IGNORED

Would we be upset If we didn't make the play offs

Ayteomike2

If we don’t make the playoffs and if the season ended and we were in 10th spot I’d be ok with that as we have been crippled with injuries. But! I’d take so many highs from the season as it has so many already, but I’ll always remember the joy on the faces of those around me when we beat Man Utd :) Football has so many up and down days if you don’t support the top four sides, so take the good ones and hold onto them :) COYR!

After our start to the season, and the hope (and expectation to some) it's brought, then yes, missing playoffs would leave me a little miffed !  
No one in their right mind would expect auto, so missing that would not be a disappointment. Being so good for over half a season, being 2nd/3rd for long periods to not finish in the top 6 would be disappointing. I also think that we would lose 2 or 3 players if we don't go up, playoffs wouldn't make a difference, promotion might not make a difference. I think what ever division we are in next year, there is a strong possibility we will lose 2 or 3 players.
Good result at Derby and a good performance against Citeh and our season could be right back on track and we could be putting pressure on Derby, or whoever is in 2nd. But,  we could be going into the QPR game trying not to replicate our run from last year.

Long way and a lot of twists and turns to come.

9 hours ago, poland_exile said:

I think a more pertinent question is, would we be upset if don't make the play-offs and then lose half our team. I'd be disappointed if we don't make the play-offs now, but I'd be mortified if that led to a general rape of our talent. If we retained everyone, then I have no problem where we finish this season, but I suspect a few are already harbouring grand ideas for their future (and I don't blame them, either). 

The problem with our young blood strategy is that young blood by its very nature is bold and ambitious - they seek immediate glory and rewards. If we can't offer that, then sure as hell they'll want to go somewhere that does. One extra season, and giving it a real go next year, might seem logical to us, but to young lads it doesn't. Again, I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to leave if we don't make the play-offs / win promotion, etc. Their careers are short. For this reason, we should be looking to add in a few experienced names; established players and names with the desire to make their last days count. We need that blend more than ever. 

Respectfully can i say you might want to rethink use of the word 'rape' to describe our players being sold?

yours, a fellow red.

Its a bit like the Man City game last week. Most people would have been happy with a 2-1 defeat before the game but it was a real disappointment when  it came so late. I would have been happy with a top half finish this season but will now be slightly disappointed if we don't make the play offs. I wont be distraught though as battling relegation for the previous two seasons we've still made vast improvements this season and I think we will continue to progress. Even if we lose one or two it will be for big money and we are now showing how best to build a squad and invest in the future.

If we're looking back on this season having finished 7th and reached the semi-finals of the league cup, in the cold light of day that would have to be considered a successful season.  It would have exceeded expectations and would represent a fourth consecutive season of improvement in our league position - how many clubs would be able to say that?  But, of course, having been as high as 2nd, it wouldn't feel like that.

My fear is that our season tails off, we finish somewhere in the top 10, and the knives come out for Johnson from those unable to find a broader perspective on our progress as a club.  And it's certainly a concern that the likes of Bryan and Flint won't be here next season.  Our increasing profile within the game would seem to make that all the more likely.

52 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Respectfully can i say you might want to rethink use of the word 'rape' to describe our players being sold?

yours, a fellow red.

By definition rape has more than one meaning, including 'to plunder or strip something of it's resources'.

@poland_exile was speaking In terms of the likely ramifications for our squad should we fail to go up and in that context - though it may not be the word you or I would choose - there's nothing actually wrong with it.

I would be a bit upset yes, probably more disappointed than upset.

Before this season I optimistically thought we may finish about 8th. I thought we'd have a season a bit like what Brentford, Middlesborough or Fulham are currently having. No real threat of relegation, but not quite enough for the playoffs.

I didn't let myself think much different until January - because I think that's a good enough benchmark to assess where you are. As of January, we're playoffs with a genuine shot at auto promotion. Now we've played everyone once, that has to be our expectation.

At this stage, anything less than playoffs would be a lacklustre second half of the season. I think we're a good side and the only thing that would cause that would be the injury/fixture pile-up which would be a shame.

10 hours ago, RumRed said:

That is quite spectacular for a school night, booze or ketamine?  

Anyway cap doffed fine sir, just hope you’re not due to operate heavy machinery in the morning!

On that basis we'd best hope it's not Joe Bryan's Dad's posting on OTIB :shocking:

I think anything in the top 10 would be seen as a massive progress. However, for us to finish 10th would mean that we have sustained a bad run given that we'd only lost 3 games at Christmas. If the losses were evenly dispersed throughout the whole season, many would've considered 10th an excellent season. Whatever happens over the next five months, this season will live long in the memory after the cup run we've had, knowing that this is the turning point for this club. 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

By definition rape has more than one meaning, including 'to plunder or strip something of it's resources'.

@poland_exile was speaking In terms of the likely ramifications for our squad should we fail to go up and in that context - though it may not be the word you or I would choose - there's nothing actually wrong with it.

Sure, you are of course correct. As you also say i'd still probably avoid it if there was an alternative that could be used, given the way it could be perceived.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Historically, yes. But words change meaning over time and 'rape' is seldom, if ever, used in this context today. It's straight out inappropriate language, regardless of historical definition, especially as there are plenty of more effective alternatives available, which would convey the meaning much better and less contentiously. 

8 hours ago, Neo said:

The great thing about posting whilst under some sort of influence is you think you have just written something worthy of Shakespeare that will be revered - then you wake up in the cold light of day to see you did not quite hit the mark !!

What's the bet Shakespeare used to wake up and say "What the hell were you thinking? 'To be or not to be' make your mind up Shakey."

I don't think anyone can be upset if we finish 7th or 8th this season.

Disappointed yes but not upset or angry. If we do slip out of the play offs and just miss out due to poor results

it will mainly be because of injury list/fixture pile up not due to lack of quality. We played everyone once and lost only 3 In the first half of the season, therefore showing what a good side we are.

Plus you have to look at the bigger picture, if someone had said at the start of the season you'll finish 8th and in the League cup semi final dare I say final you'd of taken that every day of the week.

Plus if we keep our squad together, with a bit more luck on the injury front next season and with some added recruits in the summer.. why cant we go one better next year.

Surely this squad of players will only get better the more they play with each other and the more players like Famara settle in.

But here's to hopefully  finishing in the play offs this season and getting the job done this time around... you never know.

45 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Historically, yes. But words change meaning over time and 'rape' is seldom, if ever, used in this context today. It's straight out inappropriate language, regardless of historical definition, especially as there are plenty of more effective alternatives available, which would convey the meaning much better and less contentiously. 

Your post pretty much echoes my view.

I suspect most on this forum think of and visualise the word rape in its most vile form, and whilst there are archaic dictionary definitions for many words, it is somewhat disingenuous to use such a word in the belief that some might interpret it as 'to plunder or strip something of it's resources'.

An inappropriate choice of words when, as you and several others have commented, there are numerous more sensible alternatives.  

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think we'd have to be disappointed not to make the play-offs. We've proved we're good enough to be top six at the very least. I've no doubt the manager, board and players would be gutted if we missed out now and the fans would be quite right to be too. I firmly believe we will finish top six though. 

I think we’ve only proved we’re good enough to finish in the top six, if we finish in the top six.

Sustaining a certain level of performance over a whole season is a test of a team’s overall quality, just as much as what they are able to produce at their best.

Apologies to those I have offended, clearly making light of sexual violence was not my intention - I'm unable to be express myself as eloquently as @Nogbad the Bad did in his statement, suffice to say i feel like a dinosaur. Sorry! 

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

What's the bet Shakespeare used to wake up and say "What the hell were you thinking? 'To be or not to be' make your mind up Shakey."

He had to be a bit high to come up with some of the works he produced. I like the idea of him dipping his quill in the ink and thinking eff this shit I’m going to sleep with Miss Valium tonight.

17 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Apologies to those I have offended, clearly making light of sexual violence was not my intention - I'm unable to be express myself as eloquently as @Nogbad the Bad did in his statement, suffice to say i feel like a dinosaur. Sorry! 

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. I'm sure nobody thought you were making light of sexual violence. It was just a bit of an unfortunate choice of wording. Good on you for apologising and clarifying. 

You're incorrect.

It's not just a historical definition. We often hear about 'the rape of the countryside' for instance.

Inappropriateness is subjective, and there's nothing contentious here unless you choose to seek it. 

The English language can be beautiful, other times less so, but, like it or not, by definition the word used was appropriate in the context given.

Archived