IGNORED

Fizzy drink delivery

54-46

4 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I had the Alpine Dandelion and Burdock once. Your description of this foul brew is accurate, sir. Indeed, I had a couple of swigs of it c.1978 and just your mention of it has temporarily returned the taste to my mouth now. I had two swigs as I couldn't believe the first swig I had, about an hour earlier, had tasted as awful as I had experienced. It had.

Btw, I was in Whitchurch in the 70s and I'm pretty sure Alpine came around at about 5-6 ish  on Fridays.

Yep, they had a light on the back of the cab in order to work in the dark. Some nights, the depot was still open at 7pm or later......waiting for the last lorry to come in, empty, reload and cash in.

There was a spare lorry used for covering breakdowns. It was a bugger when a lorry broke down out at Yate or Chipping Sodbury. You could be sat around for a few hours doing nothing and still have the round to complete by 5 or 6pm. The whole load had to be transferred from one lorry to the other. Crates of 12 bottles each.

On 20/01/2018 at 21:20, 54-46 said:

Need some help in settling a family discussion

Does anyone remember the name of the firm that used to deliver fizzy drinks on flat bed trucks back in the late 70s?

My sis reckons it was Corona but my brother in law and myself think it was Alpine. Not sure if different parts of Bristol had different deliveries but we were Whitchurch / Knowle West

Cheers

alpine 3.jpg

3 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

A rare image of the Alpine bottles.....Iron Brew and Blackberryade

Alpine.jpg

Rare photo indeed, checking out the items in the pic I reckon it must have been taken in a 'Borrowers' house.... Those bottles and everything else must be tiny, I can see a little Borrower hand at the top. Those little bottles would hold little more than a sip for a normal sized person.... love the little EverReady mini cycle lamp too, that brings back memories. The undeniable giveaway clue to this obvious Borrowers location and things is of course the little Lego block that looks huge in the pic, we all know Lego blocks are small in real life...

Interesting pic... :) 

Growing up in BS3 I recall both Corona and Alpine delivery. If my memory serves me well it was Corona first and when that disappeared from the scene (early 70's?) Alpine came along.

Whilst us kiddies got our fizz fix this way does anyone remember the beer delivery firm Davenports which also came on a Friday.

Image result for davenports beer delivery

On 20/01/2018 at 22:20, 54-46 said:

Does anyone remember the name of the firm that used to deliver fizzy drinks on flat bed trucks back in the late 70s?

My sis reckons it was Corona but my brother in law and myself think it was Alpine. Not sure if different parts of Bristol had different deliveries but we were Whitchurch / Knowle West

Cheers

My old next door neighbour in Worle, Len Cox , was manager of a Corona depot at Weston.

If that helps . 

On 26/01/2018 at 22:02, WhistleHappy said:

Rare photo indeed, checking out the items in the pic I reckon it must have been taken in a 'Borrowers' house.... Those bottles and everything else must be tiny, I can see a little Borrower hand at the top. Those little bottles would hold little more than a sip for a normal sized person.... love the little EverReady mini cycle lamp too, that brings back memories. The undeniable giveaway clue to this obvious Borrowers location and things is of course the little Lego block that looks huge in the pic, we all know Lego blocks are small in real life...

Interesting pic... :) 

The size of the Lego block doesn't correspond to the agony you feel when you step on one bare foot .

:w00t:

On 26/01/2018 at 14:58, RedLionLad said:

Alpine Pineapple was gert lush 

Appleade was my fav, I guess an early childhood tastebud preparation for the cider to come in later years! As already mentioned I lived in Briz, although not very local to their depot, but maybe at the end of their round as can remember the crushing disappointment when your 3 bottles for that week would be Lemonade (considered plain and boring), cola ( a poor alternative to the ‘real thing’) and Dandilion & Bloody Burdock, as they had ran out of all the good flavours. :facepalm:

27 minutes ago, 54-46 said:

Agreed. I also vaguely remember canned fizzy pear drink which I think was called Peardrax 

Only place we got it was Jarmans chippy on Belland Drive

Cydrax and Peardrax. I think it was about 0.1% proof like the beer shandy and lager and lime you used to get in cans.

edit - long before ring pulls too, you used to have to use one of those triangular can opener thingies like you do for evaporated milk.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Cydrax and Peardrax. I think it was about 0.1% proof like the beer shandy and lager and lime you used to get in cans.

edit - long before ring pulls too, you used to have to use one of those triangular can opener thingies like you do for evaporated milk.

Later models had ring pulls

Cydrax.jpg

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He was my next door neighbour and I am a City supporter ? 

Great answer Major but not worth the bonus point.Len's (very lovely) daughter,Sam,is/was? married to Matt Bryant,former City player,not good with shotguns!As a bonus to keep it on subject,Len's son Jerry,used to deliver bottles of Corona pop door to door in his van.

On 30/01/2018 at 15:35, Slacker said:

Great answer Major but not worth the bonus point.Len's (very lovely) daughter,Sam,is/was? married to Matt Bryant,former City player,not good with shotguns!As a bonus to keep it on subject,Len's son Jerry,used to deliver bottles of Corona pop door to door in his van.

It would be a coincidence that two Len Cox's worked for Corona however the one I knew from Worle had Maxine , his eldest daughter, Louise I think but definitely his son was Jeremy ( Jerry ? ) .

Are We talking of the same man do you think ? 

On 02/02/2018 at 11:57, Major Isewater said:

It would be a coincidence that two Len Cox's worked for Corona however the one I knew from Worle had Maxine , his eldest daughter, Louise I think but definitely his son was Jeremy ( Jerry ? ) .

Are We talking of the same man do you think ? 

Going back a long way Major,but as I remember,Len was a not very big man,dark hair but not much,wore glasses and had a bit of a olive / Med skin tone.I thought he had two daughters,Sam and Emma.Jerry as I recall had quite an unkempt,straggly hair /beard look.Are you certain about the daughters names.

On 03/02/2018 at 17:17, Slacker said:

Going back a long way Major,but as I remember,Len was a not very big man,dark hair but not much,wore glasses and had a bit of a olive / Med skin tone.I thought he had two daughters,Sam and Emma.Jerry as I recall had quite an unkempt,straggly hair /beard look.Are you certain about the daughters names.

The skin tone is spot on he could have been mistaken for an Indian .

The Len I'm referring to lived in Worle in the early seventies.

His kids Maxine, Jeremy and Louise ( I think )

Jeremy was about 8 or 9 when I knew him so his beard wasn't so noticeable.

It doesn't completely sound like the same guy but it is a huge coincidence that there were two Len Cox's working for Corona .

Brief mention of the Alpine delivery wagons on BBC's 'Back in time for tea' (Ep. 4), now on iPlayer. The lad had a few empties to return and got a free bottle of proper old school pop. Didn't know that Alpine were a Sunderland outfit, and they took over from Corona.

Just came across this and thought I would chime in and say you are all correct. I can confirm this as I am Len Cox’ grandson and Jeremy Cox’ son.

Lens daughters names are also correct, Maxine, Louise, Emma and Samantha. (My aunts) 

Sadly I do not have any old photographs to share. I do however remember the countless bottles of pop we had laying around ?

On 28/02/2018 at 16:47, Erithacus said:

Brief mention of the Alpine delivery wagons on BBC's 'Back in time for tea' (Ep. 4), now on iPlayer. The lad had a few empties to return and got a free bottle of proper old school pop. Didn't know that Alpine were a Sunderland outfit, and they took over from Corona.

I think they were based in Birmingham.

On 20/01/2018 at 21:20, 54-46 said:

Cheers

I grew up in plumduff  we used to have Corona, the guy did it for years probably was delivering from the mid 60's, he had some funny timings with his delivery, he watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon at our house whilst doing a delivery, watched Dalglish score the winner for Liverpool in the European Cup final at Wembley, a couple world dart finals, Jocky Wilson and Bristow.

Did anyone have a special Christmas delivery? 2 lots of everything, never used to last though?

Archived