IGNORED

Marlon Pack

Hocca

18 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Hes not. The club can activate a 1 year option should they wish. 

Thanks. That will teach me for trusting Wiki for football facts!

In May 2015 Pack signed a new two-year contract to remain at the club until the summer of 2017.[24] This was followed by the option for a further year being taken up

Pack & Smith were superb as a centre mid pairing tonight. Derby had absolutely nothing come through the middle, they were excellent. 

Pack made about 4 reverse passes tonight which wrong footed Derby that had someone like Silva done it we’d be calling for the Ballon D’or. 

I do agree that he had a sloppy 5 mins toward the end (not half hour as someone said, 5 mins). 

I thought Brownhill was terrible tonight. Couldn’t pass, had no thought process, made poor decisions. Very poor. 

Flint looked shakier after Baker went off. Magnússon inspires zero confidence. Very worrying at CB. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I thought Brownhill was terrible tonight. Couldn’t pass, had no thought process, made poor decisions. Very poor. 

I pretty much said this after the Norwich game. (Wouldn't say terrible  though)He seems to be struggling of late. With a fully fit squad and rotation he has probably played twice as many games as maybe he would. 

Also if it wasn't for the two half time injuries I would not have seen him finishing the 90.

Maybe Kent would have got a run on the left and Pato on the right. 

2 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

I pretty much said this after the Norwich game. (Wouldn't say terrible  though)He seems to be struggling of late. With a fully fit squad and rotation he has probably played twice as many games as maybe he would. 

Also if it wasn't for the two half time injuries I would not have seen him finishing the 90.

Said for a while now he looks knackered. 

Definitely needs a rest but think if COD was fit he’d be getting some rest. 

5 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Brownhill has been poor since he tinted his hair. No coincidence? 

Hmm... Everyone is saying that nothing went through the middle, but actually I think they just went round Pack. I'm not saying he had a bad game, just that his lack of mobility- something he's done a great job compensating for this season- was a bit exposed. I still prefer Brownhill and Smith in the middle and when Walsh is up to speed I suspect he'll move ahead of him in the pecking order too

Tin hat on...

I'd also say that Brownhill wasn't great tonight either, but he's not playing centre mid

Hes a strange one for me Pack, i want to warm to him but i just cant. Its this very unnerving feeling you get once he is in possession that he always seems to be teetering on the edge of giving the ball away very often in a dangerous position. Granted a lot of our play goes through him and he never shys away from the ball i will applaud him for that but for me i will stick my neck on the line and say we can do better..

I don't dislike Pack, but if others want him he should be encouraged to leave.

Great attitude, able to hit a quality ball, not without talent (depending upon the level to which one aspires.) 

Oh; but he's slow ( very slow,) his positioning leaves much to be desired (when he gets caught out boy does he get caught out,)  he's Mr Wilkins-  mostly lateral and back (not a criticism if that's the only option though in his case it's usually the go to, ) but to his credit he's  an excellent team ethic.

Pack served us well in the third tier and to getting us where we are today. If we wish to push on it won't be with him as a major player but hey, thanks Marlon and best wishes for ventures new.

Marlon has always been a key player, compliments Korey, different players but work very well together.

Its no coincidence when these two are on form we play well, class acts.

Have to agree Brownhill was poor, unusually, needs a rest, Mags gave the ball away to easy and was poor tonight.

With Smith,Pack,Brownhill and Owdowda coming back from injury cannot see where Walsh and Kent will fit in, not to mention Eliason 

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Great attitude, able to hit a quality ball, not without talent (depending upon the level to which one aspires.) 

Oh; but he's slow ( very slow,), his positioning leaves much to be desired (when he gets caught out boy does he get caught out,)  he's Mr Wilkins-  mostly lateral and back (not a criticism if that's the only option though in his case it's usually the go to, ) but to his credit he's  an excellent team ethic.

Pack served us well in the third tier and to getting us wherever are today. If we wish to push on it won't be with him as a major player but hey, thanks Marlon and best wishes for ventures new.

Its this for me. His pace in everything he does is really below par.. people may say 'if only' he has a yard more pace.. pace and speed is so so crucial in todays game its an absolute must.

As you said if others want to take a punt on him then good luck, i think we can improve on him for certain.

30 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Oh; but he's slow ( very slow,) his positioning leaves much to be desired (when he gets caught out boy does he get caught out,)  he's Mr Wilkins-  mostly lateral and back (not a criticism if that's the only option though in his case it's usually the go to, ) but to his credit he's  an excellent team ethic.

Pack served us well in the third tier and to getting us where we are today. If we wish to push on it won't be with him as a major player but hey, thanks Marlon and best wishes for ventures new.

I think that’s an inaccurate asesssment of his game, and the level he plays at most weeks. He is a big influence on the way we play.  He is a player we miss when he doesn’t play, that screen in front of the two CBs, the always available to take a pass to avoid a lumped ball forward.  There are very few midfielders at this level who aren’t gonna have weaknesses...the ones that don’t quickly find themselves at a Prem team.  This guy has adapted his game from a talented ball playing youngster at Cheltenham in L2, through several development cycles to a very accomplished Championship deep midfielder.  I wouldn’t look at Derby’s two CMs tonight, ex-England international (and still in his prime) Huddlestone and highly rated George Thorne, and think, eff me, they’re head and shoulders better than our two, in fact our two looked the better pairing, and influenced the game more.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I agree. I actually think he was below par tonight. I think when everyone is fit, and the new players have settled in, pack won't be in the side. Johnson prefers Josh alongside Korey.

No way.  Nothing lower than 7/10, and par is a 6.

I’m not sure LJ does prefer Josh and Korey, I think he realises he’s got 3 CMs that all offer different qualities, and he can pick horses for courses.

Of course Marlon had some iffy moments tonight’s, every player on both sides did, but overall he had a very tidy game.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There are very few midfielders at this level who aren’t gonna have weaknesses...

Exactly, we're punting at the top of The Championship and Pack, both physically and metaphorically, has run out of oxygen. If we are to progress we need mids who have fewer weaknesses than Marlon; those who have pace, are more creatively minded, don't lose focus et al. Pack isn't a bad player, rather he's quite good. His problem is he isn't top level good, and next step that's what's demanded and that which we need.

Watch again tonight's game and focus on his positioning and you'll see where I'm coming from.

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Exactly, we're punting at the top of The Championship and Pack, both physically and metaphorically, has run out of oxygen. If we are to progress we need mids who have fewer weaknesses than Marlon; those who have pace, are more creatively minded, don't lose focus et al. Pack isn't a bad player, rather he's quite good. His problem is he isn't top level good, and next step that's what's demanded and that which we need.

Watch again tonight's game and focus on his positioning and you'll see where I'm coming from.

I get what you’re saying about pushing on....and you’re probably right.  However, Marlon has proved us wrong every time we’ve said he’s reached his ceiling.  If the next level means the Prem, then we’ve probably got a huge overhaul to make!

Just read through some more of the comments on this thread and some of them are absolutely ludicrous. Pack isn't good enough because he doesn't have an engine or pace? I suppose The likes of Pirlo and Carrick weren't top level either then. Everything we do goes through Pack, he is good in the air, and he always wants the ball. IMO fans that don't like Pack don't know football as every team needs a Marlon Pack and in the championship I can't think of to many that do that role aswel as Pack. Not all midfielders need to be box to box and chip in with goals. Rant over 

Been singing his praises since the day he joined. Glad the majority are now beginning to realise he isn’t “Hollywood passes” or “just backwards and sideways”

If he was Spanish/German people would be saying how classy and elegant he is on the pitch. 

Really cares about the club and the city too. Extremely lucky to have him. 

9 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Sorry mate but what a load of shit. 

He should be encouraged to leave? Seriously?

:facepalm:

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Been singing his praises since the day he joined. Glad the majority are now beginning to realise he isn’t “Hollywood passes” or “just backwards and sideways”

If he was Spanish/German people would be saying how classy and elegant he is on the pitch. 

Really cares about the club and the city too. Extremely lucky to have him. 

In fairness, those early days under SOD weren’t that glorious.  All he did was give away needless fouls, was so frustrating.  It was a very different Pack to the exciting player I saw a few times at Cheltenham.  Then under Cotts he had to bide his time.  The goal at Coventry was the kick-start, eventually displaying Wade.  But at each juncture, he’s upped his game and proved to be more than capable in a top half side.  I think that shows someone who has desire to improve and adapt.  Good pro.  Well done Marlon.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness, those early days under SOD weren’t that glorious.  All he did was give away needless fouls, was so frustrating.  It was a very different Pack to the exciting player I saw a few times at Cheltenham.  Then under Cotts he had to bide his time.  The goal at Coventry was the kick-start, eventually displaying Wade.  But at each juncture, he’s upped his game and proved to be more than capable in a top half side.  I think that shows someone who has desire to improve and adapt.  Good pro.  Well done Marlon.

The other thing is that because he had no pace to begin with - it means he hasn’t got much to lose!

If he stays injury free he’ll play at a good level for maybe even another 9-10 years if he wants. I’m certain he’ll play in the prem soon, hopefully with us.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The other thing is that because he had no pace to begin with - it means he hasn’t got much to lose!

If he stays injury free he’ll play at a good level for maybe even another 9-10 years if he wants. I’m certain he’ll play in the prem soon, hopefully with us.

He’d certainly be in my top 5 current players that I would want to see playing in the Premiership with us. The stuff dreams are made of. Make it happen.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Has improved substantially and IMHO far more effective doing what he does now as central point in a short passing interplay game than trying to act as a quarterback

His passing has IMHO become shorter and I like that he will like a few of them pop it off first time

Also like that he is willing to  take the ball under pressure ( Although he occasionally gets caught)- a big asset to have players who will take the ball under pressure

Many good things but being picky my remaining concern about him is how many times his man runs off him causing danger - 2 or 3 of their better moments last night involved Derby players running off / losing Marlon

Archived