IGNORED

Spot the spelling mistake

ChippenhamRed

33 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

It's common usage in British English to use the plural verb for collective nouns.

For example, you wouldn't say "Manchester City is travelling to Bristol City tomorrow night", you'd say "Manchester City are travelling to Bristol City tomorrow night".

Common use doesn’t make it correct....Manchester City is a single entity so to say Manchester City is travelling to Bristol is correct. 

The Aussie’s have got it right during the cricket announcing ‘Australia needs xx runs to win’ etc

45 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Common use doesn’t make it correct....Manchester City is a single entity so to say Manchester City is travelling to Bristol is correct. 

The Aussie’s have got it right during the cricket announcing ‘Australia needs xx runs to win’ etc

Language evolves. Common usage over a long enough period of time does make it correct.

Got to love a grammar discussion on a football forum :laugh:

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Manchester City have played well this season is correct - and their form this season makes me fear for tomorrow night.

If not their form, then he, she or its form? Really?

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Manchester City have played well this season is correct - and their form this season makes me fear for tomorrow night.

If not their form, then he, she or its form? Really?

Technically the grammatically correct form is to use the singular form. Manchester City is technically a single entity - in the same way that ASDA or any other company is a single entity.  You would say "Bristol Sport has released it's annual accounts" but then say "the board of directors have authorised the release".

However, in British English there is, and has been for many decades, a tendency to refer to a team or group of individuals, in particular in sport, as a collection of individuals - so we use "they" and "their".  Read any national newspaper's reports on sport in this country and you will see this language.  The focus is on the group rather than the legal and individual entity. 

Our colonial cousins in Australia, the USA and Canada tend to the more technical use of "it" and "has".  Personally I think it is  America's franchise system that means they focus on the legal entity rather than the group. It's a slight quirk of the British but as we all know what we mean there's nothing particularly wrong with it.

This link summarises it quite well https://www.quora.com/In-American-English-Why-are-Soccer-teams-treated-as-singular-when-all-other-sports-are-treated-as-plural

Imagine learning English as a foreign language.  I have no idea how people do it.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Technically the grammatically correct form is to use the singular form. Manchester City is technically a single entity - in the same way that ASDA or any other company is a single entity.  You would say "Bristol Sport has released it's annual accounts" but then say "the board of directors have authorised the release".

To be very pedantic (which, in real life, I only do to annoy my children) there's only one board of directors, so "the board of directors has...", but "the directors have..."

Saying "their" for a football club has always made sense to me: it's not the whole entity of MCFC that's coming to town tomorrow - it's some of their players and other staff - and there's a kind of mental shorthand here (in my mind at least) acknowledging that we're not discussing MCFC as a whole, but a certain number of indivduals representing it. It would probably feel more natural to talk about the MCFC team as a singular entity. Although, as you and others have said, this is an example of language - and grammatical correctness - evolving so that I wouldn't consider either option to be wrong.

41 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

So it’s not facetious to suggest you need deep pockets for this one too...

It’s a pound more. I know affordable means different things to different people, but I don’t think it’s an unreasonable increase for something vastly superior and highly collectible, on a special occasion.

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

However, in British English there is, and has been for many decades, a tendency to refer to a team or group of individuals, in particular in sport, as a collection of individuals - so we use "they" and "their".  Read any national newspaper's reports on sport in this country and you will see this language.  The focus is on the group rather than the legal and individual entity. 

Our colonial cousins in Australia, the USA and Canada tend to the more technical use of "it" and "has".  Personally I think it is  America's franchise system that means they focus on the legal entity rather than the group. It's a slight quirk of the British but as we all know what we mean there's nothing particularly wrong with it.

This link summarises it quite well https://www.quora.com/In-American-English-Why-are-Soccer-teams-treated-as-singular-when-all-other-sports-are-treated-as-plural

Imagine learning English as a foreign language.  I have no idea how people do it.

I love English grammar although this is the wrong place for it to be discussed (even though I think I started this particular ball rolling!)

I would remark that were I to look for a source of excellence in written English grammar, I wouldn't turn to the sports section of a national newspaper!

5 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

Language evolves. Common usage over a long enough period of time does make it correct.

Got to love a grammar discussion on a football forum :laugh:

How do you people know this stuff? I was in the top set for English at school and they didn’t teach me any grammar. Shakespeare, poetry and bloody Charles Dickens is all I got. I got an average O level grade in both  language and literature, flip knows how if I never got taught the proper stuff!

People saying this is wrong and that it’s wrong, I’m not being lazy or stupid I was just never taught it or have anyone to give me proper examples at home etc. I feel embarrassed now.:no:

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

As somebody mentioned earlier in the thread :whistle:, this '...particular linguistic debate is one that can very quickly become pretty heated.'

I wasn't saying that referring to Manchester City in a singular form was incorrect, simply that the plural form was also correct and, in my opinion, is probably a more common usage. 

Your ASDA example is interesting.

This is simply a personal preference, but I would ask 'What time does ASDA open?' whereas, in contrast, I would ask what time J Sainsbury plc, trading as Sainsbury's, are open.

Finally, because I am sure we all have better things to do, 'And it's Bristol City, Bristol City FC, because they are the finest team the world has ever seen' 

It would, of course, be more simple in French where we can distinguish easily between tu et vous, il et ils... 

Edit. Sorry, I saw this just as I posted. Or should that be - one that can become pretty heated very quickly?

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

How do you people know this stuff

Honestly? I read books. For example I’m currently reading a book about prime numbers.

If you’re interested in learning some of the stuff they don’t think each at school on grammar or the English language then seek out “Eats, Shoots, and Leaves” by Lynne Truss or “The Mother Tongue” by Bill Bryson. Two accessible and informative books that explain some of the history and quirks of our words.

1 minute ago, Robin TBW said:

So they'v done it once already and again for tomorrow... Not a one-off then.

Blimey. Pedantry in the extreme. I think most people understood the point I was making. Perhaps you'd rather Korey Smith had put his shot wide so you didn't have to go to a cup semi final and didn't have to pay £4 for a programme again.

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Honestly? I read books. For example I’m currently reading a book about prime numbers.

If you’re interested in learning some of the stuff they don’t think each at school on grammar or the English language then seek out “Eats, Shoots, and Leaves” by Lynne Truss or “The Mother Tongue” by Bill Bryson. Two accessible and informative books that explain some of the history and quirks of our words.

@RedM. I can endorse @ExiledAjax's recommendation totally, even if he might have better used one comma less, or fewer :whistle::shutup:.

What would the panda have said, firing his gun just after eating? 

57 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Blimey. Pedantry in the extreme. I think most people understood the point I was making. Perhaps you'd rather Korey Smith had put his shot wide so you didn't have to go to a cup semi final and didn't have to pay £4 for a programme again.

I don't buy programmes. Overpriced and nothing in there we don't already know.

Archived