IGNORED

Antibiotics v Probiotics

Major Isewater

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Suffering from a nasty flu virus I have started a course of antibiotics.

This morning at breakfast I opened my yogurt ' pro biotic ' and now I am concerned that one will cancel out the other ! 

Even as I write they must be battling it out for supremacy in my body .

What should I do ? 

Go to the Vet

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Because doctors very rarely, if ever prescribe antibiotics for a case of the flu. Usually they recommend rest, plenty of fluids and paracetamol 4 hourly.

Being an ex-medic, isn't it obvious that he's developed a secondary infection (a bacterial infection - most likely of the chest), as a consequence of the initial viral infection (influenza).

Jeez dude. I know he didn't state it but it's common knowledge that antibs don't work on viral infections so he must have a bacterial one...

10 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Being an ex-medic, isn't it obvious that he's developed a secondary infection (a bacterial infection - most likely of the chest), as a consequence of the initial viral infection (influenza).

Jeez dude. I know he didn't state it but it's common knowledge that antibs don't work on viral infections so he must have a bacterial one...

Ummm........Peg........you've answered your own question there....

19 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Yes. I was replying to your questioning as to why a doctor would prescribe antibs for a virus.

You know that a doctor wouldn't do that yet still probed for an answer. 

Major never mentioned that he had an infection which as we all know would have been treated with antibiotics.

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Sorry but yes it is

Very few aren't aware that a viral complaint doesn't respond to antibiotics.

Its easy enough to understand if you divide the word antibiotics into two - anti means against and biotic means bacteria which is treated with said medications.

34 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Sorry but yes it is

No need to apologise Tone.

You’d be surprised.

Sadly a lot of people don’t realise that antibiotics are useless against viral infections, a lot of people also don’t understand the importance of finishing a course of antibiotics and others think using leftover antibiotics from a previous infection for a common cold will do the trick.

Doctors have been dishing them out for years to shut people up when they’ve demanded them.

Along with widespread misuse in livestock, especially in the Far East, these are some of the reasons we’re facing the very real and frightening prospect of our existing antibiotics becoming useless in the coming years.

On 26/01/2018 at 17:30, Robbored said:

Because doctors very rarely, if ever prescribe antibiotics for a case of the flu. Usually they recommend rest, plenty of fluids and paracetamol 4 hourly.

Quite right too . Antibiotics kill bacteria , good and bad , and not viruses.

Overuse of antibiotics can also provoke a resistance to them which rends the treatment nul and void and worse , if one day the body really needs them they won't work . 

So  , as my doctor is not a complete idiot, she prescribed me a short course of antibiotics for the secondary infection which had not gone away with rest , fluids etc . 

Are you happy now ?

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Quite right too . Antibiotics kill bacteria , good and bad , and not viruses.

Overuse of antibiotics can also provoke a resistance to them which rends the treatment nul and void and worse , if one day the body really needs them they won't work . 

So  , as my doctor is not a complete idiot, she prescribed me a short course of antibiotics for the secondary infection which had not gone away with rest , fluids etc . 

Are you happy now ?

I also have a lady doctor in France called Cynthia who is a bit of a cracker. Went to see her one day and she was wearing a short red mini dress and heels. Told me my blood pressure was a bit high to which I replied "what do you expect when you are dressed like that?"

Archived