearances - including as a sub - over 2 seasons. That’s not enough for us fans to be able to judge his ability.

Just one note on the refusing s League two loan thing;

Pretty sure the logic to that was that he wanted to go to the under-21 Championship in the summer, and while his being down the road at Yeovil, Plymouth etc. would likely have spend up his acclimatisation to British football, I’d wager he’d not have been as ‘visible’ and likely to be considered for that at those clubs.

He managed to make the plane so that now looks like a good decision on his part, and unfortunately the way it has worked out, his extending his (successful) loan has meant he’s only been an option again for us just recently.

Don’t know if he’ll make it here but do think context is required on his progress/situation.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No I don’t think we as fans have. I trust the management’s opinion on him, and if they sell him then fair enough.

How many games have we seen him in though? According to Transfermrkt he’s only made 8 competitive appearances - including as a sub - over 2 seasons. That’s not enough for us fans to be able to judge his ability.

Such a record is an indictment in itself. 

1 minute ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Such a record is an indictment in itself. 

Perhaps, but I think the context is important. Engvall was injured when he first arrived for a good few weeks.

Is it possible he’s not good enough? Of course. But I don’t think we as fans have seen enough to know for ourselves.

Archived