IGNORED

Favourite ' mistress ' clubs

Major Isewater

We all know that there is only one big love in our hearts , the mighty Reds,  but which club do you have a soft spot for as a secondary interest ?

Topically mine was Man City , the team of the late sixties and seventies that featured the majestic Colin Bell in midfield, giant  Joe Corrigan in goal , mike Summerbee , Franny Lee and Rodney Marsh amongst others .

They played flowing football with panache, determination and courage.

I loved watching  that team .

My interest in them died  off in the eighties .

In the past, as a child I always had the Liverpool kit and followed them, until actually going to watch City stole my heart. 

Sonce then I’ve had a soft spot for Chelsea in the pre money era, because I had a few Chelsea mates. The Ex’s family were West Ham, so I followed their results for a few years. 

The only consistent “2nd team” for me has been whoever Man United are playing against that week! 

43 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We all know that there is only one big love in our hearts , the mighty Reds,  but which club do you have a soft spot for as a secondary interest ?

Topically mine was Man City , the team of the late sixties and seventies that featured the majestic Colin Bell in midfield, giant  Joe Corrigan in goal , mike Summerbee , Franny Lee and Rodney Marsh amongst others .

Cloughs Forest in late 80s . Broke the big 4 stranglehold and he made great players from relatively ordinary starters . 

My Gran was originally from Nottingham, so as I kid we always looked out for both Forest and Countys results. That was a time when Forest were a great side. Over the years though, I've been more interested in Notts as we play Forest a lot. And County's FA Cup win over the blue few gave me even more reason to smile!

Never had a ‘mistress’ club in the league, but non-league is different. For me it’s Melksham Town where I grew up. However, when I lived in Plymouth I used to watch Saltash United (go Ashes) a lot, and when living in the North East it was Bishop Auckland (the only club I have ever supported who play in blue). 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Bristol City reserves 

Ajax. Went to Holland and watched them play NEC. Great stadium, friendly people, beers in the supporters club with Dutch pop music, what's not to like. 

Since then always keep an eye on their results and follow them on Insta/Social Media.

I’ve always detested Manchester. So in their dominant era I always wanted Arsenal to beat them. Wenger has always played good football so I sort of prefer that they win. 

What’s happening now is very sad for Wenger’s legacy. I hope that if they decide to give him the bullet, they let him do it. He deserves at least that. They have a new stadium thanks to him. 

I’ve always liked Plucky Cheltenham too. 

I think a lot of people my age had/have a soft spot for Liverpool, seeing them in europe on free to air tv all the time helped. Personally I loved the Tottenham team around that time, Glenn Hoddle was my favourite play and then they signed Ardiles and Ricardo Villa, they were just great to watch much like now.

Juventus! Football Italia was my fave programme at the time, I loved their kit and the front three of Ravanelli, Vialli and some young kid called Del Piers was amazing to watch. I’m going to watch them for first time in Feb and I can’t wait, Away at Fiorentina is a huge game, just a shame that Buffon is injured so I won’t see him before he retires :sad26:

36 minutes ago, The Gambler said:

If Bristol City be my wife then England be my mistress. 

Every other Summer me and the mistress have an affair while my wife is away. 

Does your week away with the mistress look really good on paper and fill you with excitement, only for you to fly home very early because it's all gone tits up?

Liverpool - from formative years due to parents and grandparents being from red half of the city.
Halifax Town - again due to parents and grandparents - used to watch them a fair bit when I lived in Yorkshire. When Wayne Allison played for them.
Nantes - had a season ticket there while living in France.
FGR - local lower-league club. My lad has always liked watching them.

Archived