IGNORED

Flat

slartibartfast

Is it just me, or has the excited mood among fans seemed to have evaporated since the turn of the year?

5 losses on the spin doesn't help (and probably 6 on Friday).

We've got hardly any fit strikers and the lack of transfer movement in that direction (to me, at least) is worrying!   We were (are) in a great position............don't let's cock this chance up, who knows when it could happen again !

It’s likely that it will be 4 LEAGUE defeats. Although I’m not writing off our chances of a point at Derby just yet! 

You can’t (and thankfully I don’t think people generally have) taken 2 games against easily the best team in the country and a youth team game V Premier league team opposition in the FA cup into account as part of our recent run. 

Only Villa have any cause for concern and we have already responded ok to that in subsequent performances, if not results. 

Of course, we might not lose our next 2, but IF we do, that will be a very tough January out of the way, no more cup distractions, players returning from injury AND we’ll go into the next run of fixtures already holding a play off position and we’ll have 18 massive games ahead of us to try and retain it. 

IF we win, or draw at Derby, then 2nd place will still be well within our sights. 

COYR! 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It’s likely that it will be 4 LEAGUE defeats. Although I’m not writing off our chances of a point at Derby just yet! 

You can’t (and thankfully I don’t think people generally have) taken 2 games against easily the best team in the country and a youth team game V Premier league team opposition in the FA cup into account as part of our recent run. 

Only Villa have any cause for concern and we have already responded ok to that in subsequent performances, if not results. 

Of course, we might not lose our next 2, but IF we do, that will be a very tough January out of the way, no more cup distractions, players returning from injury AND we’ll go into the next run of fixtures already holding a play off position and we’ll have 18 massive games ahead of us to try and retain it. 

IF we win, or draw at Derby, then 2nd place will still be well within our sights. 

COYR! 

I know we had MC in mid-week, but the one that worried me was ,not Villa (obviously knackered) but Norwich. I fully expected to get at least a point, but there was no thrust up front. 'It's ok bringing in midfielders for the future (well, Walsh anyway) but we need a "bigu'n" to at least hold the ball up.

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I know we had MC in mid-week, but the one that worried me was ,not Villa (obviously knackered) but Norwich. I fully expected to get at least a point, but there was no thrust up front. 'It's ok bringing in midfielders for the future (well, Walsh anyway) but we need a "bigu'n" to at least hold the ball up.

I said elsewhere, it was the first time that it looked like something was missing. When the talk was of Hugill or another striker coming in I was worried it might upset the balance. What Norwich showed is we do need that option. I would have brought on Woodrow (even though I don't rate him) as he was as close to an areal threat that we had. Not sure we will still be looking at 2nd by the time FD and Djuric are back.

17 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, but I saw Norwich very much as a typical championship match. Against a decent (ex Prem) team, we pressed, hit the bar, controlled much of the play but didn’t quite click up from. Frustratingly caught by a sucker punch. 

They’ve since taken Chelsea to penalties at Stamford bridge, having already drawn with them at home, and have been on a decent run of form. 

I don’t think losing that game is any real cause for concern. That’s going to happen in this division. 

No doubt, the sooner we get a fit Fammy back (or/and a loan striker) the better. 

No need to panic. We are a different beast to last season. 

IF we can’t get over the line into the play offs, it will now be disappointing, but still have been a marvellous season with massive improvements in nearly all aspects. 

Buckle up for the ensuing roller coaster ride..! 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, but I saw Norwich very much as a typical championship match. Against a decent (ex Prem) team, we pressed, hit the bar, controlled much of the play but didn’t quite click up from. Frustratingly caught by a sucker punch. 

They’ve since taken Chelsea to penalties at Stamford bridge, having already drawn with them at home, and have been on a decent run of form. 

I don’t think losing that game is any real cause for concern. That’s going to happen in this division. 

No doubt, the sooner we get a fit Fammy back (or/and a loan striker) the better. 

No need to panic. We are a different beast to last season. 

IF we can’t get over the line into the play offs, it will now be disappointing, but still have been a marvellous season with massive improvements in nearly all aspects. 

Buckle up for the ensuing roller coaster ride..! 

Oh, I'm not panicking ,just a bit concerned that by the time the strikers are match fit the chance MAY have gone.

12 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Oh, I'm not panicking ,just a bit concerned that by the time the strikers are match fit the chance MAY have gone.

That might happen, but I trust the club to only bring in the right people. 

I’d rather finish 10th with the right people and build for next season, than take another punt on someone like Tomlin, who could set the whole progress made back again by 3 years. 

It's worth remembering that we were 3-0 up by half time at Derby last season and beat them 4-1 at home this season. They're a better team now than they were on either of those occasions and we're in a sticky patch, but there's clearly something about our team that they struggle with.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

And probably 7 on Tuesday....I agree. A bit of a worry but I am trying to stay positive.

We wouldn't have said that two months ago.

We were playing like we could beat anyone and now the mood had definitely changed among the fans but hopefully not among the players.

Ive got a feeling we may upset Derby.

I watched Norwich play really well against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last night.  They've had so patchy results but they are a good team.  Losing to them narrowly last Saturday was just one of football's "hard to predict" results.  We'll pick up again even if we lose to Derby.

Playoffs would be a great outcome but it's already been a fantastic season.

33 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Why is everyone convinced we're going to lose at Derby?

A few defeats doesn't make us a bad team. In fact, as far as I'm concerned we're a really good team that's just had its first full week off since the middle of December.

Bring on Friday, I say. It's 100% winnable.

We done them 4-1 down here, too. If you have the likes of Keogh at the back, we’ll have chances no doubt.

We just need to nullify the likes of Vydra, Russell, etc. 

What's concerning me is the nagging worry that our manager is slipping back into making some of the same mistakes he made last season. Having said that, we are perfectly capable of going to Derby and winning.  Do that and the bad run of form is well and truly over.  I'm concerned that we will start going away from the team that got us where we are in order to fit Walsh and Kent into the team and I'm not sure that's the best way to keep up our promotion push.  Better to introduce them gradually.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I said elsewhere, it was the first time that it looked like something was missing. When the talk was of Hugill or another striker coming in I was worried it might upset the balance. What Norwich showed is we do need that option. I would have brought on Woodrow (even though I don't rate him) as he was as close to an areal threat that we had. Not sure we will still be looking at 2nd by the time FD and Djuric are back.

The refusal to play Woodrow even when the situation is crying our for help up front is perplexing and frustrating in equal measure. However disappointing he may have been so far, we've signed him, so make use of him for Pete's sake, because he won't improve sitting on his arse. Or, alternatively, if the feeling really is that we've made a mistake and he's not trusted even to make cameo appearances from the bench, than stop naming him among the subs. It makes no sense. You might as well have Hinds or one of the other U-23 lads in there for match day experience if nothing else, if you've absolutely no intention of ever fielding Woodrow, not even for only the last 5 or 10 minutes.   

Don't forget that when we got to the play-offs in 2008 we had a run of ten matches resulting in one win, four draws and five defeats.

Last year, 76 points would have been good enough for the play-offs (in that the seventh team had 75 points).  We have 47 points with 19 to play, so something like 9 wins, 5 draws and 5 defeats should put us in the play-offs.  Of course, we've got to get back to winning ways, but it certainly isn't beyond us.  Though the League Cup Final will prove a distraction of course...

The strange thing is, if we were to lose the next two to make it 7 defeats in a row, you’d probably say the Norwich game was the only one without mitigating circumstances and where we would have expected better.

Wolves - best team in the division

Villa - away to a good side, 6th game in 16 days, threadbare squad

Watford - reserve side

Man City - it’s Man City

Norwich - disappointing

Derby (if it happens) - away to the form side in the division

Man City (if it happens) - it’s Man City.

So, with an easier run of games coming up, I don’t see any reason not to remain optimistic - apart from the psychological and confidence-sapping effect of the run of defeats. Thankfully, the reaction on here to our recent run has been measured and I hope that remains the case.

A lot of it is just the normal post Christmas/January depression that happens every year. Still going to work and coming home in the dark and don`t they say that January is the worst month for divorces and such.

Get a bit of sun on our backs and we`ll be fine - it won`t be long before we`re leaving Saturday games in daylight again.

Archived