IGNORED

Fizzy drink delivery

54-46

Need some help in settling a family discussion

Does anyone remember the name of the firm that used to deliver fizzy drinks on flat bed trucks back in the late 70s?

My sis reckons it was Corona but my brother in law and myself think it was Alpine. Not sure if different parts of Bristol had different deliveries but we were Whitchurch / Knowle West

Cheers

Remember the Tizer delivery lorry? 

Tizer (the appetiser)  ... bottles had threaded bung stoppers with rubber ring seals, bungs were made of a black Bakelite/plastic like material. 

(Tizer factory used to be in Kingswood) 

Alpine deliveries came much later, hugely popular for a few years then they seemed to disappear as quickly as they had appeared. 

Who used to make their own with those awful (first generation) Soda Stream machine mixers? (about mid/late 70's I think) 

Thinking of street door to door deliveries from yesteryear........

We all remember 'the milkman' of course.... but we had so many other regular 'door-knockers' back in the day....

The... Breadman/Baker .. Butcher meat deliveries .. The Coalman .. The Esso Blue/Pink Paraffin man (for the paraffin heater, those were the days, remember the 'chimney' and trimming the tube like round wicks?) ... The Rent Man , The Insurance Man, The Weekly 'Loan' man ..  I'm sure there were more.... For a time I remember we used to get the 'Fish n Chips' delivery van (all deep fried and cooked on the vehicle,  (where was the Health & Safety brigade then?.. imagine a gurt big van trundling down your street with greasy steam streaming out of a chimney/flue on it's roof and a few gallons of boiling hot cooking oil sloshing about in the fryers in the back behind the driver/cook/server! nowadays ...:shocking: )   

Then there was the 'travelling salesmen' who turned up now and again to demo the latest must-have vacuum cleaners... not to forget the Kleen-Ezy & Betterware catalogues and sellers, Avon ladies etc etc....

There must be more you can remember, who used to deliver in your street or knock on the door... (even the friendly (sometimes nuisance) neighbours who used to pop around to borrow a cup of sugar/ milk, shilling for the meter etc etc... That reminds me, The Meter Man (gas / electric who came to read the meters and empty the cash boxes... & the excitement when a rebate was due and he left little piles of shillings on the stairs. We even had a rental TV with a cashbox fitted on the back, we had to feed that with sixpences! :laugh: to watch the telly and pay the monthly rental! 

Come on you Reds ... Who/what else can we remember from the 'good old days ' of door to door traders?  

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the 'rag n bone' man, who left bags in letterboxes for people to put old clothes etc in... or any old bikes metal etc... (didn't realise at the time, but looking back I bet they were Gasheads!... Sometimes they'd turn up to flog 'lucky heather', clothes pegs, and even tell your fortune for half a crown! ) :laugh:.

8 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Tizer (the appetiser)  ... bottles had threaded bung stoppers with rubber ring seals, bungs were made of a black Bakelite/plastic like material. 

Alpine deliveries came much later, hugely popular for a few years then they seemed to disappear as quickly as they had appeared. 

Who used to make their own with those awful (first generation) Soda Stream machine mixers? (about mid/late 70's I think) 

We all remember 'the milkman' of course.... but we had so many other regular 'door-knockers' back in the day....

The... Breadman/Baker .. Butcher meat deliveries .. The Coalman .. The Esso Blue/Pink Paraffin man (for the paraffin heater, those were the days, remember the 'chimney' and trimming the tube like round wicks?) ... The Rent Man , The Insurance Man, The Weekly 'Loan' man ..  I'm sure there were more.... For a time I remember we used to get the 'Fish n Chips' delivery van (all deep fried and cooked on the vehicle,  (where was the Health & Safety brigade then?.. imagine a gurt big van trundling down your street with greasy steam streaming out of a chimney/flue on it's roof and a few gallons of boiling hot cooking oil sloshing about in the fryers in the back behind the driver/cook/server! nowadays ...:shocking: )   

Then there was the 'travelling salesmen' who turned up now and again to demo the latest must-have vacuum cleaners... not to forget the Kleen-Ezy & Betterware catalogues and sellers, Avon ladies etc etc....

There must be more you can remember, who used to deliver in your street or knock on the door... (even the friendly (sometimes nuisance) neighbours who used to pop around to borrow a cup of sugar/ milk, shilling for the meter etc etc... That reminds me, The Meter Man (gas / electric who came to read the meters and empty the cash boxes... & the excitement when a rebate was due and he left little piles of shillings on the stairs. We even had a rental TV with a cashbox fitted on the back, we had to feed that with sixpences! :laugh: to watch the telly and pay the monthly rental! 

Come on you Reds ... Who/what else can we remember from the 'good old days ' of door to door traders?  

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the 'rag n bone' man, who left bags in letterboxes for people to put old clothes etc in... or any old bikes metal etc... (didn't realise at the time, but looking back I bet they were Gasheads!... Sometimes they'd turn up to flog 'lucky heather', clothes pegs, and even tell your fortune for half a crown! ) :laugh:.

The Football Pools man

8 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Oh, and lets not forget Uncle Eric who called on a Tuesday evening to help Mum make the bed while Dad was at skittles

5 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Like the pic, but confusion continued when I found this one. I’m still sticking with Alpine!

A0FAB916-E85C-408F-BCB3-7D52B3767451.jpeg

I remember it being Alpine in BS4. You would put the empty bottles out with a note stuffed in the neck to say what flavours you wanted and the coins under the bottle. It was slightly cheaper if you purchased 3 bottles and it caused many a family argument as fizzy drinks were a rare treat. I was allowed one glass of squash a day and the rest of the time I had to drink water, and NO ONE drank water back in those days. I used to think my parents were mean but maybe they were just early adapters/trendsetters :laughcont:

20 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

F20DA7A8-485D-477D-89F3-DB527DD72133.jpeg

Cream Soda - bloody foul stuff....

Can just about remember the Corona/Cresta man. 

And the taste of Cream Soda still haunts me to this day. My Uncle & Aunt always had Cream Soda at their house and would make me drink it, even when it make me want to puke.

And my uncle wonders why we no longer speak. Fewk him the pr1ck. I'll never forgive or forget.

17 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

And the taste of Cream Soda still haunts me to this day. My Uncle & Aunt always had Cream Soda at their house and would make me drink it, even when it make me want to puke.

I used to actually enjoy Cream Soda as a kid! Tried some a few months back and couldn't believe I had ever drunk the stuff!

23 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

Corona in Glawster.

Used to go camping, and raid the depot....too much pop, and ended up chucking on the camp fire, so that they exploded.  Happy, kleptomaniac days.

Reminds me of when we used to raid the old Badger Beer depot in Taunton and nick all the part filled bottles that had been returned by the pubs as defective. I drunk some bloody foul stuff back then, I recall one night we lifted a full crate of Cherry B from there - why FFS!

On 21/01/2018 at 17:00, RedM said:

I remember it being Alpine in BS4. You would put the empty bottles out with a note stuffed in the neck to say what flavours you wanted and the coins under the bottle. It was slightly cheaper if you purchased 3 bottles and it caused many a family argument as fizzy drinks were a rare treat. I was allowed one glass of squash a day and the rest of the time I had to drink water, and NO ONE drank water back in those days. I used to think my parents were mean but maybe they were just early adapters/trendsetters :laughcont:

Yes, Alpine Soft Drinks Limited had a base on Bonville Road, Brislington Trading Estate with around 10 Bedford TK lorries going out 6 days a week.

BS4 was probably a Saturday round as they were half days and the rounds were kept local in order to finish early.

I left school in 1977 and my first job was as a Driver's Mate for them. First wage, just over £18. One guy could even carry a dozen bottle in his hand and under his arms !!!

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Yes, Alpine Soft Drinks Limited had a base on Bonville Road, Brislington Trading Estate with around 10 Bedford TK lorries going out 6 days a week.

BS4 was probably a Saturday round as they were half days and the rounds were kept local in order to finish early.

I left school in 1977 and my first job was as a Driver's Mate for them. First wage, just over £18.

*One guy could even carry a dozen bottle in his hand and under his arms !!!

*is it true that when he wore his 'special shorts' his party trick was to carry a thirteenth bottle ?  :blink:

On 21/01/2018 at 09:00, Juan Kerr said:

Dandelion and burdock.....that is the rinsings from Lucifer's ringpiece.

I had the Alpine Dandelion and Burdock once. Your description of this foul brew is accurate, sir. Indeed, I had a couple of swigs of it c.1978 and just your mention of it has temporarily returned the taste to my mouth now. I had two swigs as I couldn't believe the first swig I had, about an hour earlier, had tasted as awful as I had experienced. It had.

Btw, I was in Whitchurch in the 70s and I'm pretty sure Alpine came around at about 5-6 ish  on Fridays.

Archived