IGNORED

What we’re up against...

Fordy62

The race for second is going to be very hard. Probably a little beyond us if I’m being truthful. 

Anyone who disagrees might like to look at last night...

In the 76th minute, Rowett took off Lawrence, Vydra & Nugent. 

And replaced them with Jerome, Weimann & Winnall. 

Talk about an embarrassment of riches. 

We know that Villa are similarly star studded. And Wolves are just ridiculous. 

Top 6 would be absolutely excellent. But I’m just pleased we’re operating as an effective unit. The whole team is playing better than the sum of its parts. That’s all I ever wanted from LJ.

Things are looking good. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

The race for second is going to be very hard. Probably a little beyond us if I’m being truthful. 

Top 6 would be absolutely excellent. But I’m just pleased we’re operating as an effective unit. The whole team is playing better than the sum of its parts. That’s all I ever wanted from LJ.

Things are looking good. 

Good post Fordy

Unbelivable experience and ‘ pedigree ‘ in their side / squad yet we went toe to toe and gave them a very good contest

Watched it a second time ((Less stressful and easier to watch carefully !) and we played well and look a well coached , collective side

We could just do with that ruthless cutting edge at times , but we are a good side, and very pleasing in the eye

Derby and Villas squads should see one of them get a top two and we are punching above our weight with resources available so who knows what’s to come

Cant see top two personally but a play off place would be a remarkable achievement IMHO

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Things are looking good. 

Fordy .

Strong Derby bench for sure and clearly that will stand them in good stead . Notwithstanding that , our collective strength , way of playing and organised around a rock like spine of Fielding , Flint, Smith and Bryan is arguably stronger than Derby . Last night , some Derby commitment was questionable ( Huudlestone , Vydra , Thorne ) and our team work and energy wore them down . The media focus on the game ( 5 live ) " Derby controversially denied penalty as they fail to beat BCFC" typically isolating what they saw as the pivotal moment in the game , whereas over the 90 minutes , City more than matched their " illustrious " opponents and IMO played more sophisticated football than them . " Sum of parts " is spot on and has in the past got success for less fancied teams . There are many to quote I am sure but Cloughs Forest come to mind with their spine of Shilton , Lloyd , O'Neill and Birtles . As you say , it is great times for BCFC especially compared to how we have improved since last season . 

Couldn’t agree more.

And that’s probably why many pundits (as discussed in the other thread) are ‘writing us off’ this year.

To be honest, I’m more than happy with that. I think we’ll do better as plucky underdogs, whereas the last few weeks we’ve become a bit of a target, a scalp. Always tough being favourites, let’s go back to underdogs and ruffle some more feathers.

As I mentioned on another thread LJ is planning not for promotion this season but when we are no longer, in his words, a work in progress.  Of course if promotion comes, whilst following the five pillars, so be it.

Given we aren't, for whatever reason, going to buy ourselves out of the league we have to exercise patience

I have argued before that I disagree with this strategy, but I think I have been wrong as our promotion to this league came sooner than the stated timetable, and it very nearly went very wrong, and the signing and loan this month shows the club are moving forward according to the declared policy. 

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

As I mentioned on another thread LJ is planning not for promotion this season but when we are no longer, in his words, a work in progress.  Of course if promotion comes, whilst following the five pillars, so be it.

Given we aren't, for whatever reason, going to buy ourselves out of the league we have to exercise patience

I have argued before that I disagree with this strategy, but I think I have been wrong as our promotion to this league came sooner than the stated timetable, and it very nearly went very wrong, and the signing and loan this month shows the club are moving forward according to the declared policy. 

Wow - what’s have you done with @Ivorguy?!

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Couldn’t agree more.

And that’s probably why many pundits (as discussed in the other thread) are ‘writing us off’ this year.

To be honest, I’m more than happy with that. I think we’ll do better as plucky underdogs, whereas the last few weeks we’ve become a bit of a target, a scalp. Always tough being favourites, let’s go back to underdogs and ruffle some more feathers.

Yes it is interesting that the media still regard and describe us as " unfancied " BCFC but I wouldn't swap any of our players for any of theirs last night ( Tim hat on !) my argument being that the team work , support and creative way we play , our players are still learning and I think we have yet to see the best . There is no better back line than ours in the Championship . All the focus last night on the penalty but IMO Derby were poor and disjointed with some egos getting in the way , frustrated by our lads total commitment . We are not the finished article yet but keeping this squad together is essential . Chris Hughton ( excellent manager imo ) took 2 to 3 years to get Brighton promoted and did not spend the money which Wolves , Villa and Derby have . Nor did David Wagner at Hfield . These clubs are kind of our role models . 

26 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Things are looking good. 

Play offs would want Cardiff 

19 minutes ago, Redstreet said:

Fordy .

Strong Derby bench for sure and clearly that will stand them in good stead . Notwithstanding that , our collective strength , way of playing and organised around a rock like spine of Fielding , Flint, Smith and Bryan is arguably stronger than Derby . Last night , some Derby commitment was questionable ( Huudlestone , Vydra , Thorne ) and our team work and energy wore them down . The media focus on the game ( 5 live ) " Derby controversially denied penalty as they fail to beat BCFC" typically isolating what they saw as the pivotal moment in the game , whereas over the 90 minutes , City more than matched their " illustrious " opponents and IMO played more sophisticated football than them . " Sum of parts " is spot on and has in the past got success for less fancied teams . There are many to quote I am sure but Cloughs Forest come to mind with their spine of Shilton , Lloyd , O'Neill and Birtles . As you say , it is great times for BCFC especially compared to how we have improved since last season . 

Yep, just goes to show you can get a group of players together with a common purpose, work hard on a system (that you believe in - unlike multiple tinkerings last season), drill those players, etc...and ultimately be competitive in this division.  

There were several times last season where I thought the opposition were no better than us, but were better organised, more comfortable with their style ‘ system, and ultimately got the point / points.

We’ve become one of those teams this season, but because a couple of our players have now gone to the next level performance wise and the recruitment of Baker and Diedhiou, we’ve just given ourselves that little bit extra to move into the group of teams able to challenge for promotion.

I still make no bones about how tough / competitive this league is, but I think with the squad beginning to return we can stay in the top 6.

8 minutes ago, Redstreet said:

Yes it is interesting that the media still regard and describe us as " unfancied " BCFC but I wouldn't swap any of our players for any of theirs last night ( Tim hat on !) my argument being that the team work , support and creative way we play , our players are still learning and I think we have yet to see the best . There is no better back line than ours in the Championship . All the focus last night on the penalty but IMO Derby were poor and disjointed with some egos getting in the way , frustrated by our lads total commitment . We are not the finished article yet but keeping this squad together is essential . Chris Hughton ( excellent manager imo ) took 2 to 3 years to get Brighton promoted and did not spend the money which Wolves , Villa and Derby have . Nor did David Wagner at Hfield . These clubs are kind of our role models . 

This is possibly because we’ve recruited for our system / style, rather than just throw players at it....which is a bit what we did in January last year.

LJ has gone back to his principles (that trusty old PowerPoint deck!) and now knows how to recruit towards that.  Not everyone will come off.  I know LJ has said that he thinks Barry Bannon us one if the best MFs in the division, but I wonder if he questions how he’d fit in, if he were available.  I’d like to think so, unless he thinks he changes to fit Bannon...which would be risky.

Of course not all signings will pay off, and some ‘ready now’ might need a period of adjustment.  No crystal ball ahead of last night, but he knew that Derby would be tough and went back to his trusted fit-11, despite many hoping / expecting Kent and Walsh to start.

Lets hope we get back to winning ways on Saturday (and Tuesday) and build another ‘run’ of results.

We still have a crack at 2nd though.

Everyone else still must play Wolves. As for Derby, they must still travel to Villa as well as the aforementioned Wolves game. Will be a lot of twists and turns in coming months...

Wolves will win title but 2nd? Honestly could not call. Let's not forget Pisano, O'Dowda, Djuric to return. Fammy to get up to speed and Walsh and Kent signings.

Those 2 will take a while... Joined mid season but I think they will be good for us.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We’re going to be playing Cardiff in the playoffs aren’t we. Just how these things pan out!

I said that to my Cardiff friends...would be absolute carnage.

However...I actually think Cardiff and Sheff Utd are going to fall away out of the play offs.

Norwich, Fulham and Brentford are my outsiders to get in the play offs...2 from those.

Us and Derby to join them in play offs.

Wolves and Villa to go up.

I was not impressed by the Derby strikers last night. Lawrence was poor, Nugent looks a finished force and Hydra had an off day. When the subs can in I was worried, but I hardly noticed Weimann or Winnal and Jeromes tactic seemed to consist of throwing himself at Flint to take him out of the game.

They will have better look against lesser teams, but the only attacking player worth his reputation was Jonny Russell as it often is.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was not impressed by the Derby strikers last night. Lawrence was poor, Nugent looks a finished force and Hydra had an off day. When the subs can in I was worried, but I hardly noticed Weimann or Winnal and Jeromes tactic seemed to consist of throwing himself at Flint to take him out of the game.

They will have better look against lesser teams, but the only attacking player worth his reputation was Jonny Russell as it often is.

Agree . Russell huffed and puffed but quite often his final ball was poor . Our defence made them look ordinary however 

Think we underestimate the quality we have in our squad. We must have the best set of central defenders outside the Prem and our midfield group are as goid as any in this league. With Famara back we now have a potent partner for Reid and with Pisano, COD, Duric, Hegeler and GON to come there will be few squads in this division as deep as ours. We have a serious chance of making top 6 and 2nd is still not yet beyond us with the games we have remaining. Very exciting times.

1 minute ago, Chairman Mao said:

Good thing is, next season our recruitment will be even easier. I feel as though that is when we can really attack the auto spots. 

I’d love promotion this season, automatic or play offs, but have a fear we might just miss out. If this happens I will be disappointed but not distraught, because next season will be when “the project” comes to fruition. We’re just a couple of signings away from a team that could win the league, as long as we can keep players such as Bryan and Flint in the summer 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good post Fordy

Unbelivable experience and ‘ pedigree ‘ in their side / squad yet we went toe to toe and gave them a very good contest

Watched it a second time ((Less stressful and easier to watch carefully !) and we played well and look a well coached , collective side

We could just do with that ruthless cutting edge at times , but we are a good side, and very pleasing in the eye

Derby and Villas squads should see one of them get a top two and we are punching above our weight with resources available so who knows what’s to come

Cant see top two personally but a play off place would be a remarkable achievement IMHOpreditor

yes agree if only we had a preditor like Tammy this year that would solve the puzzle

@Fordy62 , if you were Steve McLaren saying that you'd be shouted down, not going to make top 2 indeed :nono:

Seriously, we've been 2nd best in chances and scrapped for a draw and still managed to look the better side for spells, the passing was good but we ca.  I thought our bench actually looked like it could possibly change a game last night. Walsh,Kent, FD and even Engvall , we finally looked to have a little more strength in depth, as McLaren said injuries have killed us and could kill us. Baker has a history of going off and being ok the next game, so fingers crossed, and FF with luck might not bee long term. With Pisano , Djuric and even ONeil and Hegeler for options we could even do with a fir Lucic if FF is out for any time.  As you say even with that full squad (and I think it gives us a great chance to compete during the run in) , we are still a way off the strength of Wolves, Derby and Villa.  

@BobBobSuperBob totally agree with needing a cutting edge. I'm hoping that FD coming back goes some way in supplying that. We have done amazingly just to still be in touch. Bobby is not a line leading forward, but he has been brilliant playing just off the striker, even when he's the only one there. The movement from midfield in supporting the attack has been chalk and cheese from last year. FD playing will hopefully give Bobby the room to start causing panic in the box again and start scoring regularly again.
I would love to add a really quick striker, but have a feeling the man we're after may be a FB.

My theory in the play offs, we beat Villa over 2 legs and we play Cardiff in the final....... what could possibly go wrong 

11 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Good thing is, next season our recruitment will be even easier. I feel as though that is when we can really attack the auto spots. 

I have a real concern that missing out on promotion will cost us 3 or more players. I know that's the way of the game, but trying to replace the likes of Flint,Bryan and Reid would be difficult. Even if we went up , I can see Flint going for a last payday. It will be difficult fending off a top 10 Prem side if they come in for someone. 
Agree that we are suddenly a far more interesting prospect for players, hopefully more young Prem academy players will want to come to actually play football , this season has been brilliant in raising our profile .

an abundance of riches in all  but we have played them all twice ,we do not need to worry about them other teams do.

it will not be all about how we do ,lots of it will be how they do against each other.

we just need to keep picking up points from teams outside the dog fight and hope they all keep each others totals down

More clubs are gambling big money on promotion and I can see that number increasing as clubs are bought by foreign owners (ones that actually have money!). We just might not get a better chance.

Having said that I am very happy being a competitive club in league where half the clubs could be described as big: Derby, Forest, Leeds, Villa, Sunderland, Boro two Sheffield’s and others of a similar size or slightly bigger: Norwich, Ipswich, QPR, Reading, Hull, Fulham, Birmingham, Bolton.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Us and Derby to join them in play offs.

Wolves and Villa to go up.

Reading through the match day thread on the Derby forum, several think Villa will go up with Wolves. One or two think they could face us in the playoffs and wouldn't fancy their chances.

Long way to go, but personally if it did happen I'd fancy our chances against Derby rather than Cardiff. 

I think Warnock might have a score to settle in a playoff against us!

39 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Think we underestimate the quality we have in our squad. We must have the best set of central defenders outside the Prem and our midfield group are as goid as any in this league. With Famara back we now have a potent partner for Reid and with Pisano, COD, Duric, Hegeler and GON to come there will be few squads in this division as deep as ours. We have a serious chance of making top 6 and 2nd is still not yet beyond us with the games we have remaining. Very exciting times.

Wolves clearly a cut above the rest tbh.

Highlighting too importance of how money is spent. Wolves and Villa both spent a lot...Villa spent a lot 16/17 and Wolves this year. Wolves spent much better.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Things are looking good. 

You mean the same side that has taken 1pt from 6 against us ?

We would have been above them without injuries.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Things are looking good. 

Tend to agree but once we have dispatched Man City out of the Cup then we have some very winnable fixtures against mid & lower table sides.  I know all of these will be difficult games but I have this feeling that our wheels will get attached to the wagon again. Only takes 2 or 3 wins and other results going our way and we are well and truly in the mix again. Exciting few weeks ahead.

Archived