IGNORED

The Derby County v Bristol City Match Day Thread 28

Our quick passing and pressing game needs everyone to be on the same wavelength. Whether it's fatigue ( mental and/or physical) taking it's toll, but I think a few were just off the ace tonight.  When we were passing tight around their area too often our touch was clumsy enabling them to break away and too often we seemed to want an extra touch or a bit more time allowing them to get tackles in too easily.

When Fammy came on we seemed to raise our game and started to look much more dangerous, but as soon as Fammy started to tire he and we lost a bit of sharpness and intensity  and in the end we did well to hold on for a draw - perhaps lucky but overall deserved to stop the rot.

After these tough championship games it will be good for the players to relax against easier opposition next week. :)

P.S. Meant to add that had we had a full and fully fit squad, we would have been happy to come away from Derby with a point, given the run they've been on. To do so with our injury problems, and the changes enforced this evening, with Derby's good run and our poor run of recent results makes the result even better.

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 3

Great point. Obviously lucky with the penalty decision and for Jerome to get booked really was a kick in the teeth for them.

The big plus was Fam tonight, who whilst there were a couple of rusty passes his hold up play and physicality were exactly what we've been missing. There was one long high ball that he took out the air on his chest that was sublime. His presence also frees up Bobby to play in his best position. 

We'll take the point to stop the losing run, in what was arguably our hardest fixture left and hopefully the team take the positives into Tuesday! 

Edited by Dman_Red
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well I thought we were going to be well beaten tonight, but to be fair play I thought we were fully deserving of a point tonight and I think the summarisers all called it right, go down in a theatrical way and you run the risk of not getting a penalty, sympathy? have I ****.

We are strong, we will not be bullied and we don’t feel the need to throw ourselves to the ground.

Diedhiou was terrific and certainly the catalyst for our improved 2nd performance, a little ring rusty obviously but my god it shows what we have missed.

The good news is apart from Cardiff away we have now played all of the better sides twice.

Fielding/Steele 7 Both played really well, did what they had to do with little or no fuss.

Wright 6 He was ok, but I have to say again he is not a full back.

Flint 7 A few mistakes but solid enough.  [Or 4 if there was VAR for this match]

Baker 7 Look his usual self for the first 45 minutes.

Magnússon 5 I know this is probably not going to be popular, but he makes me nervous and I think that it also makes Flint nervous, he is far too casual at times, the way he allowed Russell past him in our box after doing the hard work was a carbon copy of a huge mistake he made at home earlier in the season against Cardiff, luckily this time it did not cost us a goal and I think his positional play is suspect.

Brownhill 6 Not at his best but boy does he put in a shift every game.

Smith 8 My MOM, I thought he was terrific tonight, attacking and defending, what an engine.

Pack 7 I thought he played well within himself all night, but certainly did his bit, I wonder if the spectre of a ban might be stifling his normal all action style?.

Bryan 7 I thought his best work was defensively tonight, solid.

Paterson 6 Always a threat but his shooting boots are missing.

Reid 7 I just love his energy, defenders cannot take there eyes off of him at all, he came alive in the 2nd half having Diedhiou with him.

Diedhiou 8 Because he gave balance to an unbalanced team, we need him fit.

LJ 9 Tactics were spot on, picked the best team initially available to him, brave as usual with his unenforced substitution.

15 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well I thought we were going to be well beaten tonight, but to be fair play I thought we were fully deserving of a point tonight and I think the summarisers all called it right, go down in a theatrical way and you run the risk of not getting a penalty, sympathy? have I ****.

We are strong, we will not be bullied and we don’t feel the need to throw ourselves to the ground.

Diedhiou was terrific and certainly the catalyst for our improved 2nd performance, a little ring rusty obviously but my god it shows what we have missed.

The good news is apart from Cardiff away we have now played all of the better sides twice.

Fielding/Steele 7 Both played really well, did what they had to do with little or no fuss.

Wright 6 He was ok, but I have to say again he is not a full back.

Flint 7 A few mistakes but solid enough.

Baker 7 Look his usual self for the first 45 minutes.

Magnússon 5 I know this is probably not going to be popular, but he makes me nervous and I think that it also makes Flint nervous, he is far too casual at times, the way he allowed Russell past him in our box after doing the hard work was a carbon copy of a huge mistake he made at home earlier in the season against Cardiff, luckily this time it did not cost us a goal and I think his positional play is suspect.

Brownhill 6 Not at his best but boy does he put in a shift every game.

Smith 8 My MOM, I thought he was terrific tonight, attacking and defending, what an engine.

Pack 7 I thought he played well within himself all night, but certainly did his bit, I wonder if the spectre of a ban might be stifling his normal all action style?.

Bryan 7 I thought his best work was defensively tonight, solid.

Paterson 6 Always a threat but his shooting boots are missing.

Reid 7 I just love his energy, defenders cannot take there eyes off of him at all, he came alive in the 2nd half having Diedhiou with him.

Diedhiou 8 Because he gave balance to an unbalanced team, we need him fit.

LJ 9 Tactics were spot on, picked the best team initially available to him, brave as usual with his unenforced substitution.

Your having a laugh mate. Agree with the keepers. Wright was ok. Flint did good but needs to mark tighter. Baker we missed by Magnússon. Magnússon worked hard and was involved in a lot of the play. But he was let down by a Bryan who had that lost look about him and was casual. Also with Pack way off the pace and continuously losing the ball, it kept coming at the back four. So he gets a 7 from me. Bryan a 5. Paterson a 6. Reid an 8. Duedhiou 6 but as he hasn’t played an 8. LJ a 7 could have been an 8 but he doesn’t get the need to bring on a sub in extra time to give us a breather and break up the oppositions rhythm. But we got lucky with a point and we are still up the top. Play the subs we had today against Man C and give the lads a rest.

Edited by WECANDO
Add on.

I can't believe the moaning and complaining on this forum after a dogged strong performance away to a team who were totally on form and scoring goals in abundance. Our boys applied themselves physically and mentally and brought their poor spell to an end. Every team goes through a bad time at some point in the season (look at Cardiff and the two Sheffield sides recently). Cardiff have sorted themselves out of late and hopefully City did tonight. Expect the jitters from Wolves soon. Villa and Derby had their rough times earlier in the season. It's still all to play for.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
5 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

I think football comes easy to him and he doesnt have to try as hard as other players to be effective, that must wind up some players who have to push themselves to the absolute limit becuase they might not have the raw talent, I love Mags, you want to throttle him and then hug him :punish: I think he could be a star if he wants it.

It really looks to me like he lacks confidence, I said before, when he started getting a run he was constantly looking for someone to to tell him when to go, where to stand. As he's got more games at full back he's gradually grown into it and started forming a good partnership with JB. It looked similar tonight, he looked a little unsure at times, but the one where he pokes the ball to a Derby player in the box , if he doesn't play it Russell has it in the area . And he did get bullied by Jerome, but so did Flint at times. 

6 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I didn't think Bryan was solid at all.

The way I saw it, we played some nice tiki-taka one-touch football but were absolutely blunt going forward. Too many high balls pumped into the final third, which either went to one of their defenders or into thin air. It's a frustrating tactic because a) we're easily good enough to play it on the ground, b) the balls are rarely accurate enough and c) Bobby Reid is tiny. 

Paterson didn't do a lot today, and I think LJ should've brought on Kent to test their tired legs.

Korey Smith was immense.

Well it's all about opinions of course, tonight we were playing the form team of the division, with incredibly dangerous offensive players, a team who could take off Vydra, Nugent and Lawrence and replace them with Winnal, Wiemann and Jerome and we managed to keep them at a distance and apart from maybe 2 chances in the 2nd half they created very little, we had presentable a presentable chance in the first half and probably 3 in the 2nd half.

2nd half we were able to play it more to feet towards the tiny Reid but also go long to the big Diedhiou, I mentioned that Paterson wasn't wearing his shooting boots but he is always a threat.

It might interest you to know that according to sky we had 56.1% of the possession.

It was a brave performance, a brave performance from a depleted squad, who had to survive another 2 more injuries at halftime, I couldn't be happier.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, gordie said:

Taylor has been playing with a hernia, fair play to him :clap:

Playing for Hibernia? That's his level, Post Brexit Pub League. 

Lest not forget Clarkson, he who moved in the opposite direction, was the highest performing 'publican' at the point we signed him and don't recall too much upset our side at the services he provided them. 

Class is permanent, Glass (or what's in it) varies region to region. Make mine a Buckfast.........

10 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Your having a laugh mate. Agree with the keepers. Wright was ok. Flint did good but needs to mark tighter. Baker we missed by Magnússon. Magnússon worked hard and was involved in a lot of the play. But he was let down by a Bryan who had that lost look about him and was casual. Also with Pack way off the pace and continuously losing the ball, it kept coming at the back four. So he gets a 7 from me. Bryan a 5. Paterson a 6. Reid an 8. Duedhiou 6 but as he hasn’t played an 8. LJ a 7 could have been an 8 but he doesn’t get the need to bring on a sub in extra time to give us a breather and break up the oppositions rhythm. But we got lucky with a point and we are still up the top. Play the subs we had today against Man C and give the lads a rest.

I refer you to post 717 on this thread.

10 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

I can't believe the moaning and complaining on this forum after a dogged strong performance away to a team who were totally on form and scoring goals in abundance. Our boys applied themselves physically and mentally and brought their poor spell to an end. Every team goes through a bad time at some point in the season (look at Cardiff and the two Sheffield sides recently). Cardiff have sorted themselves out of late and hopefully City did tonight. Expect the jitters from Wolves soon. Villa and Derby had their rough times earlier in the season. It's still all to play for.

And neither can I.

18 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

Wolves won't falter - comfortable title win for them. 

Well done City. Luck with the pen and the woodwork. Think it was a good game, we were better in the second half. Hörður is ok but sometimes he is to slow and give the ball away in dangerous situations. Think he is more himself as a cb. Derby the better team, but hey, we could have won also. One point away is very well done after Wolves, Villa and Norwich. We show that we still can beat any team in this leauge. Happy with the result and performance. COYR!!!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Garland-sweden said:

Well done City. Luck with the pen and the woodwork. Think it was a good game, we were better in the second half. Hörður is ok but sometimes he is to slow and give the ball away in dangerous situations. Think he is more himself as a cb. Derby the better team, but hey, we could have won also. One point away is very well done after Wolves, Villa and Norwich. We show that we still can beat any team in this leauge. Happy with the result and performance. COYR!!!

This is a good assessment of the game.

16 minutes ago, nickolas said:

No joke. FF made one save

Paterson missed the glaring chance for either team in the first half. 

Its no joke!

Save from the free kick, potentially got a touch on Russell's free kick onto the crossbar, tipped one over the bar which was given as a goal kick.

Close game, was tiny margins that could have decided the game. I thought it was a stone wall penalty, but obviously I'm biased. You looked good on the break a few times, and maybe should have finished a few of your chances, as we should have. I'd love to see you challenging at the top end at the end of the season. Having said that, I'm extremely frustrated with the refereeing decision made. I see no reason why Bristol can't finish above the likes of Cardiff and Villa, and I hope you do. A good young English manager, and play football in the right way. Good luck for the rest of your season! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dman_Red said:

Great point. Obviously lucky with the penalty decision and for Jerome to get booked really was a kick in the teeth for them.

The big plus was Fam tonight, who whilst there were a couple of rusty passes his hold up play and physicality were exactly what we've been missing. There was one long high ball that he took out the air on his chest that was sublime. His presence also frees up Bobby to play in his best position. 

We'll take the point to stop the losing run, in what was arguably our hardest fixture left and hopefully the team take the positives into Tuesday! 

Jerome deserved his booking for his swallow/premiership dive technique. When will the phukers cut that out. It was a pen but glad he got booked.

• Like 1

Useful point.

Good effort all round. Especially Flint, Korey & both keepers. Reid covered a lot of ground, though i do wonder if he should expend so much energy chasing back into our own half & perhaps save a bit more for when we’re going forward. Certainly helped when Famara came on.

When Joe dropped to LB a few times didn’t close down the oppo quick enough & also more concentration needed on final delivery.

But hey maybe I’m nit picking.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

I didn't think Bryan was solid at all.

The way I saw it, we played some nice tiki-taka one-touch football but were absolutely blunt going forward. Too many high balls pumped into the final third, which either went to one of their defenders or into thin air. It's a frustrating tactic because a) we're easily good enough to play it on the ground, b) the balls are rarely accurate enough and c) Bobby Reid is tiny. 

Paterson didn't do a lot today, and I think LJ should've brought on Kent to test their tired legs.

Korey Smith was immense.

Magnússon has me worried every game he plays.  I really can't see why everyone else thinks he's any good.  He's by far the weakest link in the chain.

• Like 3

ok, all you lot of little faith, 3-0 this 2-0 that, just get it into your heads.....we are a very, very good side. Stop this negativity, we are pushing bigtime for the playoffs and, with the next three games coming up, we have still got a chance of Automatic. About time these City boys are given the credit they deserve for what they have given us so far. Any negative posts from now on can **** off abd support the gas. 

• Thanks 1

A good performance tonight against a top club in our league. Yes, we got lucky several times, not least with no pen for Flint's challenge against Jerome, but we matched them - especially 2nd half. 

As others have said, we now have a relatively easy run in to the end of the season and I am confident we will at least make the play offs with an outside chance of getting the Automatic 2nd slot.

All, our team were great tonight but for me, once again, Bobby Reid was immense. He never gives up and (along with Pack IMO) is our most improved player this season.

Bring on Man City - we have noting to fear, although I am worried if Baker is not available as a result of an injury sustained tonight. 

We were very lucky with what was a nailed on penalty. Having said that how many times has a similar situation worked against us? I’ll take that all day and do would the Derby fans in the reverse situation. 

I think tonight was a point gained and a confidence boost. Yes, Paterson should have done better in the first half but Derby had plenty of chances too. 

On the woodwork - yes it’s impressive and looks good when the woodwork is hit, but if those shots had been in target they would have been saved as both Frank and Luke were positioned correctly. 

A good point and a morale booster for me. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cityexile said:

No reason for them to be knackered after a week off really. Maybe not quite 100% some players, maybe mid week at the back of their mind, who knows, but for whatever reason to many players not quite on their game. No league goals in 3 is a worry, but Fam suddenly gave us more options. 

Lucky for sure tonight. I did think considering we were away at a good side we managed posession pretty well, just without any real thrust. Against that had to use up two subs because of injuries so the luck was not all one way.

Excellent point, average performance.

Excellent point, yes. Average performance , no way. Have you looked at Derbys recent results.....clearly not. Great performance to get a excellent point.