IGNORED

Baadiff........massive club?

slartibartfast

personally think we're more similar to Cardiff than people care to think: both teams can pull great home and away support at times, and both sides have a section of support that vanishes at others. There's plenty of other similarities as well when you use history as the marker. Any idea of superiority (either coming from us or from them for that matter) is a little misguided. Don't get me wrong, I bloody hate Cardiff, but always respected them. As a rival and a club  I've certainly got more time for them than the tinpot gas. 

31 minutes ago, Keyardiv said:

You're 12th and we're 13th in the attendance table. Similar mid-size clubs really.

Our attendances have dropped a lot in the last couple of seasons, but in our previous 5 seasons in The Championship we had an average higher than yours so far this season, which is your highest for nearly 40 years. Nothing to get excited about, there are far bigger clubs in The Championship than both of us.

Think the issue is more with the describing of Cardiff as a MASSIVE CLUB.

9 hours ago, poland_exile said:

personally think we're more similar to Cardiff than people care to think: both teams can pull great home and away support at times, and both sides have a section of support that vanishes at others. There's plenty of other similarities as well when you use history as the marker. Any idea of superiority (either coming from us or from them for that matter) is a little misguided. Don't get me wrong, I bloody hate Cardiff, but always respected them. As a rival and a club  I've certainly got more time for them than the tinpot gas. 

I have absolutely no respect for them at all. Lapped up the rebrand with open arms and only objected in meaningful numbers when the dreamed turned sour. Shameful.

10 hours ago, Keyardiv said:

You're 12th and we're 13th in the attendance table. Similar mid-size clubs really.

Our attendances have dropped a lot in the last couple of seasons, but in our previous 5 seasons in The Championship we had an average higher than yours so far this season, which is your highest for nearly 40 years. Nothing to get excited about, there are far bigger clubs in The Championship than both of us.

The difference is we’ve been competing at the bottom end of the Championship during that time; you’ve largely been near the top. Now we’re directly comparable. In our last 10 games, we’ve surpassed 20k eight times. You’ve managed it just once. And your figures are skewed by the Leeds game, where you could bring friends for a fiver.

Not to mention that fact that you’re a one-club City - so really you attendances should be rivalling City and Rovers combined (around 30k) - but they’re nowhere near.

Cardiff can get a bigger crowd than us when things are going well - the history and stats show this; they can also get a smaller crowd than us when things are not going well - as their history and stats also reveal.

I'd rather be us than them on this.

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

It already has! Check the stats from the 80s that @Jarman posted. We went from 19,000 average to 5,000 in three seasons - uncomfortable reading :( 

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bric.htm

Everton went from 49k in the early 70s to 19k in 1984. Chelsea as low as 12k in 1983. Newcastle 16k in 1981. The list goes on. Football was being deserted across the nation in the 1980s. And Cardiff City was being deserted more than most, check their stats.

41 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The difference is we’ve been competing at the bottom end of the Championship during that time; you’ve largely been near the top. Now we’re directly comparable. In our last 10 games, we’ve surpassed 20k eight times. You’ve managed it just once. And your figures are skewed by the Leeds game, where you could bring friends for a fiver.

Not to mention that fact that you’re a one-club City - so really you attendances should be rivalling City and Rovers combined (around 30k) - but they’re nowhere near.

There`s more to it than that too - they`re a two club country as well. Anyone living in South Wales ought to support them or Swansea.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This for me is the crucial point. If Rovers wernt around (what a perfect world that would be?) straight away your adding another 5/6 k on our average, probably more as we know the sags on there day can pull out 9/10 k home gates if doing well.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I have absolutely no respect for them at all. Lapped up the rebrand with open arms and only objected in meaningful numbers when the dreamed turned sour. Shameful.

I'm not sure how many did lap up the re-brand. I was under the impression they lost a lot of their traditional core support because of this but those they lost were replaced with newbie 'customers'. Might be totally wrong, but that's what I've been led to believe! 

13 hours ago, Keyardiv said:

Yeah but nobody is sayiing we are a massive club .

2 hours ago, Sergio Georgini said:

In our defence though attendances for every club in the 80s were at an all time low.

I can't dispute that, but then look at the 90s as well - christ, there was one season in the mid-90s when we just about managed an average of 7,000.

We should know better than willy wave over attendances, especially as this thread comes just a cpl of days after we're all moaning how few we took to Derby! 

Don't get me wrong, this isn't meant as a criticism of our own fan base - I'm immensely proud to be city and think we've got a brilliant set of followers. but I'm also greatly appreciative of having the severnside derby; though it's been diluted thanks to the efforts of the police and the effects of modern football in general, this is an almost unique cross-country derby that you can really get your teeth in. But I think it takes two to tango - if we weren't so similar then I think it wouldn't have the same importance! 

2 hours ago, poland_exile said:

I'm not sure how many did lap up the re-brand. I was under the impression they lost a lot of their traditional core support because of this but those they lost were replaced with newbie 'customers'. Might be totally wrong, but that's what I've been led to believe! 

You’ll struggle to convince me that they were suddenly able to fill a 30k stadium with newbie fans and that none of the supporters seen here were coming before the rebrand.

6091E63C-CF98-43F2-8F7B-89DA8740C8D7.jpeg

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’ll struggle to convince me that they were suddenly able to fill a 30k stadium with newbie fans and that none of the supporters seen here were coming before the rebrand.

6091E63C-CF98-43F2-8F7B-89DA8740C8D7.jpeg

Hahah brilliant. Stupid welsh ***** :yes:

4 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Looks like a list of massive clubs in Europe to me, and I'd probably want to add Juve to that list

Indeed.

Im sure I read somewhere that Flemengo have more 30 million supporters in Brazil.

Boca Juniors and River Plate would also be up there.

Archived