IGNORED

Jimmy Armfield RIP

Super

I don't remember him as a player but saw his epitaph to Tom Finney which was a real choker. He was highly thought of by Blackpools' rival fans and was obviously a real gentleman. Like others I knew him as a fine commentator and will miss both his expertise and dulcid tones.

R.I.P.

I saw him play just once in a live game. It was an FA Cup tie at home against Blackpool, Stan Matthews and several other internationals. Only 42,500 bothered to turn up!

Mike Thresher bottled up Stan and it was Wally Hinshelwood who stole the show. We drew 1-1 and lost the replay 1-0 on a foggy seaside night.

Thanks Jimmy for you contributions to football and radio commentaries. You will be missed by many who never met you.

PS. We used Cardiff City kit in both matches due to colour clash.

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I saw him play just once in a live game. It was an FA Cup tie at home against Blackpool, Stan Matthews and several other internationals. Only 42,500 bothered to turn up!

Mike Thresher bottled up Stan and it was Wally Hinshelwood who stole the show. We drew 1-1 and lost the replay 1-0 on a foggy seaside night.

Thanks Jimmy for you contributions to football and radio commentaries. You will be missed by many who never met you.

PS. We used Cardiff City kit in both matches due to colour clash.

Can only echo Cidered Abroad's view on Jimmy and agree he was a great listen to on any football subject.

Was at the game, gates to the Open End opened at 12 noon we started queueing at 10.00. am to get our usual spot on Crackers Corner. No advanced ticket purchases in those days. Being down the front it got a bit tightly packed as the crowd built up so a lot of us young uns were lifted over the railings to sit on the perimeter track. The bus men had the benches that were inside the railings. Got quite close to Stan when he took corners at our end which made our day.

Armfield and Graham Taylor were the only ones who just spoke about football in normal voices. They gave insightful views and didn't court controversy for the sake of it. Now everyone seems to be an insufferable pr*ck like Robbie Savage or Jonathan PEEEAAAAAAARRRCCCCEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even worse when women try to comentate like Pearce. Probably only David Pleat worth listening to now, and he usually sounds like he's had a few before the game. 

Very sad to hear this today, a real gent by all accounts, a great footballer who represented his country with honour and distinction, and a broadcaster and commentator who told the game in the same way - with honour but most importantly distinction. When Jimmy spoke we listened. Will miss his clarity and the dignified manner of his voice. And whether he meant it or not, a saying that he would always use, once a game 'as much as anything (else)...'

Thoughts and condolences to his wife and family, and the wider football community who knew him better than we do by voice alone.

RIP Jimmy Armfield :clap:

Archived