IGNORED

Loïs Diony - Confirmed Loan Agreed

Negan

17 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

But we've done that route and 80%+ of the signings have been flops.

Surely at that point it must be time to realise there is a better way of doing things, and one that doesn't screw us up financially 

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Kodjia and Tammy had no ‘proof’ in this league. Both excelled.

Diedhiou had no proof in this league and is looking like a fine signing. Trust in the system. 

Yes I agree with you really, the management team have done enough for us to have faith.

I can see why some may be concerned about us signing players unproven in England when our rivals appear to be 'going for it'. I don't really agree with doing that either, you can't suddenly pay someone double what everyone else earns and expect the team to be happy about it.

I can see why some would be underwhelmed when the names of players had reached fever pitch on here.. Afobe and even Tammy Abraham.

I can't comment on Diony because I had never heard of him before his name popped up on here. Looks like his current move just hasn't worked out for him yet. Hopefully it'll be good for him having Diedhiou here already given the language and that they're almost exactly the same age (within a couple of days of each other).

It's a brave transfer, but that's LJ allover. If he wins us promotion having strengthened with two young prospects and a relatively unknown French striker it'll be a great achievement.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes I agree with you really, the management team have done enough for us to have faith.

I can see why some may be concerned about us signing unproven players when our rivals appear to be 'going for it'. I don't really agree with doing that either, you can't suddenly pay someone double what everyone else earns and expect the team to be happy about it.

I can see why some would be underwhelmed when the names of players had reached fever pitch on here.. Afobe and even Tammy Abraham.

I can't comment on Diony because I had never heard of him before his name popped up on here. Looks like his current move just hasn't worked out for him yet. Hopefully it'll be good for him having Diedhiou here already given the language and that they're almost exactly the same age (within a couple of days of each other).

It's a brave transfer, but that's LJ allover. If he wins us promotion having strengthened with two young prospects and a relatively unknown French striker it'll be a great achievement.

Exactly. Jerome’s probably on about 30k a week at Derby but no one will bat an eyelid in the dressing room because that’s probably what many of their players earn.

People are very quick to forget who we are and where we’ve come from. We have only just started to see the increased revenue and spending power that comes with more modern facilities - people can’t and shouldn’t expect Uncle Steve to be signing £25-£30k a week players all of a sudden. 

Would I like to see maybe one player come in with that WOW factor that makes people sit up and take us seriously?

Maybe, but we did that with Tomlin and we got burned. 

If this guy contributes to 15 goals this season on his (say) £10k a week and Jerome contributes to 10 then people will still clamour for the ‘name’ rather than judging on what happens on the pitch. 

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Kodjia and Tammy had no ‘proof’ in this league. Both excelled.

Diedhiou had no proof in this league and is looking like a fine signing. Trust in the system. 

Yes and it took them pre season and a month to settle in. We’re in January here.

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Yes and it took them pre season and a month to settle in. We’re in January here.

That's my concern personally. We need someone to be ready to go from day 1. You have to allow foreign signings time to settle. One advantage is that he should be match fit, but it's all the other things about coming to a new club in a new country that take a few weeks..

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You can see the point though I’m sure. Understandable people would feel far more confident in our promotion chances if it was looking like we were signing a forward who’s proven in the country. 

Woodrow is proven in this country, but has not really fired with us (certainly compared to his performances with Burton last season)

Fingers crossed who ever we bring in will do the business!

COYR.

1 minute ago, Tangle Foot said:

Woodrow is proven in this country, but has not really fired with us (certainly compared to his performances with Burton last season)

Fingers crossed who ever we bring in will do the business!

COYR.

Well yes but you could always find isolated examples of signings that have worked and signings that haven't on either side of the argument - it's not really relevant. I can understand people's concerns though. I hope this guy is an inspired signing.

Don’t you love rumours like this, a player no one has heard of before, gets linked randomly on twitter and the next thing it’s a goer :laugh: better than the ones where were linked for months on end or season after season. Still waiting for us to sign Buzsaky 

42 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You can see the point though I’m sure. Understandable people would feel far more confident in our promotion chances if it was looking like we were signing a forward who’s proven in the country. 

Phileas. Are you now one of my disciples? 

14 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Tammy didn’t have a pre season with us and it took him about 5 minutes to settle in.

Walsh had almost no championship experience and looks like he’s been playing with us for years. 

Tomlin had a full pre season with us and is still a massive**** :laugh: 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Tammy didn’t have a pre season with us and it took him about 5 minutes to settle in.

Walsh had almost no championship experience and looks like he’s been playing with us for years. 

Tomlin had a full pre season with us and is still a massive**** :laugh: 

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Well his Instagram story suggests he’s at the airport in France..

To score the winner in extra time tonight? 

I don't think we realise how much our league position and cup run can help sell the club to overseas players. Telling a player, that's never heard of Bristol City before, that we've beaten Manchester United this season and are in the semi-finals against Man City must be one hell of a draw. Compare that to last season, Johnson and Ashton had to try and convince players such as Hegeler to move countries to a club which was absolutely plummeting down the league. 

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I don't think we realise how much our league position and cup run can help sell the club to overseas players. Telling a player, that's never heard of Bristol City before, that we've beaten Manchester United this season and are in the semi-finals against Man City must be one hell of a draw. Compare that to last season, Johnson and Ashton had to try and convince players such as Hegeler to move countries to a club which was absolutely plummeting down the league. 

Yup, drop into the conversation that we have played and beaten, Stoke and Palace and played Watford twice this year, and played Burnley within a year.  Then let the overseas players believe we are already in the Premiership, good plan. :laughcont:

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Haha, wouldn't go that far just yet. Adding a bit of balance to things though.

I don't know anything about the player so can't comment on his ability - but believe we should trust the scouting team's judgement.

Well that's what I've been saying all along. You need quality proven players to supplement what we have. Don't see the difference!!

Archived