IGNORED

Favourite ' mistress ' clubs

Major Isewater

I'm not into mistresses but I do like a threesome.

When I were a kid, I chose a team from each of the divisions that City were not in so I had:

Tottenham - loved the way they played, Ardiles and especially Hoddle before he turned into a disabled-hating nutter

Watford because of "that" John Barnes back-heel, and Graham Taylor before he turned into a "do I not like that" nutter.

And, Wimbledon because they were nutters and always the underdog and before they turned into MK Dons.

None really. Like with a woman I wouldn't have the stamina for more than one! City provide more than enough emotional trauma. Having said that, I occasionally look out for Exeter's and Carlisle's results. No idea why.

I used to quite like Wolves as a second team as a young boy because of their name, although I knew nothing about them. Bloody hate them now.

Supported Everton as a boy. Neville Southall was my idol. (It’s a fellow fat goalkeeper thing), then when Lineker signed for his one season wonder, my life was complete! I was eight at the time.

I remember feeling totally devastated when he left for Barca. What a goalscorer he was.

36 minutes ago, WesM said:

Supported Everton as a boy. Neville Southall was my idol. (It’s a fellow fat goalkeeper thing), then when Lineker signed for his one season wonder, my life was complete! I was eight at the time.

I remember feeling totally devastated when he left for Barca. What a goalscorer he was.

I met Neville Southall’s nan once. Strange but true.

Northern Spirit before their demise. Had a couple of ex City in Julian Watts and David Seal playing as well as ex Norwich player Ian Crook. Also had Nicola Berti who was truly awful and on a meal ticket.

Don't we do this thread every season?

Mine is still Benfica.

I have no interest in the Premier League until we get there. Briefly cared about Scarborough in the early 90s when I was a kid owing to a computer game.

Only other team besides City and Benfica I paid to go and support in the last decade is URD Tires, a non league club near where I grew up and first ground I ever went to.

• Admin

You’re all wrong uns..... how is it humanely possible to have an interest in more than one team.

I do have disdain for two teams, obviously it goes without saying, the blue few, deluded sags are the source of my ultimate disdain, but secondly are any Liverpool fans who aren’t rampantly scouse.  To explain, this comes from my time at school,  when long before the Premiership and Sky TV, Liverpool were dominating and the ‘plastics’ (although that really wasn’t a term back then) were displaying their youthful affection for a team that played 100’s of miles away - not for me, I lived in BS3 and that was good enough!!

Maybe not much has changed.

5 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

You’re all wrong uns..... how is it humanely possible to have an interest in more than one team.

I agree, and I used to cringe when people at AG would cheer the Spurs score at half time, but having been asked just about a million times in the past 20 years who I'd support if City ever played Benfica, I have a pretty good sense now of the relativity that most on this thread probably have.

My answer, I guess like everyone on this thread, is always that I hope City would batter Benfica out of sight. There isn't even a close comparison between the affinity for a team you support every week and the one you occasionally see on TV and 'look out for scores for'.

Anyone who makes more of their "second team" than is justified (ie using the word we and filling up social media about it) is as bad as people who have an armchair club for their first team full stop. Second teams are only to be personally celebrated privately in the most causal terms. And never ever ever "we". You only have one "we".

• Admin
1 minute ago, Olé said:

I agree, and I used to cringe when people at AG would cheer the Spurs score at half time, but having been asked just about a million times in the past 20 years who I'd support if City ever played Benfica, I have a pretty good sense now of the relativity that most on this thread probably have.

My answer, I guess like everyone on this thread, is always that I hope City would batter Benfica out of sight. There isn't even a close comparison between the affinity for a team you support every week and the one you occasionally see on TV and 'look out for scores for'.

Anyone who makes more of their "second team" than is justified (ie using the word we and filling up social media about it) is as bad as people who have an armchair club for their first team full stop. Second teams are only to be personally celebrated privately in the most causal terms. And never ever ever "we". You only have one "we".

I can accept that someone moving to a new country, or many miles from home, may take on their new local club, over years I guess it’s possible that the new club affinity may extend past the original club, but that would be a personal journey and one I cannot comment on.

It’s the Bristolian born (or insert any City/Town with a professional club) ‘fans’ of the latest all conquering team or, to be fair, even those that have stuck with a team when it was all conquering- á la Liverpool, that I cannot comprehend.

4 hours ago, ptr6 said:

Yes, and a certain Joe Jordan as a sub.

Why are Dundee Utd your mistress club?

Well I had grandparents who lived in Dundee, who took me to Tannadice Park when I was very young. If I'm honest I think I just liked the colours, this was back when they had the gorgeous Olympic Sports kits, and I've kept an eye on their sporadic rising and falling ever since.

Saying that, if City ever played them, I hope we'd absolutely batter them.

I lived in Forest Hill, London for many years, although equidistant from Palace , Millwall and Charlton its very much Millwall country and I made a lot of friends among their number...and that’s the only other club whose home end I have visited regularly, on a non-partisan and er, ‘friendly’ basis if that’s possible in that neck of the woods.

Only when we were in different divisions as well I might add, I mean, you wouldn’t shag your mistress in your wife’s bed now would you? 

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

A while ago I was seconded to London for 6 months (Mon - Friday) and went to watch Millwall on a few occasions.

Actually I do look out for their scores these days if I'm honest but only to know what my local will be like, and a courtesy as a few of them will look out for our result so they can have a chat about it.

But second team never. Going to their games is an easy way to not ever want to support them - it's like being in one giant black cab full of people with tourettes. I actually felt sorry for the Gas last season, they were abused horribly for 90 minutes.

Genuinely used to be whoever was in the PL title race vs Man Utd, hated Giggs, Scholes, Neville brothers, Fergie, their fans a truly horrid side. So because of that I did sort of like Liverpool as back then they were a 'nice' side who could entertain much like now. 

Other sides: Torquay, Derby and Forest due to the legend Brian Clough and Yeovil.

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

Actually I do look out for their scores these days if I'm honest but only to know what my local will be like, and a courtesy as a few of them will look out for our result so they can have a chat about it.

But second team never. Going to their games is an easy way to not ever want to support them - it's like being in one giant black cab full of people with tourettes. I actually felt sorry for the Gas last season, they were abused horribly for 90 minutes.

In my defence, one of my fellow workers (worked just off London bridge) was a big Millwall supporter and it was something to do. I would never pretend to be a follower but enjoyed the time I spent there in all honesty but I do know what you mean, some of their older supporters could have a row in a room on their own! 

'Let em all come down to the Den' ;)

13 minutes ago, Olé said:

But second team never. Going to their games is an easy way to not ever want to support them - it's like being in one giant black cab full of people with tourettes. 

A perfect description. I should have added to my previous post that I came to my senses in 2005, bought a season ticket for AG and started commuting back to Bristol for Home games. The 260 mile round trip was a lot less less painful than the racket in the Den/New Den even after a defeat. 

My Nonna is from Torre Del Greco, so naturally Napoli have a spot in my heart (although she supports Juve :facepalm:). I've always liked Lazio as well. 

First game at the Gate for me was v Newcastle in the old Coca Cola Cup, they won 5-0. My Dad knew Martin Khul so we went in the players lounge after the game and all their players were really sound doing autographs (still got the programme somewhere - I was only about 8); therefore I've always had a soft spot for the Toon, and still do. 

Im also Catholic, so I sometimes wear a Celtic shirt to the gym (primarily because my training buddy is a mad HUN :yawn:).

But we all know City is the only real lover we will ever have, you know, the one we cared about.:P

Born in 73 and my Nan was from Merseyside so grew up supporting Liverpool due to that link, and that they were on the telly a lot. 

But then in my early teens my step dad took me to a City game, and I was hooked. Never looked back.

Still an LFC supporter but as the premiership becomes more and more detached from reality (Sanchez on £450k a week, WTF?) I'm more appreciative than ever that I've got a local team that keeps my football grounded.

Being born in 1967, by the time I had interest in football Liverpool were the European team to follow, also my favourite colour red so they became my 2nd team ( glory hunting kid :laugh: )

My granddad took me to the gate in 73 and was hooked from day 1, reaching Div 1 and playing the mighty teams just cemented my love of City

Going back in time I think most fans supported their home town club. Following the 1958 Munich air disaster Manchester Utd received lots of worldwide sympathy for the dilemma they found themselves in and the way they dealt with it. Me included and I watched out for their results.

Then along came the crew, Fergie included, that took advantage of this worldwide sympathy and support and cashed in and then became a plc. From that time when the money bought them success I have loathed them for how they have operated.

The only other team I have a passing interest in these days are Arsenal due to the way Wenger started the change in culture of footballers and the way he wanted his team to play when he arrived. Maybe getting a bit long in the tooth now though.

5 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

There's always elements of that mind whatever club you go to, still maintain that I've never had any bother off anyone in Dundee.

What year was that?

I think it was the 1993/1994 season, and Thistle wore an all black kit in the game, which I believe was the first time a team in the UK had ever done so because previously the inevitable clash with referees kits was a debate that no team had won, until then. 

There always seemed to be some needle between the Tangerine Arabs and the Jags around that time and beyond. We played each other in the first ever promotion/relegation play offs that involved the team which finished one from bottom in the SPL (Partick) and the runners up in the second tier (Dundee United) - this was at the end of the 1995/1996 season. In the first leg at Firhill it finished 1-1 then in the second leg at Tannadice, Thistle went 0-1 ahead and were then denied the most blatant penalty ever and ended up losing 2-1 to be relegated 3-2 on aggregate as Dundee United were promoted. There was also some controversy I seem to remember about Dundee United being granted promotion after those play offs even though their stadium failed to be upgraded to new SPL guidelines by the deadline they were given. So that just added to the needle as Thistle technically should have been reprieved!

Then in 2013 you poached our cherished Manager (and ex player) Jackie McNamara and he readily jumped ship to became your Manager. Just to spite him we won the second tier championship that season after he buggered off in January 2013 - so we were back in the same division as Dundee United again. There were wild scenes of celebration in the away section at Tannadice as Thistle beat their former manager 0-2 in the 2014/2015 season! The singing and vitriol aimed at him was legendary! And just for good measure we stuffed you again at Tannadice 0-1 around Christmas 2015!

And now you are back in the second tier, your next league fixture is away to the mighty Alloa Athletic - our next league game is home to Celtic.....keep looking up, mind the gap!!

Archived