IGNORED

What a difference with mobile target man.

barneyrubble

So pleased to see Fammy back and looking really fit if a little rusty.Ran hard caused there defence lots of problems and improved bobys performance hugely.One point when he lost the ball up front chased right back to our own area to try to win ball back.If he stays fit could be the making of our season.Wouldn't play him Tuesday get him rested and fitter for league.

Both Famara and Djuric have been sorely missed, more so than any other injured player.

Without either if them LJ has had to send Flint up top at times which obviously altered the formation of the team.

Like others I was delighted to see him back. We've missed that physical presence as a partner to Bobby Reid who looked even better with another striker giving the opposition defence something else to cope with.

The 45 mins he had last night will have helped remove some of the rust.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Both Famara and Djuric have been sorely missed, more so than any other injured player.

Without either if them LJ has had to send Flint up top at times which obviously altered the formation of the team.

Like others I was delighted to see him back. We've missed that physical presence as a partner to Bobby Reid who looked even better with another striker giving the opposition defence something else to cope with.

Spot on Robbored, they are both big players for us, both metaphorically and actually. Bobby has had to adapt in their absence and he has had little support up front. Their return from injury, along with others, will be a real boost as we reach the ‘business end of the season’.

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Honestly not trying to be provocative here Robbo, but out of interest have you modified your view about big centre forwards like Famara and Milan? I seem to recall a protracted debate on OTIB about this issue, when you were rather against the signing of this type of player, sometimes referred to as “target men”, on the grounds that it encourages a tendency toward “hoofball”.

A lot of you won’t agree but I’m still not sure on Famara. He was a presence yes but he gave the ball away numerous times after doing the hard bit right, he just needs to be a more composed.

Hopefully a few games will settle him back in.

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

A lot of you won’t agree but I’m still not sure on Famara. He was a presence yes but he gave the ball away numerous times after doing the hard bit right, he just needs to be a more composed.

Hopefully a few games will settle him back in.

That lack of composure is just down to match fitness.

Famara isn’t ever going to be graceful on the ball like Reid or Paterson but you could see how his presence unsettled their defence and bought the best out of Reid.

Fammy did excellent last night no question, I'd also forgotten some of his intelligent support play, great to see him back.

Keen to see a fully fit Djuric one day though (don't think he's ever been fully fit since we signed him)  With everything repaired, stitched, running at full speed, jumping to maximum height, could be the run in boost we need.

3 minutes ago, Float'n Over said:

Fammy did excellent last night no question, I'd also forgotten some of his intelligent support play, great to see him back.

Keen to see a fully fit Djuric one day though (don't think he's ever been fully fit since we signed him)  With everything repaired, stitched, running at full speed, jumping to maximum height, could be the run in boost we need.

I think Djúric has been properly fit for about 2 games and although we all know how good in the air he is, I think most of thought that although he works hard he was a bit immobile.  However in those two game I saw someone who looked sharp and very good as a result.  Let’s hope we can get him back.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think Djúric has been properly fit for about 2 games and although we all know how good in the air he is, I think most of thought that although he works hard he was a bit immobile.  However in those two game I saw someone who looked sharp and very good as a result.  Let’s hope we can get him back.

Good job he’s not fit in a way because otherwise Chelsea might give him a call!

12 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Honestly not trying to be provocative here Robbo, but out of interest have you modified your view about big centre forwards like Famara and Milan? I seem to recall a protracted debate on OTIB about this issue, when you were rather against the signing of this type of player, sometimes referred to as “target men”, on the grounds that it encourages a tendency toward “hoofball”.

Good question CC

My attitude to "hoofball" remains as it's always been - percentages are so low that it's simply an easy way of losing possession. Not only that but it's dreadful to watch.

Im glad to say that LJ seems to agree with me and I was really impressed when he took Djuric off at half time not so long ago  during an away game and explained post match that it wasn't Milans performance that led to him being replaced but it was because the defence in particular had been lumping the ball upto him and LJ wanted to remove the option and had I been in his company when he said he'd have got a man hug!

Famara is not employed as a 'target man' but as a physical presence and we saw last night what a difference that made.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good question CC

My attitude to "hoofball" remains as it's always been - percentages are so low that it's simply an easy way of losing possession. Not only that but it's dreadful to watch.

Im glad to say that LJ seems to agree with me and I was really impressed when he took Djuric off at half time not so long ago  during an away game and explained post match that it wasn't Milans performance that led to him being replaced but it was because the defence in particular had been lumping the ball upto him and LJ wanted to remove the option and had I been in his company when he said he'd have got a man hug!

Famara is not employed as a 'target man' but as a physical presence and we saw last night what a difference that made.

Agree.  

In Diedhiou’s case just because he’s 6’3" people think target man....a slightly out of date term in today’s world.  Diedhiou is a multi-faceted striker who can play various ways and contribute effectively.

1 hour ago, tommy32 said:

Abso bloody loutley. Great to see him back and  I think along with Pisano the player we have missed most through injury. 

Agree totally . His contribution despite short on fitness was outstanding against a top team . The first 20 mins of second half we were 100% on top and Keogh and Curtis Davies were flaky . It was a big shout by LJ bringing FD on but IMO it worked . When Fammy gets match fit , we are going to be some force with Bobby able to find the spaces. All round a good night up there . Just as a PS another great effort from 543 City fans who made their presence felt all game . Good times . COYR 

Great to have Fammy back and with the other injured players returning we will have options aplenty.

Let's not forget though how well we have often done with Bobby and Jamie dovetailing. We have given plenty of teams problems by playing with two so called false nines.

Lee has introduced a modern style that I have never seen from a City side before and is clearly widely admired for his approach these days.

Much to be proud of and look forward to.:chant6ez:

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Great to have Fammy back and with the other injured players returning we will have options aplenty.

Let's not forget though how well we have often done with Bobby and Jamie dovetailing. We have given plenty of teams problems by playing with two so called false nines.

Lee has introduced a modern style that I have never seen from a City side before and is clearly widely admired for his approach these days.

Much to be proud of and look forward to.:chant6ez:

Yes , agree . Lot of positives . Sometimes our playing out of defence can be nerve racking but last night it was composed , calm and frustrated the likes of russell and Vydra . Lot of post on last night ref Magnússon . For me , first half at LB an assured performance and good up field deliveries . Clearly nervous at CH in second half but for me he is growing into an essential part of the set up . Flint was immense last night as was Bailey Wright . I left Pride Park with optimism . 

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Famara- like the big nasty bloke who pushes to the front of the queue which you've been waiting in for ages and gets served straight away.

Bobby- like the annoying little wasp in the pub garden who just won't leave you alone, constantly in your face and can sting at any moment.

Nice combo.

What about hornets ? Where do they fit in ? 

The whole idea of a big donkey up front is bisarre. Play the long ball 40 cm lower (is it possible if you only earn £10,000 a week? This is England so probably not). A true footballer like Bobby Reid can then handle the long ball rubbish. His technique is international class. A truly magnificent first touch. Diedhiou & Woodrow can be usefull on long balls in to the box. That's it.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Good question CCM

I agree totally, many here have the view that Fam is a target man, he's not.  He does not play a lot with his back to goal, and his hold up play and close control is not that of a 'target man' .  The ball does not 'stick' to him when played up front, like it does with MD. 

The difference when we play with Fam is a foil for Bobby and his strength and running makes a difference.  When (if) we get a fit MD back it will be interesting to see if we play all three with BR behind MD and FD.  The chap at PNE who we have been linked with is another proper target man, better than MD ?  For that reason I will be surprised if we add another striker before the window shuts. 

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I agree totally, many here have the view that Fam is a target man, he's not.  He does not play a lot with his back to goal, and his hold up play and close control is not that of a 'target man' .  The ball does not 'stick' to him when played up front, like it does with MD. 

The difference when we play with Fam is a foil for Bobby and his strength and running makes a difference.  When (if) we get a fit MD back it will be interesting to see if we play all three with BR behind MD and FD.  The chap at PNE who we have been linked with is another proper target man, better than MD ?  For that reason I will be surprised if we add another striker before the window shuts. 

Hugill is not a target man like Djúric, but much more like Diedhiou, a footballing, mobile ‘big man’.

Archived