IGNORED

Was it a penalty

Redmycolour

2 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Deffo Yes,  I hat to say it against the boys in RED, think ref made a big mistake,  

First reaction, because of the meal that Jerome made of it, NO.

Having seen the replay, **** YES!!

Random!

Of course it was, although initial reaction was that he’d dived. 

Ref didn’t have VAR and if Jerome had not dramatised it as he did, he’d probably have got one. 

There’s been a few we’ve not been given this season. 

It happened right infront of us at the game last night. Immediate thought was I’ve seen them given for less but the Derby player over did the dive to ensure he got it and made the Ref believe otherwise. I haven’t seen a replay yet but MrRedM who watched it at home said that Flint reaction thought he had given away a pen. Also the talk on the coach travelling home last night was that Flint was fouled in the build up to the incident so we should have had a free kick anyway.

Although Flints clearly catches him, perhaps the contact was not sufficient to cause him to trip so the exaggerated dying swan fall. I blame the belief fostered by the likes of Shearer, that if you feel contact you are entitled to go down. This I thing is wrong and not in the spirt of the game as to when you are actually fouled and therefore cannot stay on your feet, every little bit of contact is not necessarily a foul. 

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Although Flints clearly catches him, perhaps the contact was not sufficient to cause him to trip so the exaggerated dying swan fall. I blame the belief fostered by the likes of Shearer, that if you feel contact you are entitled to go down. This I thing is wrong and not in the spirt of the game as to when you are actually fouled and therefore cannot stay on your feet, every little bit of contact is not necessarily a foul. 

I totally agree. The idea that you are entitled to 'go down' needs to be consigned to the bin. If your tripped you fall over, not leap into the air like superman taking off FFS.

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Exactly. When Shearer can show me the bit in the rulebook that says a player is entitled to go down I'll start listening to his views. 

1 minute ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Big screen in Pride Park showed replays of all the controversial incidents pretty much immediately. I didn't think that was allowed. 

It’s not allowed. Not sure what repercussions that will be for it though. 

2 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Big screen in Pride Park showed replays of all the controversial incidents pretty much immediately. I didn't think that was allowed. 

Exactly my thoughts. Idiotic at best. You could tell LJ wasn't happy about that. 

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

It happened right infront of us at the game last night. Immediate thought was I’ve seen them given for less but the Derby player over did the dive to ensure he got it and made the Ref believe otherwise. I haven’t seen a replay yet but MrRedM who watched it at home said that Flint reaction thought he had given away a pen. Also the talk on the coach travelling home last night was that Flint was fouled in the build up to the incident so we should have had a free kick anyway.

He didn't pick the ball up this time!

I think this is the way refs should go. More benefit to the defender.

Whether a foul or not if he dives like that he risks not getting the decision.

Fans will blame the ref, but put more onus on the player.

Jerome should be sat at home thinking “we could have got a penalty if I hadn’t been such a knob”

Obviously the ref may still have missed the foul but maybe not. We don’t know how much of his attention was taken away by the exaggerated reaction. As mine was.

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Exactly my thoughts. Idiotic at best. You could tell LJ wasn't happy about that. 

Just spotted this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42657767

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson:

"I'll be honest, live, I did think it was a dive, and then I looked up to my left where the replay was on, which shouldn't have been legal to do so by the rules - it could have started a riot particularly in the technical area.

"But I did then think it looked like a penalty on the replay.

Being not far from the 'penalty' my first reaction was "massive dive so likely not a penalty".

Ref was in a similar line, & probably had the same reaction. They've specifically been told to keep an eye out for this.

Subsequent replays showed contact.

If I was a Derby fan (I know enough living there) rather than venting anger against the ref who was following the letter of the law, I'd be moaning at the forward for making a meal of it.

3 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Being not far from the 'penalty' my first reaction was "massive dive so likely not a penalty".

Ref was in a similar line, & probably had the same reaction. They've specifically been told to keep an eye out for this.

Subsequent replays showed contact.

If I was a Derby fan (I know enough living there) rather than venting anger against the ref who was following the letter of the law, I'd be moaning at the forward for making a meal of it.

spot on finbarr! Is there a guideline to refs though, don't give a pen if you see simulation? Fair play to the officials if there is.

6 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Just spotted this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42657767

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson:

"I'll be honest, live, I did think it was a dive, and then I looked up to my left where the replay was on, which shouldn't have been legal to do so by the rules - it could have started a riot particularly in the technical area.

"But I did then think it looked like a penalty on the replay.

This was commented on last night as well. Derby had their own VAR in place by showing the game on their screen and all the replays of incidents ( the Sky feed) they even showed the studio discussion at HT, never seen that before. I was under the impression that contentious issues couldn’t be shown during the game?

Archived