IGNORED

Bobby Reid

steviestevieneville

How good is this lad. I was one who said as a central midfielder he was league one player, even after watching his impressive performances for argyle on loan in the play offs. 

We’ be seen two massive sides to his game though. Leading the line without a big man and more importantly where he got his goals earlier in the season playing off a big man. He was outstanding second half. 

By no means am I saying move him from being a striker as he's been excellent, but for a while I've been worried what would happen to us if we lost Pato for a while. Just watching Reid's highlights showed after the game if we were to add upfront and lose pato (or even as a transfer in the summer) I feel Bobby's game has developed so well that he could easily fit into Pato's roaming role.

7 minutes ago, Magicseason said:

When you think the commentators were suggesting it was time for Derby to make their subs as the front men don’t end a full game because of their work rate. That is embarrassing compared to the shift Bobby etc put in

Vydra and co were their usual petulant arrogant selves and as you say totally shown up by our one striker . I was at the game and for Derby were very ordinary , not as effective as Norwich . Great result for City . Things on the up . 

22 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Another amazing display by him. Him and Smith our standouts.

To be fair Dave they all are. We’re a well oiled machine but bobby is our trigger. We had it with Tammy last season with the press but had lazy bastards like tomlin who let it down. Cant underestimate that performance tonight. 

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

To be fair Dave they all are. We’re a well oiled machine but bobby is our trigger. We had it with Tammy last season with the press but had lazy bastards like tomlin who let it down. Cant underestimate that performance tonight. 

Agreed. A few of my mates thought we weren't very good.  I thought we deserved a point and were excellent in spells.

People forget Derby are second, 9 games unbeaten and lost 2 in 20

Great point tonight, we’d have taken that all day long. It stops the rot and that’s what tonight was all about for me  

As for Bobby, he’s been absolutely outstanding since moving positions. Getting him tied down to a new deal would be the best signing we’ll make all season. 

It was a pretty professional AWAY performance.  We rode a bit of luck.

Was the pitch a bit crap...looked like one where you were never assured of your footing?  Lots of slipping on contact, when trying to clear the ball.

Derby are a good side, and we tried to go toe to toe with them.

Reid, now a very important player.  With Diedhiou he will get a bit more time and space when we’ve got the ball.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Agreed. A few of my mates thought we weren't very good.  I thought we deserved a point and were excellent in spells.

Well sorry but your Mates are idiots. There is so much more to 90 minutes than the result .  In the first part of the second half , there was a reminder of how good we were up until the end of October. Plus how well this squad has kept going to be semis of the cup and still in the play offs . Remarkable mental strength by all . 

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Well sorry but your Mates are idiots. There is so much more to 90 minutes than the result .  In the first part of the second half , there was a reminder of how good we were up until the end of October. Plus how well this squad has kept going to be semis of the cup and still in the play offs . Remarkable mental strength by all . 

Spot on SSN.  We aren’t gonna dominate for 90 minutes against Derby, second in the league and away from home.  We played in spells tonight, and in those Good spells we reminded everyone what we are capable of without the end product.  Derby had their spells too, and showed why they are probably favourites for second place.

I think a lot of people expected us to be 8 points behind them after tonight, so in some perverse way a draw is worth three points (I know it sounds bizarre).  Need to get our home form back on track next Saturday, and see where that takes us.

48/28 = 1.71 = 78/79 points.

2 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Bobby easily worth £20M

If that's what the market dictates then bite it's hand off.

As to your point he could play 'anywhere on the pitch': at the back or in goal he'd prove useless and in some opinion, mine own included, upfront he isn't much better.

However, if played in midfield.....

22 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

If that's what the market dictates then bite it's hand off.

As to your point he could play 'anywhere on the pitch': at the back or in goal he'd prove useless and in some opinion, mine own included, upfront he isn't much better.

However, if played in midfield.....

Upfront....he aint much better. ???..you need to watch this guy live a few times....he is an exceptional forward and everything you would want from a striker at this level and has performed miracles on his own up top for the last few weeks. 

2 hours ago, Magicseason said:

When you think the commentators were suggesting it was time for Derby to make their subs as the front men don’t end a full game because of their work rate. That is embarrassing compared to the shift Bobby etc put in

Sure I read before the game that BR has played 1430 out of 1440 minutes of league football. Staggering.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, what are the good things, and playing devil’s advocate, for a non-striker what do you think of a 14 goal contribution?

I think he's converted a percentage of chances that's come his way though I believe a competent striker would have created and converted far more. His lack of statute and presence isn't his fault (I blame the parents) but he's non-existent in the air, provides little or no physical challenge and isn't good at holding it up on his own (which foolishly is what we've demanded of him.)

He is however fleet of foot, quick of thought and possesses more than an element of vision. He has phenomenal workrate, great attitude and is able to press high in defence. Whether he could play the little'un alongside a lump remains to be seen. Personally, I'd pencil him in every time just the front of the middle  behind the strikers.

When WeeLee said Reid came to him, whilst on his sun-lounger, as holding all the credentials of the top-notch striker he'd been looking for I fear, and to paraphrase the great John Arlott, the inexorable mixture of sun and alcohol (retsina perchance) began to weave their magic....

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

I hadn't forgotten derby were on fire, we did not get any were near the credit we deserved tonight, bet the derby fans going home tonight have got a different view,thinking thank god we haven't got to play them again. 

There’s only two more ‘competent strikers’ in this division?  One of them plays for the best team in the division, who create a barrel-load of chances!

He is by no way the ultimate striker, I accept, but he has proved to be a very effective ‘forward’ Both in terms of goal output and fit to team style.

I think you need to take LJ with a pinch of salt....should’ve had him in Australia as our "spinner"

6D87E664-C4EB-4861-8D6A-2EBD7E483FBF.jpeg

15 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Upfront....he aint much better. ???..you need to watch this guy live a few times....he is an exceptional forward and everything you would want from a striker at this level and has performed miracles on his own up top for the last few weeks. 

Reckon there's a fair chance I've seen more of Reid in the flesh than you (unless you're his squeeze.) He wasn't a striker at the start of his career or this season and isn't now, and most certainly wouldn't have played as such had we fit and talented alternates upfront. If he's an exceptional forward at the highest level they will come for him. I won't hold my breath. 

I do look forward to him returning to where he is able to do damage, he being a fine player.

Archived