IGNORED

Did any one know the caraboo cup was on display in Bristol?

Never to the dark side

The Carabao Cup came to Bristol on Saturday to show Bristol City fans what they are playing for on Tuesday.

But it wasn’t exactly a stampede at the Poundworld store in The Galleries shopping centre, even if it was just three days before the big showdown with Manchester City.

There were more free sample cups of Carabao energy drink on offer than there were fans wanting to pose with the English Football League Cup, which this season is sponsored by the Asian drink brand.

Fans were invited to put on a special pair of white gloves and were allowed to pick up the trophy, as well as taste the drink that has had an eventful time of it in its first year associated with the competition.

After farcical scenes with the draws for the first three rounds, the competition has sprung to life thanks to Bristol City, who knocked out four Premiership teams including Manchester United on a memorable night at Ashton Gate in December.

Then City fans broke the record for the most number of away supporters at the Etihad Stadium in the first leg of the semi-final against Manchester City, and almost pulled off another shock before an injury time winner saw the Citizens run out 2-1 winners.

That has set up the second leg back at Ashton Gate nicely, with a 1-0 win after extra time enough for Bristol City to get to Wembley for the final of a major cup competition for the first time in its history.

But if cup fever has been gripping BS3, it wasn’t that in evidence at Poundworld.

Darren Quigley was one of the few who took the opportunity to have his picture taken with the trophy.

“I was just going shopping, just passing and didn’t know this was here,” said the 44-year-old from Whitchurch.

“I’ve been a City fan for 27 years. I’ve been a season ticket before, but not this season and now I couldn’t get a ticket for the cup game,” he added

Darren-Quigley-with-the-Carabao-Cupjpeg.
Darren Quigley, 44, from Whitchurch, with the EFL Cup at Poundworld Plus in The Galleries

Darren, who predicted a 1-0 victory for City with Bobby Reid scoring the all-important goal, added: “It’s great to be able to lift the trophy like this. Hopefully we’ll be picking it up next month as well.”

3 hours ago, shelts said:

Yes saw it in the news . If I nude before and I would’ve go and had a touch and had couple of Cariboo while I was at it 

You need to be in Burtons window for that sort of thing Shelts... Not Poundland ! ffs man what kind of perv are ya?... 

Good job you missed it (like everyone else by the sound of it)  :) 

Knew about it, live five minutes away, still didn't go.

To be honest, if there was ever a perfect metaphor for how the majority of football fans feel about the Carabao Cup, it being on display in Poundland of all places is probably it.

3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

You need to be in Burtons window for that sort of thing Shelts... Not Poundland ! ffs man what kind of perv are ya?... 

Good job you missed it (like everyone else by the sound of it)  :) 

Is Poundland not owned by Mohammed Al Fayed ?

40 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

...forget Poundland & Burtons,  ... For exhibitionists like you and GJ  this has to be the place for you to be...

# John Collier John Collier the window to watch ... # 

That a thing of beauty that advert . Didn’t John Collier play for City ?

Funnily enough, it the typo in the title was taken as correct, Bristol would certainly have a strong case to retain the cup given our links to the story of Princess Caraboo - especially given that she is buried not that far from Ashton Gate, within BS3. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Caraboo

Maybe the long forgotten Princess could bring us some good fortune tomorrow as we continue in our quest to win the trophy that so closely resembles her name. 

8 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Funnily enough, it the typo in the title was taken as correct, Bristol would certainly have a strong case to retain the cup given our links to the story of Princess Caraboo - especially given that she is buried not that far from Ashton Gate, within BS3. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Caraboo

Maybe the long forgotten Princess could bring us some good fortune tomorrow as we continue in our quest to win the trophy that so closely resembles her name. 

Good point....

Has anyone checked out the Carabao trophy for authenticity..? 

As a drink people don't seem to be convinced 'its the real thing'  (like other drinks are) I hope, like the Princess Caraboo story this whole thing, the cup run, trophy, soft drink etc isn't just one big sham... & we've fallen for it.. The Caraboo Cup my arse!

Archived