IGNORED

Anybody else think we’ll win tonight?

Robin101

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Head and heart for me.

Head tells me that they're a better team than us. Top class players all over the pitch and on paper they should ease past us. Add to the fact that Pep will know what to expect having been surprised by our style at the Etihad and of course they're 2-1 up.

• All that said - heart says that it's a cup tie and anything can happen. I'm  hoping that LJ has devised a brilliant playing strategy that will out smart his idol Pep Gaurdiola and he might well have done. They can be defensively frail and with our threat from set pieces and long throws you just never know...............:fingerscrossed:

I’m glad you mentioned the long throws, because I can’t be the only one who thinks we “don’t” actually threaten with them at all!

I think it’s a falicy, unless someone can advise me when we actually get an end result from our long throws?

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

I disagree with this mate, it means we can only rely on a 1-0 win. Ultimately we have to assume they're going to score, so we have to go for 2 goals tonight. If we also assume that a 1-0 win is theoretically extremely difficult bearing in mind it would have to be after 120 minutes, it then makes conceding at any point far less of a knockout blow. 2 conceded and then it really is over.

Fair enough mate, what I’m saying is, if they score first, we then ‘have’ to score twice regardless.

It also means that we will have to ‘come out’, meaning they can pick us off on the counter attack. 

I would 100% rather we scored first!

10 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I’m glad you mentioned the long throws, because I can’t be the only one who thinks we “don’t” actually threaten with them at all!

I think it’s a falicy, unless someone can advise me when we actually get an end result from our long throws?

Flint v Cardiff.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Flint v Cardiff.

Thanks Nogbad, that’s a low ratio though considering the amount of long throws we take. I would like to see us mix it up tonight, let Man City set themselves up for the long throw and then do something different. We have become very predictable.

55 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

No, but to be honest I don't really care either way, if we do great it's a day out for the kids, if we don't then it's back to the bread and butter of the league, the real thing.

A great day out for the kids? You realise we have never won a major trophy in our existence!!?

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Thanks Nogbad, that’s a low ratio though considering the amount of long throws we take. I would like to see us mix it up tonight, let Man City set themselves up for the long throw and then do something different. We have become very predictable.

Agreed Bill, it's got a high 'failure' rate but beautiful when it comes off!

I suspect LJ will be doing things differently tonight, one or two tactical surprises, but the long throw is still a nice alternative occasional weapon to have up his sleeve.

58 minutes ago, CIDER NOT CIDRE said:

I'm weirdly optimistic... Saying that I've been 'optimistic' every season for about the last ten years since 07/08, so it's not much to go on!

(Put a fiver on us to win on penalties though.... and a couple of quid on a normal time win)

What odds did that give? Isn't penalties pretty unlikely? Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only scoreline that leads to penalties is either 1-0 or 2-1 to us at FT - and it would then have to be 2-1 to us aet. 1-0 to us gives a result aet. Every other scoreline gives a result after normal time or aet.

I give you that home 2-1 is probably one of the more common scorelines in football, but I'd argue that this is no common game.

I'm reminded of those war films when the troops are preparing to enter battle. Made my peace with God and now feel zen-like and ready. Relaxed would be the wrong word, but everyone knows the role they have to play tonight - from players to fans - and now the feeling I have is of focus and quiet determination. We're not expected to win this, and that can only work in our favour. 

No other team with such a small squad could've done what Bristol City have done in both the league and the cup this season. Both Man Utd and Man City have talked about squad rotation, whereas we had youth players on the bench against United.  Our team cost £7 million against Man City to their £300+million and we went toe to toe with them, like no other team and done all season. Their fans are already talking about Wembley, but they haven't played the second half of the game at our place yet.

Yes, we have a bloody good chance of beating them. We're Bristol City, we always believe. 

2 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

No, but to be honest I don't really care either way, if we do great it's a day out for the kids, if we don't then it's back to the bread and butter of the league, the real thing.

Our first major cup final for 109 years would be nothing more than a "great day out for the kids"?  Good grief.  Pathetic.

This just proves what a great job Sky have done of convincing everyone that nothing else matters except the Premier League.  Seems some people have forgotten what it means to follow a football team.  It's about great moments and great occasions, not just promotion.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Our first major cup final for 109 years would be nothing more than a "great day out for the kids"?  Good grief.  Pathetic.

This just proves what a great job Sky have done of convincing everyone that nothing else matters except the Premier League.  Seems some people have forgotten what it means to follow a football team.  It's about great moments and great occasions, not just promotion.

Exactly. I remember enjoying the Bradford game when we were promoted, but it was nothing like the United game for me personally. It's moments like that which make you follow football.

18 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

No other team with such a small squad could've done what Bristol City have done in both the league and the cup this season. Both Man Utd and Man City have talked about squad rotation, whereas we had youth players on the bench against United.  Our team cost £7 million against Man City to their £300+million and we went toe to toe with them, like no other team and done all season. Their fans are already talking about Wembley, but they haven't played the second half of the game at our place yet.

Yes, we have a bloody good chance of beating them. We're Bristol City, we always believe. 

Their fans were booking tickets for Wembley since the day we beat Manchester United.

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

This. Since it worked that one time against Cardiff I don't think we've even come close to scoring. Oh and against Palace in the 4th round I suppose.

Don't mind us using it now and again to mix things up a bit but we shouldn't do it every time

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Be honest it is not a competition that has much merit, the beating of Man Utd in any shape or form was easily the best result since we last beat them aside from that this cup run has all but scuppered our chances of auto promotion, possibly top 6 too, BUT it is testament to have far we have progressed as a club, but I am not losing it just yet. IF and a big if we actually win the thing, how would we be able to compete in the league and that awful UEFA competition that's played every Thursday, that all other clubs detest, it's a punishment for not qualifying for the Champions League knockout stages, personally I wish we could have transferred all the wins in this cup to the league, we would have been well placed for Auto..

But for all those that are buzzing for tonight that is great, and I do get that, and I hope for you lot especially we win.

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Exactly. Promotion would be great but winning, actually winning outright, a major trophy beats making it into the top 20 anyday.

Actually really starting to annoy me the amount of people trying to seem worldly wise and above it all saying they'd rather win on Saturday. There's not a City fan in the world who'd feel anything like as good at 5pm Saturday than at 10pm tonight if we were to win both. Can you imagine...

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Be honest it is not a competition that has much merit, the beating of Man Utd in any shape or form was easily the best result since we last beat them aside from that this cup run has all but scuppered our chances of auto promotion, possibly top 6 too, BUT it is testament to have far we have progressed as a club, but I am not losing it just yet. IF and a big if we actually win the thing, how would we be able to compete in the league and that awful UEFA competition that's played every Thursday, that all other clubs detest, it's a punishment for not qualifying for the Champions League knockout stages, personally I wish we could have transferred all the wins in this cup to the league, we would have been well placed for Auto..

But for all those that are buzzing for tonight that is great, and I do get that, and I hope for you lot especially we win.

Who the **** cares how we'd cope in the league?! We'd have the chance to play in Europe. That might quite literally never happen again. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

2 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

Exactly. Promotion would be great but winning, actually winning outright, a major trophy beats making it into the top 20 anyday.

Actually really starting to annoy me the amount of people trying to seem worldly wise and above it all saying they'd rather win on Saturday. There's not a City fan in the world who'd feel anything like as good at 5pm Saturday than at 10pm tonight if we were to win both. Can you imagine...

Spot on

we’ve never won a major trophy and yet some on here are acting as if this cup has no value at all. Anyone would think we’d already won it umpteen times.

Unbelievable

4 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

Who the **** cares how we'd cope in the league?! We'd have the chance to play in Europe. That might quite literally never happen again. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Nothing at all, the league to me takes precedent, certainly having to compete in the UEFA Cup would really stretch us, go figure and think about it before  jumping on what is a well thought out post. So, what will happen to morrow when we have lost? QPR up next and after losing the last two home matches it really will be another test, lose that and we can probably kiss goodbye top 6. Our squad is stretched with injuries and I am afraid it it's all down to this Cup run. 

If you are serious about not caring about the league, then what is the point...crazy comment, but I am not at all surprised, we are BCFC. 

12 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Spot on

we’ve never won a major trophy and yet some on here are acting as if this cup has no value at all. Anyone would think we’d already won it umpteen times.

Unbelievable

Yes it is unbelievable to put this ahead of promotion, you win cups and leagues by being a top class team, with the exception of Swindon and Milwall perhaps, if you don't get that I feel for you. We won't win this cup, but we might have made the Prem.

7 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Nothing at all, the league to me takes precedent, certainly having to compete in the UEFA Cup would really stretch us, go figure and think about it before  jumping on what is a well thought out post. So, what will happen to morrow when we have lost? QPR up next and after losing the last two home matches it really will be another test, lose that and we can probably kiss goodbye top 6. Our squad is stretched with injuries and I am afraid it it's all down to this Cup run. 

If you are serious about not caring about the league, then what is the point...crazy comment, but I am not at all surprised, we are BCFC. 

Who said I don't care about the league? It would be fantastic if we go up, I'd be like a 6 year old on Christmas Eve before the first MOTD, I just see it as the slightly lesser of two great worlds.

But also, we're only 2 wins away from the league cup, unlikely as they may be. There's 18 games to go in the league. Beating QPR in itself achieves nothing, beating Man City tonight would be one of the greatest achievements in our history. And even if we lose on Saturday, the worst case scenario is we'll be out of the playoffs on GD with over 3 months to go. Not exactly disastrous is it?

Archived