Jimmy Mann v Forest

Was in my top 3

29 minutes ago, COACH2 said:

Tomlin v Huddersfield

A superb two footed goal 

As was this one

42 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Bryan v ManU

But this now makes it a top 4 alongside....

....Rob Newman’s 35 yarder last Roger Freestone against Newport.

There’s probably one more out there to make it a very decent top 5, but I can’t separate those 4.

15 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Maynard v QPR best goal I’ve seen by City and Nobles v Palace 

I remember enjoying a rare Matty Bryant 30 yarder about 25 years ago, top corner stuff 

Remember that Bryant one. V stoke in the cup. Ronnie Sunclair left grasping thin air.

56 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

What is the best goal you've seen scored by City? For me it would have to be Freeman's effort against Ipswich, sat in the south stand that day.

Tinnion at Stoke away. Though Luke Wiltshire scored a cracking goal v Tranmere. Also remember Tinnion's free kick that swerved past Jimmy Walker v Walsall. What a player he was. 

1 minute ago, yardy said:

For me it was Trundle's 2nd vs Scunthorpe in front of the Atyeo, was corner of the 18 yard box and he had the audacity to chip the keeper who was barely off his line.

Was a draw dropping goal and no one seen it coming, class.

Or his second leg goal v Palarse. What a strike. 

So much choice of great goals in my years of supporting City, and plenty of recent top quality strikes.

But I can only recall one player hitting the ball so hard it broke the net. 

Jonny Watkins.

Greatly impressed this 10 year old at the time!

I can still recall the linesman examining the goal net at the old covered end, as the ball had flashed past the goalie but was not in the net. He soon found the hole it had made!

Bryan against Manure has to go down as one of the greatest, given the occasion, the opposition and the fact he started the move in his own half by flicking the ball over a player as well as an unbelievable finish. I can’t think of many better - noble’s I guess fits some of the same criteria but just a great hit if I remember it correctly 

Love it when this question comes up annually or so because it's always the same for me: Murray's goal against Oldham all those years ago and being lucky to have sat in the Atyeo watching him running the length of the pitch to score. Magic.

Love how it gets better every year I think about it. For me, no one has beaten that ever since.  Appreciate I've raised the bar pretty high in my mind.

Louis Donowa v The Gas. Oh how badly needed that was. Jimmy Mann v Forest. Now that's what I call a free kick. Norman Hunters free kick. Both boot and ball hit the net. Ralph Milne v Forgot. A stunning "tap in" after a pinpoint Walshie cross. Joe Bryan v Man United. Because it was so recent and because it was a very good strike

To be a “best goal” there must be a significant occasion, not just a good goal in a meaningless match. For that reason it must be Paul Cheesley’s goal against Arsenal in the first game in Division 1. He, and Tom Richey ran rings around the Arsenal defence

Forgive me if I'm wrong but i always remember being 1 down to Plymouth at home and Micky Bell had two free kicks within minutes from more or less the same spot in front the Atyeo, 1st went in the top left 2nd in the top right to put us 2-1 up. 

I may have rose tinted specs on, but that's how I remember it. 

12 minutes ago, Portred said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but i always remember being 1 down to Plymouth at home and Micky Bell had two free kicks within minutes from more or less the same spot in front the Atyeo, 1st went in the top left 2nd in the top right to put us 2-1 up. 

I may have rose tinted specs on, but that's how I remember it. 

Exactly as I remember it too. A night match and Fallon I think got theirs. IIRC the BBC filmed scenes for an episode of Casualty or Holby City at AG that night too where they were treating a patient on the touchline in front of the EE during the game.

It was part of that record winning run under GJ where we won about ten on the bounce before losing away at Fulham on NY Day (?)

Really difficult to choose. The ones that stand out to me (in no particular order) are:

Murray v Oldham

Wilkshire's 40 yarder v Tranmere

Tinnion at Stoke, also at Anfield and a free kick at home v Cambridge. 

Nicky Morgan v Blackburn - very similar to Thorpe's goal against the fewers in that 3-2 game.

Riley's header at Wembley in 1986 - that goal followed fantastic long passes by Walsh and Pritchard.

Tomlin's goal when he flicked it over the defender and then smashed it in. 

Bob Taylor's volley at Cardiff in 1989. His volley at the Vetch Field that season was even better, but I wasn't at that game so can't count it.

Flint's rabona v Walsall - I don't think I'll see a goal from a central defender like that again in my lifetime.

Joe Bryan v Manchester. What a move and shot. 

Sproule's goal when he ran the length of the pitch (v Southampton?) was also memorable - not least because there was that heart stopping moment when he almost ran it out of play!

Always say this every time this question comes up. 

Joe Jordan at home to Gillingham late 1988/89 season. 0-0 late on in the game. Our player-manager brings himself on and shortly after gets put through virtually on his own in their half. Takes the ball to about 30-40 yards out and unleashes a diagonal bullet into the very top corner. Me and my mates in the old open end were right in the trajectory. Only the net stopped it taking our heads off. 

Pretty sure it was Jordan's last goal. After the match he said, "I had to hit it... I didn't have the legs to carry it any further..." 

12 minutes ago, bcfcchris2016 said:

Joe Bryan’s goal vs Crystal Palace will stay with me for a long time. Absolutely splendid goal no matter where the camera angle is. 

Going quite a way back, does anyone remember Luke Wilkshire’s 40 yarder vs Tranmere ?

Quite a way back??... 

... God, I must be old... 

Gotta be noble v palace for in terms magnitude. 

Strangely one that has always stuck in my mind was, I think, a david rennie pile driver into the roof of the net from about 25-30 yards. Can’t remember what game it was. In the home end goal back then. Anyone else remember this one? Really pissed off it wasn’t on htv news for some reason or another. Maybe I dreamt it ha haa! It almost blew a hole in net, it was hit that hard!

Archived