IGNORED

We all TALK a good game, but .......

bcfcredandwhite

... has anyone ever PLAYED the beautiful game?

i played left mid for a local team in the Wiltshire league but I didn’t start until my 30s due to family commitments. Nowadays (I’m 51) my 11-a-side day’s are restricted to the odd friendly - including one this weekend in fact  

I still play 5-a-side twice a week though - plus 2 gym visits per week - so I can work off my excessive appetite for beer!!

anyone else played or still playing?

Yep - played for over thirty years, played at Deepdale and Upton Park, once fouled Howard Pritchard and I was awarded the free kick....he swore at me, the rotter!

Played with and against Julian Dicks from a young age, boy he had a serious shot on him!

Tried to mark Gerry Sweeney very unsuccessfully on another occasion, how fit was/is that bloke?!

Hit an absolute pearler in the first minute of another game, thought ‘that’s going in’ as soon as I hit it, until an unknown Steve Phillips plucked it out of the air as easily as picking an apple from a tree...

Right, I’ll just bend down to pick up all those names I’ve dropped...!

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep - played for over thirty years, played at Deepdale and Upton Park, once fouled Howard Pritchard and I was awarded the free kick....he swore at me, the rotter!

Played with and against Julian Dicks from a young age, boy he had a serious shot on him!

Tried to mark Gerry Sweeney very unsuccessfully on another occasion, how fit was/is that bloke?!

Hit an absolute pearler in the first minute of another game, thought ‘that’s going in’ as soon as I hit, until an unknown Steve Phillips plucked it out of the air as easily as picking an apple from a tree...

Respect to you mate!!

10 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Played at a piss poor level on the right wing for many years. Ankles turned to poppadoms so barely play any more.

Your popadom ankles would go well with my chocolate knees. :P

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hit an absolute pearler in the first minute of another game, thought ‘that’s going in’ as soon as I hit it, until an unknown Steve Phillips plucked it out of the air as easily as picking an apple from a tree...

Played at Roots Hall and The Bescot.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers, but @Davefevs can trump me....he played at a very decent level....

Not sure Sunday Regional Three with you counts mate :P

Played league footy in Bristol from the age of 6/7 onwards having spells with Hanham Athletic, Deerswood, before my transfer to Stapleton U-16 around 1997. We famously put the Rovers YTS crew out on their ass, on our way to winning the Swindon 6's tournament in 1998. Popped up around a few teams at Screwfix level before calling it a day around 19/20 when I went to Uni.

Moved to London, then ruptured my ACL playing for a Sheffield Wednesday supporters team (don't ask). I now only play 5 a side in East London once a week to a reasonable standard. No more grass for me...

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Impressive stuff, leads me to ask, who are ya?  Who are ya?  Did you have a spell as a professional player?

I'd love it if you could add a few more paragraphs of detail, would make for good reading.

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Impressive stuff, leads me to ask, who are ya?  Who are ya?  Did you have a spell as a professional player?

I'd love it if you could add a few more paragraphs of detail, would make for good reading.

No, he wasn’t. :P

He did play with another of the AG8 though, Peter Aitken.

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

... has anyone ever PLAYED the beautiful game?

i played left mid for a local team in the Wiltshire league but I didn’t start until my 30s due to family commitments. Nowadays (I’m 51) my 11-a-side day’s are restricted to the odd friendly - including one this weekend in fact  

I still play 5-a-side twice a week though - plus 2 gym visits per week - so I can work off my excessive appetite for beer!!

anyone else played or still playing?

Played Somerset Senior and Bristol Sunday upper leagues and like you am 51. Centre Mid and then as I got a bit slower Centre back. If I attempted 11 aside or even 6 a side I think I would end up in A&E. Loved playing and miss it a lot. Packed in at 35 as family and Work took over as well as taking about 3 days to recover. Only seems like 5 mins ago that I was on that pitch and enjoying the banter and run ins with referees (all friendly stuff)

Love watching City now, been a lifelong fan and now a ST holder

7 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Played Somerset Senior and Bristol Sunday upper leagues and like you am 51. Centre Mid and then as I got a bit slower Centre back. If I attempted 11 aside or even 6 a side I think I would end up in A&E. Loved playing and miss it a lot. Packed in at 35 as family and Work took over as well as taking about 3 days to recover. Only seems like 5 mins ago that I was on that pitch and enjoying the banter and run ins with referees (all friendly stuff)

Love watching City now, been a lifelong fan and now a ST holder

35 seems young to hang up the boots mate - I had only just started playing at that age!!

not tempted to try 5-a-side? It’s a shame if you loved it. 

Played in City Development until 15, for Somerset, then for Paulton Rovers (same side as Ashley Barnes although I'm a bit older than him). England schoolboy trials at Kirkby in Liverpool, played with James Morrison who was class.

Tore ankle ligaments in FA Youth Cup at Hereford aged 18. Gave up football. Took up "recreational behaviours" instead. City home and away. 

Now play (and manage) Saturday morning team in Bournemouth; can make AG for 3pm so long as there's no speed cameras :fear:

In my teens Weston & District, Westlands A, Brent House (Sat  side), The Woodborough (Winscombe), then 1984-2003 Worle Old Boys in Somerset Senior and Wes&Dis. 600+ games.

Some great memories especially against Imperial, Robinsons, Stockwood Green, Keynsham Cricketers, Bishop Sutton...

Archived