IGNORED

The Derby County v Bristol City Match Day Thread 28

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I think so, see the number of times he was out of position or ceded possession in key areas. His lack of pace was exploited by Derby all night. He also gives the ball away far too much, very few of his Hoddle balls connected tonight. He needs to pass and move and whilst he's good at the first, for the second he struggles majorly and after the hour shouldn't be on the park.

I agree with you about the long-range passes, they were a bit wayward. I thought he was tidy and composed though, and settled things down the majority of the time he got on the ball. 

Re your point about Magnússon - I'm certainly not the 'blame the foreign player' type at all, but going on what I've seen, he always seems to have a big mistake/misjudgement in him. I don't feel comfortable watching him. 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Flints face when he looks up to see if Ref has given the penalty 

:laughcont::laughcont:

He knew it was going to be given .
That said, I thought there was a foul on Flint by Jerome in the build up. And if he really wants to he can stay on his feet, he would have got a shot in. Instead both legs fly up in the air and his arms wave around. I would have been pleased if that same decision had gone for anyone, not just up, Exageration is an understatement .
Right I'll go and calm down by looking in the fridge for another beer.

2 minutes ago, Midred said:

Disappointed with Joe tonight, he appears to be believing his own hype and seemed to be bollocking alot of people when he couldn't be arsed to run after the ball. Whilst not every ball was to his toe he seemed to be expecting it.

Tin hat on!

Was just about to go a bit further and suggest we haven't had Joey looking magic since the United game. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Red Rum said:

McClaren, what a patronising c u next Tuesday. ‘’We’re a good little team but not big and tough enough for the top two’

He is probably right though... likes of Derby & Villa have much more strength in depth than we do and more experienced players. Personally cannot see us doing better than 4th, which would still be great achievement.

• Like 2

Well pleased with the point. Not a good watch, but plenty of postives from a tough fixture I wasn't all that positive about. Particularly early in each half we looked decent, snuffing Derby out for long stretches and limiting them to the counter, where they were most dangerous. Resolute defence when it had to be - I hope Baker's injury isn't bad.

Had some chances tho, but punchless up front -again. We need a striker bad, been of the opinion for a long time. If we had Tammy in this team or Kodjia, we'd be in the automatics. It was good to see Famara back ofc, but he looked off the pace and his touch was often poor (understandably).

Rode our luck, but definitely a point gained. Was a clear pen, and would've been had Jerome not flown through the air like an olympic diver before he hit the turf. Serves ya right, pal.

9 minutes ago, cityexile said:

No reason for them to be knackered after a week off really. Maybe not quite 100% some players, maybe mid week at the back of their mind, who knows, but for whatever reason to many players not quite on their game. No league goals in 3 is a worry, but Fam suddenly gave us more options. 

Lucky for sure tonight. I did think considering we were away at a good side we managed posession pretty well, just without any real thrust. Against that had to use up two subs because of injuries so the luck was not all one way.

Excellent point, average performance.

Someone doesnt understand how fatigue works!  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

McLaren calls us 'a nice little team'.  What planet does he come from?

In the grand scheme of things we are. He was complimentary  about us and compared with the money spent by others and the time other teams have been around the top of the Championship it's a fair remark.

14 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I expected the worst so I'm, that's a very good result. Oh me of little faith. 

What I'm more surprised at is the amount of vitriol against some of our players. It's a team game and away at in form second in the table, that is a very creditable draw. 

Another point, the losing run halted, and still in the hunt. 

Vitriol  :laughcont:

Snowwwwflake

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
4 minutes ago, RedJim said:

Re your point about Magnússon - I'm certainly not the 'blame the foreign player' type at all, but going on what I've seen, he always seems to have a big mistake/misjudgement in him. I don't feel comfortable watching him. 

The Ashton crowd has long been notoriously fickle, we blame the outcome not the cause. As and when Hodour gets pulled into dodgy positions look at who's in front and why? Technically,  he covered well tonight. He also made a whole heap of emergency mistakes , but largely because others weren't doing their jobs. 

• Like 1

Well I thought we were going to be well beaten tonight, but to be fair play I thought we were fully deserving of a point tonight and I think the summarisers all called it right, go down in a theatrical way and you run the risk of not getting a penalty, sympathy? have I ****.

We are strong, we will not be bullied and we don’t feel the need to throw ourselves to the ground.

Diedhiou was terrific and certainly the catalyst for our improved 2nd performance, a little ring rusty obviously but my god it shows what we have missed.

The good news is apart from Cardiff away we have now played all of the better sides twice.

Fielding/Steele 7 Both played really well, did what they had to do with little or no fuss.

Wright 6 He was ok, but I have to say again he is not a full back.

Flint 7 A few mistakes but solid enough.

Baker 7 Look his usual self for the first 45 minutes.

Magnússon 5 I know this is probably not going to be popular, but he makes me nervous and I think that it also makes Flint nervous, he is far too casual at times, the way he allowed Russell past him in our box after doing the hard work was a carbon copy of a huge mistake he made at home earlier in the season against Cardiff, luckily this time it did not cost us a goal and I think his positional play is suspect.

Brownhill 6 Not at his best but boy does he put in a shift every game.

Smith 8 My MOM, I thought he was terrific tonight, attacking and defending, what an engine.

Pack 7 I thought he played well within himself all night, but certainly did his bit, I wonder if the spectre of a ban might be stifling his normal all action style?.

Bryan 7 I thought his best work was defensively tonight, solid.

Paterson 6 Always a threat but his shooting boots are missing.

Reid 7 I just love his energy, defenders cannot take there eyes off of him at all, he came alive in the 2nd half having Diedhiou with him.

Diedhiou 8 Because he gave balance to an unbalanced team, we need him fit.

LJ 9 Tactics were spot on, picked the best team initially available to him, brave as usual with his unenforced substitution.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

And also mental fatigue, these are young players. 

I suspect that is more the case, but I am only guessing really. 

Lots of big games in a row. The only result I was outright disappointed by in the run was Norwich really. Other than that every game seems to have been a big one!

Edited by cityexile
11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

In the grand scheme of things we are. He was complimentary  about us and compared with the money spent by others and the time other teams have been around the top of the Championship it's a fair remark.

No it is patronising.

A nice little club - fair enough, but certainly not a nice little team

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

The Ashton crowd has long been notoriously fickle, we blame the outcome not the cause. As and when Hodour gets pulled into dodgy positions look at who's in front and why? Technically,  he covered well tonight. He also made a whole heap of emergency mistakes , but largely because others weren't doing their jobs. 

I think football comes easy to him and he doesnt have to try as hard as other players to be effective, that must wind up some players who have to push themselves to the absolute limit becuase they might not have the raw talent, I love Mags, you want to throttle him and then hug him :punish: I think he could be a star if he wants it.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well I thought we were going to be well beaten tonight, but to be fair play I thought we were fully deserving of a point tonight and I think the summarisers all called it right, go down in a theatrical way and you run the risk of not getting a penalty, sympathy? have I ****.

We are strong, we will not be bullied and we don’t feel the need to throw ourselves to the ground.

Diedhiou was terrific and certainly the catalyst for our improved 2nd performance, a little ring rusty obviously but my god it shows what we have missed.

The good news is apart from Cardiff away we have now played all of the better sides twice.

Fielding/Steele 7 Both played really well, did what they had to do with little or no fuss.

Magnússon 5 I know this is probably not going to be popular, but he makes me nervous and I think that it also makes Flint nervous, he is far too casual at times, the way he allowed Russell past him in our box after doing the hard work was a carbon copy of a huge mistake he made at home earlier in the season against Cardiff, luckily this time it did not cost us a goal and I think his positional play is suspect.

Smith 8 My MOM, I thought he was terrific tonight, attacking and defending, what an engine.

Pack 7 I thought he played well within himself all night, but certainly did his bit, I wonder if the spectre of a ban might be stifling his normal all action style?.

Reid 7 I just love his energy, defenders cannot take there eyes off of him at all, he came alive in the 2nd half having Diedhiou with him.

LJ 9 Tactics were spot on, picked the best team initially available to him, brave as usual with his unenforced substitution.

Cannot question commitment. Minor thing, but I thought our No 1 was our MoM, even tho’ there were two of them!

With some luck maybe, but keeping a clean sheet after Baker went off was huge. 

Edited by cityexile
2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I didn't think Bryan was solid at all.

The way I saw it, we played some nice tiki-taka one-touch football but were absolutely blunt going forward. Too many high balls pumped into the final third, which either went to one of their defenders or into thin air. It's a frustrating tactic because a) we're easily good enough to play it on the ground, b) the balls are rarely accurate enough and c) Bobby Reid is tiny. 

Paterson didn't do a lot today, and I think LJ should've brought on Kent to test their tired legs.

Korey Smith was immense.

• Like 2

McClaren truly is the 'Wally with the Brolly' but he called it pretty much spot on. With no offensive threat we're a danger to few. Decent passing football reinforced by an over abundance in midfield which, frankly, had served us well so far, but we're miles off the best in this League and will have performed far beyond expectation should we make the Play-Offs. There's no shame in that and WeeLee will have proved exceptional were he to get us there given the resources at his disposal.

Don't get me wrong I love the squad , but if we are to progress then, simply, many aren't good enough. Truth sometimes hurts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2