IGNORED

Favourite ' mistress ' clubs

Major Isewater

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think it was the 1993/1994 season, and Thistle wore an all black kit in the game, which I believe was the first time a team in the UK had ever done so because previously the inevitable clash with referees kits was a debate that no team had won, until then. 

There always seemed to be some needle between the Tangerine Arabs and the Jags around that time and beyond. We played each other in the first ever promotion/relegation play offs that involved the team which finished one from bottom in the SPL (Partick) and the runners up in the second tier (Dundee United) - this was at the end of the 1995/1996 season. In the first leg at Firhill it finished 1-1 then in the second leg at Tannadice, Thistle went 0-1 ahead and were then denied the most blatant penalty ever and ended up losing 2-1 to be relegated 3-2 on aggregate as Dundee United were promoted. There was also some controversy I seem to remember about Dundee United being granted promotion after those play offs even though their stadium failed to be upgraded to new SPL guidelines by the deadline they were given. So that just added to the needle as Thistle technically should have been reprieved!

Then in 2013 you poached our cherished Manager (and ex player) Jackie McNamara and he readily jumped ship to became your Manager. Just to spite him we won the second tier championship that season after he buggered off in January 2013 - so we were back in the same division as Dundee United again. There were wild scenes of celebration in the away section at Tannadice as Thistle beat their former manager 0-2 in the 2014/2015 season! The singing and vitriol aimed at him was legendary! And just for good measure we stuffed you again at Tannadice 0-1 around Christmas 2015!

And now you are back in the second tier, your next league fixture is away to the mighty Alloa Athletic - our next league game is home to Celtic.....keep looking up, mind the gap!!

:rofl2br:

Always nice for small clubs to have their time in the sun. Enjoy it while you can.

Know I'd rather have Laszlo and a proper club looking up, than "Partick" Thistle and a terrifying yellow jizz splodge mascot.

Remember the 2-0 game vividly actually, I'd meant to go but cancelled for work. 

8 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

:rofl2br:

Always nice for small clubs to have their time in the sun. Enjoy it while you can.

Know I'd rather have Laszlo and a proper club looking up, than "Partick" Thistle...

Partick Thistle is a small club?

Dundee Utd highest ever home attendance: 28,000

Partick Thistle highest ever home attendance: 49,838

As a child, I had a soft spot for Plymouth Argyle, Queen of the South and Sheffield Wednesday, purely due to them having unusual names.

Nowadays I'm not massively enthusiastic about any other club but do occasionally get free tickets for Chelsea or QPR through friends and will quite happily watch them. I also watched Man City win their first title for decades with a couple of Man City supporting friends in a primarily Man Utd supporting pub and must admit I got a bit into it and ended up celebrating with them...

Also Yeovil were my Grandad's team so I do look out for their results a bit too.

16 hours ago, 22A said:

Family in Ipswich & Soton, so I have a passing interest in their results. Due to some happy holidays, I also look out for Lowestoft in the Isthmian League.

Having lived in Peterborough longer than I did in Bristol (sob), I look out for the results of PUFC.

Same for me 22A but I have never had the slightest interest in Posh. When I first got here in the mid 80s a local solicitor ( he later joined their board)  invited me to a   pre-season game against a Spanish team - they were trying to market corporate hospitality. Watching the game made me realise that I could raise no interest in a team that meant nothing to me.

The only time I have been to London Road since then is when the mighty reds have been in town!

Prior to me moving to Bristol like most kids back when your first introduction to footy was the FA Cup final my first team was Everton (1984 final). First game I went to see was when I was 6 or 7 and I'd moved to Chester. Saw them play Bury (City were down in div 4 then also). Wasn't till I moved to Bristol when I was 11 I got invited to watch a game by a friend that my love of City was born (That was the great promotion season with Bob Taylor and co). 42 now so City by far my team but I still follow Everton and Chester scores. 

Apologies for boring you all with my life story

None!  Your only aloud to support one team end of!  Don't try to make it seem acceptable  to support another team.  I'm surrounded by friends and family who live here and think it's acceptable to support a team from a city that you have absolutely no connection with , never go and watch and constantly mock the team from their own city  (apart from when were having a decent spell like our current cup run)   It's embarrassing.  

See previous post re  the biggest  underachieving City , there's a reason  !!!!

38 minutes ago, properjob said:

None!  Your only aloud to support one team end of!  Don't try to make it seem acceptable  to support another team.  I'm surrounded by friends and family who live here and think it's acceptable to support a team from a city that you have absolutely no connection with , never go and watch and constantly mock the team from their own city  (apart from when were having a decent spell like our current cup run)   It's embarrassing.  

See previous post re  the biggest  underachieving City , there's a reason  !!!!

Agree and disagree with this.

Multiple nationality? One from each country IMO.

The second bit, fully agree on- all the Man U fans from Bristol e.g. Liverpool fans and the like yeah. I do agree though, plastics do wind me up. it takes the piss- much like a decent chunk of them about us.

The wider point here though- there's a lot more geographical mobility than there used to be and a lot more blends of nationality too so it's inevitable really. To give an example, most people in my office aren't from Bristol.

On 1/18/2018 at 12:15, El Hombrecito said:

Málaga. Unfortunately, they're getting relegated this year :sad26:

Malaga for me as used to live there and had a ST at La Roselada. Sheff Wed as had a ST there as a teenager and last but certainly not least......The Mighty Gulls. Torquay United who sadly are disappearing fast but what a ground, Bovril and Pasties at half time and Boots and Laces Club.

15 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

Go and watch Malaga two or three times a season . Going over for the Barcelona game in March. Love watching Malaga 

5 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Malaga for me as used to live there and had a ST at La Roselada. Sheff Wed as had a ST there as a teenager and last but certainly not least......The Mighty Gulls. Torquay United who sadly are disappearing fast but what a ground, Bovril and Pasties at half time and Boots and Laces Club.

Didn't realise there were so many Boquerones in here. @The turtle is quite partial to them too (Màlaga, not anchovies), although he prefers Atleti...

On 18/01/2018 at 10:02, Major Isewater said:

We all know that there is only one big love in our hearts , the mighty Reds,  but which club do you have a soft spot for as a secondary interest ?

Topically mine was Man City , the team of the late sixties and seventies that featured the majestic Colin Bell in midfield, giant  Joe Corrigan in goal , mike Summerbee , Franny Lee and Rodney Marsh amongst others .

They played flowing football with panache, determination and courage.

I loved watching  that team .

My interest in them died  off in the eighties .

I thought I was the only one :o

But for me it has to be Hamilton Academical (No S). Give us an H...

On 18/01/2018 at 17:06, 42nite said:

My mistress?    That great Leeds United team, every one a fighter, and Norm was my hero, even before he became acquainted with the wife!  :blink:

They could be very dirty...Mmmmmmmm

Very much a role model for Alan Dicks' wunderteam.

On 19/01/2018 at 14:04, Red Right Hand said:

I`m a bit surprised there`s not a bit more love for Torquay although I think most football fans more don`t mind them rather than actively like/dislike them.

To me hating Torquay would be like kicking a puppy!

I went out with a Torquay skinhead once.

Archived