IGNORED

Flags

Super

18 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Not a big fan of the flags but for a one off fair enough.

However putting Come On You Reds on the TV screens please no. It’s the semi final of the league cup we don’t need a plastic generated atmosphere. @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO Not agaIn please! 

Seconded, that was massively cringeworthy! Minor gripe though on a brilliant night but hopefully we won't see that again. 

Visually I thought they looked good under the lights and must have been quite a sight for the players coming out. I did feel quite sad though when the majority were just dumped afterwards and think a scarf/ material flag would have been more reusable, not just a one off. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree, and those who reacted to your post with ‘snake’ or ‘rubbish’ probably slagged off the clappers (eg at Leicester) or the vuvuzelas which were around after the World Cup in South Africa.....although, on second thought, they probably loved ‘em!

I pine for the spontaneous, deafening atmospheres of the real East End in the 1970s and 1980s....no such gimmicks would have been tolerated back then....

Don't care about some litter bins and snakes mate. Fact of it is football is full of plastics and this just highlights where the game is these days. Gone are those glorious afternoons on the terraces and more recently the subbers in the east end. Shame. 

4 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

Don't care about some litter bins and snakes mate. Fact of it is football is full of plastics and this just highlights where the game is these days. Gone are those glorious afternoons on the terraces and more recently the subbers in the east end. Shame. 

Yea, pissing on the terraces and wearing marigolds! Jesus Christ, the world has moved on in every aspect from the 70s and 80s.....get over it

4 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I just looked at it and thought what a sight for the players to walk out to. I was sceptical at first, but when everyone joined in, it was quite something. That's from someone who remembers terraces very well and I'm definitely not made out of plastic!

Same here.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Not a big fan of the flags but for a one off fair enough.

However putting Come On You Reds on the TV screens please no. It’s the semi final of the league cup we don’t need a plastic generated atmosphere. @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO Not agaIn please! 

Pretty much my view on things.

That said, people I drink with locally (who don't follow football) were well impressed.

Those that do follow football made a variety of comments, one that stood out being...

'WTF were all of those Sir Jimmy blankets all about?'

Apparently it was a marathon runners dream. (Nonse-ing optional)

I thought it was going to be plastic and tacky. Frankly, I was blown away. As a one-off, incredible.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put ‘Come on you Reds’ on the screen, should join Maggers in 52 weeks hard labour in Outer Mongolia. 

Always interesting to watch away fans reaction to gauge the success, or otherwise, of home fan initiatives. Flags they stared in awe in stunned silence, screen chants ‘tinpot’ was more the reaction.

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Come on even the most cynical of you have to admit that looked amazing at kick off.

Apparently I was wrong, some of the more cynical fans won't admit it looked impressive. 

There are those it seems that are unwilling to embrace change, or attempts by the club to help the fans create an atmosphere. They also seem to have rose tinted glasses that make them think that in the good old days of the terraces there was an incredible atmosphere every week, and all parts of the ground sang for 90 minutes.

It's a shame, because no matter what they think, things like those displays last night will stick in the minds of those young kids I saw walking around, many of whom looked amazed at everything they saw.

I am sure we all want to see a new generation coming to the ground, and these sort of initiatives are what it takes, then I am all for it.

I do draw the line at screen led chanting though. :)

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

There are those it seems that are unwilling to embrace change, or attempts by the club to help the fans create an atmosphere.

I do draw the line at screen led chanting though. :)

“Come on you Reds” on the screens was an attempt by the club to help the fans create an atmosphere. So you ‘are’ unwilling to embrace change!

No gimmicks were needed to encourage generations of kids to come back to Ashton Gate in the good old days. But come back they did. I was immediately intoxicated by the raw atmosphere back then and just couldn’t wait to go back. And when I went into the real East End for the first time it was an incredible experience....I didn’t need a piece of tin foil

There was a fully grown man stood in front of me who was waving three flags in unison (one stolen from a teenager to the right of him) whilst recording the stadium, shouting this is ****g immense, mental, how quality does that look, wow.  He was insistent on telling everyone within a 5 metre radius of his seat how mental it looked.

Mind you his was completely off his nut and was chewing his own jaw for the entire 90 minutes

It looked good, the club are trying to attract a new breed of supporter, not just us old skool types, it helped raise the atmosphere so have to say that overall, a good idea IMO.

It was noticeable the number of school kids down AG last night and that has to be good for the future.

9 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

I thought it was going to be plastic and tacky. Frankly, I was blown away. As a one-off, incredible.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put ‘Come on you Reds’ on the screen, should join Maggers in 52 weeks hard labour in Outer Mongolia. 

Always interesting to watch away fans reaction to gauge the success, or otherwise, of home fan initiatives. Flags they stared in awe in stunned silence, screen chants ‘tinpot’ was more the reaction.

Didn’t we used to do that in the old Ashton Gate? The board above the EastEnd used to whenever we had a corner or set piece.

Personally I thought it showed just how packed the gate was and how impressive the Lansdown Stand is. 

Yes it was gimmicky, but as a player walking out to that surely you couldn't fail to be motivated by the display? 

To me it felt like a European tie which is generally full on gimmick, but hey, how often do nights like these come along?!

Come on you reds on the screens though was hideously embarrassing. I thought we might have stooped so low to play "Amarillo" after we scored, but fortunately the Tinpot bit ended there. Please, we don't need to be reminded of what to sing as we are more than capable of doing it ourselves anyway!

Great to be a part of that last night. Let's hope we can now kick on and have a decent stab at promotion. These are good times at Ashton Gate right now so let's enjoy it while it lasts!

Archived