IGNORED

Exciting times...?

PFree

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I still don't get this fascination with buying a "name". I just can't see why the Management team would change course midstream. They have a transfer policy which I expect and hope they will stick to.

Exactly this. Two years ago who would have said that COD, Josh Brownhill or Pato were `names`? They haven`t turned out to be too shabby. Most of us would say they have outperformed some of the `names` we have signed in the same period.

I think the thing with a marquee signing is the lift it can give a club, and having lost however many games it is on the spin we are a club that feels like it needs a small shot in the arm just to raise spirits and confidence. I think everyone is happy with what's been achieved so far, but by the same mark concerns are creeping in that we stand  to surrender a great opportunity. No panic or anything, but a marquee signing could be the tonic we all need - from fans to players. 

The approach the club has followed appears to have been the right path thus far, but it feels like now the time has come for us to speculate to accumulate. Maybe. I wouldn't like to be a manager nor a chairman :) 

22 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I love it when we win big name players like Gary O’Neil, Nicky Hunt and Lee Tomlin as opposed to these nobody’s like Pack, Smith, Paterson, O’Dowda, Wright.....

Yet this is selective thinking - granted, I'm speaking from a different era, but look at players like Jacki who went on to become a club legend. 

I don't envy any of the decision makers at the club for this is a stick or twist moment the like of which we've not experienced for a pretty long time. Genuinely, I wouldn't have a clue what option to choose were I in their shoes :fear:

4 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Yet this is selective thinking - granted, I'm speaking from a different era, but look at players like Jacki who went on to become a club legend. 

I don't envy any of the decision makers at the club for this is a stick or twist moment the like of which we've not experienced for a pretty long time. Genuinely, I wouldn't have a clue what option to choose were I in their shoes :fear:

Look historically at our big name signings and how many actually worked out well.

If you have to go all the way back to Jacki just for one example of one that worked then you have provided more of an argument against a big name signing than for one.

1 success in nearly 3 decades isn't worth it.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Look historically at our big name signings and how many actually worked out well.

If you have to go all the way back to Jacki just for one example of one that worked then you have provided more of an argument against a big name signing than for one.

1 success in 3 decades suggests we've been buying the wrong players. By the looks of it our recruitment department are a bit smarter nowadays. If they can pick up diamonds in the rough (which is arguably much harder), then what's stopping them picking out a gem that's already polished? 

2 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

1 success in 3 decades suggests we've been buying the wrong players. By the looks of it our recruitment department are a bit smarter nowadays. If they can pick up diamonds in the rough (which is arguably much harder), then what's stopping them picking out a gem that's already polished? 

Perhaps that 'gem' having been established will almost definitely go entirely against our recruitment strategy.

We've started using a system, and after the 2-3 years it would need to see the first group of younger players signed to develop we are seeing the benefits. And now people are suggesting going back to the route we went down which lead to our relegation :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Perhaps that 'gem' having been established will almost definitely go entirely against our recruitment strategy.

We've started using a system, and after the 2-3 years it would need to see the first group of younger players signed to develop we are seeing the benefits. And now people are suggesting going back to the route we went down which lead to our relegation :facepalm:

personally, not suggesting anything - as I've said, I really don't know what route the club should follow. But it would be dreadful if we're sitting here a decade on thinking back to the team we had ten years back and saying 'what if...' 

Crikey, I never thought having such a successful first half of the season would create so many dilemmas :D 

33 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Exactly this. Two years ago who would have said that COD, Josh Brownhill or Pato were `names`? They haven`t turned out to be too shabby. Most of us would say they have outperformed some of the `names` we have signed in the same period.

Would completely agree with that but remember your players who are performing well that have gone under the radar, will be targeted not only in the summer transfer window but will also be targeted by defensive coaches trying to make sure they stop them more next season. And the analysts behind the scenes will be informing their respective Championship coaches as to where BC's threats come from e.g. which player passes the ball to Paterson the most? This usually only applies to players who are causing defences problems in the top half of the Championship and I definitely think BC have a few of these kind of players in the current squad. 

Now BC have more of an identity and a structure to their play, of course it's easier for players to be more fluid. But on the flip side of that if I was a defensive coach for another Championship club who is about to come up against BC this season, there are a couple of things I would be working on in training before the game; one would be putting a blocker on Aden Flint at every single set play and the other would be the above, finding the stats on which player passes the ball the most to Paterson, and I would make sure that my player delivers so that the stats after that game, clearly shows the effectiveness of Paterson was a lot less. 

That's only from me watching a few games on TV this year. You could only imagine how much work other analysts/coaches are doing to stop BC's flow and momentum right now. Just a little insight. 

7 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Would completely agree with that but remember your players who are performing well that have gone under the radar, will be targeted not only in the summer transfer window but will also be targeted by defensive coaches trying to make sure they stop them more next season. And the analysts behind the scenes will be informing their respective Championship coaches as to where BC's threats come from e.g. which player passes the ball to Paterson the most? This usually only applies to players who are causing defences problems in the top half of the Championship and I definitely think BC have a few of these kind of players in the current squad. 

Now BC have more of an identity and a structure to their play, of course it's easier for players to be more fluid. But on the flip side of that if I was a defensive coach for another Championship club who is about to come up against BC this season, there are a couple of things I would be working on in training before the game; one would be putting a blocker on Aden Flint at every single set play and the other would be the above, finding the stats on which player passes the ball the most to Paterson, and I would make sure that my player delivers so that the stats after that game, clearly shows the effectiveness of Paterson was a lot less. 

That's only from me watching a few games on TV this year. You could only imagine how much work other analysts/coaches are doing to stop BC's flow and momentum right now. Just a little insight. 

Think we found that out on Saturday. Norwich completely done us and we had two chances all game. Bobby and Pato were controlled for most parts!

21 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Without coming across like an arrogant ****...Gary signed me off the back of finishing in the play-off semi-final with Wolves, after scoring 8 goals and 13 assists in the Championship that season. That return plus chances created put me in the the top 3 mid-fielders in the division that season on stats. I think the fee was for around £500k. I appreciate that was 10 years ago but it can't be a coincidence that the following season I started the most league games for BC and we finished in the highest position for many years.

The point I am trying to make is that if a man/woman goes for an interview in any other job, they have to prove that they are capable of producing the goods. They have to have credentials. So for me it's so simple, BC want to get promoted to the PL. In order to do that you must sign players who have the credentials i.e. the top players in the Championship that are proven to do the job. Give them bags of confidence and your team will get promoted. Young players or inexperienced players are great to throw in to get them up to scratch but you must sign players who are proven and hot right now. 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Got chatting to a Forest fan at work earlier today-he's so gutted about Pato I was(almost) consoling him!..

3 hours ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Without coming across like an arrogant ****...Gary signed me off the back of finishing in the play-off semi-final with Wolves, after scoring 8 goals and 13 assists in the Championship that season. That return plus chances created put me in the the top 3 mid-fielders in the division that season on stats. I think the fee was for around £500k. I appreciate that was 10 years ago but it can't be a coincidence that the following season I started the most league games for BC and we finished in the highest position for many years.

The point I am trying to make is that if a man/woman goes for an interview in any other job, they have to prove that they are capable of producing the goods. They have to have credentials. So for me it's so simple, BC want to get promoted to the PL. In order to do that you must sign players who have the credentials i.e. the top players in the Championship that are proven to do the job. Give them bags of confidence and your team will get promoted. Young players or inexperienced players are great to throw in to get them up to scratch but you must sign players who are proven and hot right now. 

At the risk of sounding like a brown nose, my reference to 'one successful big signing in three decades' was based on the prior assertion of another poster - having lived outside of England for the last 18 years I'm completely unqualified to judge who has been hit, who has been miss, who has been big, and who hasn't, since my departure. Granted, it's been easier the last few years with City being on TV. 

One point I disagree on that some have made is this whole concept and fear of 'breaking with our transfer strategy'. The last couple of seasons it appears (with a couple of exceptions) that we have followed a policy of nurturing young talent, a policy that appears to finally be bearing dividends. Even so, I don't understand the whole determination to stick rigidly to this. While there is a risk of upsetting the apple cart, surely the most successful clubs are the ones that recognize the right time to bend their rules and adapt to their current situation. Like anything in life, whether it be in work or a relationship or anything else, you need to know when the time is correct to do something a little different. As I've mentioned elsewhere on this thread, we're in a relatively unique moment where we have to decide if to stick or twist. It's an intimidating decision because the consequences stand to be so variable. But yes, I totally agree with your final point about signing up players that are "proven and hot".

4 hours ago, Michael McIndoe said:

after that posting reckon you have done the work for them.

So are you saying that signing someone who’d won the play-offs would have been better for us..?!

I jest, of course..!

The problem is, wanting the best players is one thing, getting them is a completely different thing. 

Out of interest, who would you realistically suggest we should be targeting, than may genuinely be interested in joining us..? 

Sounds like it's already started. That's the problem with doing well! 

Yep, agreed.

I would also suggest- as I said in the buildip, that somehow tactically and stylistically our sort of game suits Norwich...much more vulnerable vs a physical side, say a Millwall away. They showed comfort v Chelsea in both games too and Arsenal in the Cup.

Fully agree though, profile raises, great- doing well, limelight...but the flip side is our strengths and weaknesses much better known and because of our run in the Cup on top of riding high, team becomes a bit of a scalp, doesn't it?

On 19/01/2018 at 01:17, Bar BS3 said:

So are you saying that signing someone who’d won the play-offs would have been better for us..?!

I jest, of course..!

The problem is, wanting the best players is one thing, getting them is a completely different thing. 

Out of interest, who would you realistically suggest we should be targeting, than may genuinely be interested in joining us..? 

Right now I would be targeting Gary Madine from Bolton Wanderers. I've said on another thread somewhere on here that he would be a good fit as I think you need a bit more of an aerial presence in the box. 

23 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Right now I would be targeting Gary Madine from Bolton Wanderers. I've said on another thread somewhere on here that he would be a good fit as I think you need a bit more of an aerial presence in the box. 

I can`t see Bolton selling him even if we were interested as he`s the only chance they`ve got of staying up this season. Not that I`d want him anyway though but I take your point about height in the box from open play.

43 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Cant say i agree with that.. we have an a abundance of aerial threats at the club.. even more so with players like Famara returning 

On 18/01/2018 at 20:24, JamesBCFC said:

Jackie was not a success .

The guy was a talented waster who took the piss out of our club . 

On 18/01/2018 at 19:40, Michael McIndoe said:

....and to some extent us playing the same eleven for the last two months has made it easier for team’s to watch us and be pretty confident that’s the way we are gonna play, as per Lew-T’s post below.  I wasn’t at the Norwich game, so can’t comment.

If you take Derby’s previous 4 matches (before Friday) they kept the same 4231 each game (as they did with us), but they were able to mix and match players.

• Nugent and Winnall, not hugely different, but give defenders different issues
  • Weimann and Lawrence, One all about pace, the other about skills (over-generalisation I accept)....Bailey Wright is gonna have to wait for the team-sheet before knowing who he’s up against
  • Thorne or Johnson, one sits and the other wants to be a bit of a glory-boy getting forward.
  • etc
On 18/01/2018 at 19:49, Lew-T said:

Think we found that out on Saturday. Norwich completely done us and we had two chances all game. Bobby and Pato were controlled for most parts!

Yes, and that is why I’m hoping Famara Diedhiou will give us the option to play differently within the same game.  We can go longer, but also allow Bobby to float short and off the shoulder into the channels.  Suddenly looking at who passes to Pato becomes a bit obsolete and City are no longer dependent on playing through the lines.

I quite like it when we play a bit quicker into the front men or Down the sides, especially where opposition want to squeeze and condense our midfield....with Fam and Bobby spinning into those channels, either getting on the ball 40 yards further forward, or forcing throw-ins in the last third.  Not necessarily for Hörður’s long throws, but a chance to get everyone up and create the pressure.  It’s what we did against Boro, who’s full-backs (Fabio and Christie) played incredibly high to stop our wide midfielders (Brownhill and Bryan) influencing the game, but we just chipped balls in behind them, down the sides and got Good possession high up.

On 18/01/2018 at 20:24, JamesBCFC said:

Terry Cooper 

Norman Hunter 

Joe Jordan all weren't too shabby .

You also have to ask where we were in the League structure to attract ' big names '  in more recent times .

It could be argued that ' big names ' in the lower leagues were more than happy to sign for us.

Including our double winning side that had a fair amount stars of the division.

I agree however that a team is more important that a collection of star players.

Archived