IGNORED

Maggers..........(Merged)

brady bunch

10 hours ago, Red Wardy Returns said:

i lost count of how many times he gave the ball away or was dispossessed.

He did so many players did the same, Pack, Walsh gave it away more than Mags, Wright, Bryan, Reid. Bit harsh he got the blame as we came against far and away the best team in the country and Walsh was a lot worse that half as he kept trying to take people on when we were still in danger.

2 hours ago, SX227 said:

Oh well - at least we know who has won "scapegoat of the month award on OTIB" for January.

Yes - terrible mistake. No doubt about it.

I would respectfully ask - did all those calling for him to be transferred not notice literally 10 minutes earlier when he sprinted from LB to stop a Man C attack on the right when Korey was left 3 on 1?

If you didn't please look again.

Yes, he has made some mistakes - tonight's was awful - 100% agree BUT - I defy anyone to genuinely not concede that Mags has improved out of sight this season.

He is still young, still learning and WILL eventually stop these errors.

Genuine critical posts are respected, but some posters going on about his looks and haircut....seriously guys, give it a rest.

He will play plenty more games at LB this season - LJ has belief in his ability.

It was awesome hearing the Maggs song being sung at the start of the 2nd half - I would imagine that helped the lad. Also saw Gus sit next to him and put his head on his shoulder and lean in - Mags looked utterly distraught.

That kind of love for your club, feeling terrible after you know what you have done is the 'DNA' worth bottling.

Mags will play a lot more for us, and just like AF, will turn out to be a tremendous player.

Only on OTIB can we ask for a guy to be sacked after 40 games and being 24 yrs old.

I also agree he may be useful further forward at times, with 2 goals for Iceland in 15 caps.

When Mags is in Russia at the World Cup it will be interesting to see how many of you don't say proudly that he plays for Bristol City..........

This is not the night for finger pointing.

We played a full strength Man City team, who really should have scored 4 or 5.

Mags mistake did not cost us the game.

It should not cost him his City career.

Takes a big man to admit to his mistakes well done Hörður

10 hours ago, Thatwasclose said:

Playing the best pressing team probably in the world and decides to try and be smart in his own box

The frustration is that he doesn't seem to learn, he did the same against Cardiff and cost us a goal and he nearly did the same against Derby on Friday. He needs to learn there is no shame in giving away a corner or throw in at times. Even Manchester with their total football philosophy did it a couple of times last night.

7 hours ago, Benni said:

What the **** is this comparison? What a ******* stupid idiot you are. 

7 hours ago, pillred said:

would you be so forgiving if your wife cheated on you three times because that's how I feel about his mistakes. you might forgive them once, but if they keep doing it there comes a point you want a divorce well I have come to that point with Magnússon.

Benni, 

totally get your support for Mags and so it should be, but you are writing from the perspective of someone who is close to him and not a supporter of BCFC until he joined us..... 

pillred actually makes a very fair point in that its a mistake that he has repeatedly made and does not seem to be learning from it (although i see he now says he will in his twitter). I have three boys aged 11 to 19, i love them just as you love Mags, but when they keep repeating a mistake , my tone of speech with them has to stiffen up and get a bit harsher, otherwise nothing changes. That is the point many of us fans are with in terms of Mags. I started this post. Maybe i should not of? I like mags a lot, he is clearly hugely talented, but in a year or so he will leave us (as will you, when he goes). If he stays at left back for the rest of the season, I think it will be a big factor in us failing to get promotion. But that’s just my opinion. LJ is the guy who decides and i trust him on this. Hopefully mags will make me eat my words!! 

But you and me and everyone needs to maybe reflect on this and think how we do things differently over the coming games, mags as well if he continues to play (which I suspect he will)

2 hours ago, SX227 said:

Oh well - at least we know who has won "scapegoat of the month award on OTIB" for January.

I would respectfully ask - did all those calling for him to be transferred not notice literally 10 minutes earlier when he sprinted from LB to stop a Man C attack on the right when Korey was left 3 on 1?

Yes, he has made some mistakes - tonight's was awful - 100% agree BUT - I defy anyone to genuinely not concede that Mags has improved out of sight this season.

Genuine critical posts are respected, but some posters going on about his looks and haircut....seriously guys, give it a rest.

He will play plenty more games at LB this season - LJ has belief in his ability.

It was awesome hearing the Maggs song being sung at the start of the 2nd half - I would imagine that helped the lad. Also saw Gus sit next to him and put his head on his shoulder and lean in - Mags looked utterly distraught.

That kind of love for your club, feeling terrible after you know what you have done is the 'DNA' worth bottling.

Mags will play a lot more for us, and just like AF, will turn out to be a tremendous player.

Only on OTIB can we ask for a guy to be sacked after 40 games and being 24 yrs old.

I also agree he may be useful further forward at times, with 2 goals for Iceland in 15 caps.

When Mags is in Russia at the World Cup it will be interesting to see how many of you don't say proudly that he plays for Bristol City..........

Best post on here by miles. I saw him after the game and he did look a bit nervous about coming out and seeing people but once a few people had shaken his hand and given some consoling words he seemed to listen and nod, still looked gutted though. I hope it doesn’t play on his mind, yes aknowledge mistakes made but don’t let decisions ruin you. 

I hope players and fans as a whole don’t think on this as failure, I bet any Premiership team wouldn’t have rated their chances against them either. I think I read somewhere that we were only the 2nd team this season to score 2 against them. THAT’s how good they are.

26 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

He did so many players did the same, Pack, Walsh gave it away more than Mags, Wright, Bryan, Reid. Bit harsh he got the blame as we came against far and away the best team in the country and Walsh was a lot worse that half as he kept trying to take people on when we were still in danger.

Totally agree. I would have been shocked if Walsh had come out for the second half. Well out of his death last night and should not have started. 

2 hours ago, SX227 said:

Well said and thought out response to the typical lynch mob on here at times. Puts his all in every time he wears that shirt! 

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

Best post on here by miles. I saw him after the game and he did look a bit nervous about coming out and seeing people but once a few people had shaken his hand and given some consoling words he seemed to listen and nod, still looked gutted though. I hope it doesn’t play on his mind, yes aknowledge mistakes made but don’t let decisions ruin you. 

I hope players and fans as a whole don’t think on this as failure, I bet any Premiership team wouldn’t have rated their chances against them either. I think I read somewhere that we were only the 2nd team this season to score 2 against them. THAT’s how good they are.

I agree. He looked so gutted when he was sitting watching the 2nd half. 

I think he's a talented footballer who's improved a lot this season and will continue to do so. He's our weak link, but he definitely earned his place in last night's team. 

We are the 2nd team in the UK since October to score 2. West Brom (3-2) and Stoke (7-2) both scored did in Oct. 

Yes I saw Flint make the same mistake a few weeks ago, but we got away with it. Over the past eighteen months its been Lansdown out, Johnstone out, Bryan will never make it, same as Reid.At the moment its Magnússon, he is young he will make mistakes, as they all do. As long as he learns from them I will support him. Lets ALL focus on getting three points off QPR on Saturday.

18 minutes ago, swanker said:

Totally agree. I would have been shocked if Walsh had come out for the second half. Well out of his death last night and should not have started. 

I dont think Walsh can play in a two. LJ used to struggle in a two as well. He looked like a rabbit in headlights. 

I’m sorry but I’ve not seen many players get as easy a ride as Hörður in the time he’s been here. He’s an absolute liability. Has been all last season and this season. 

For the money we paid he makes basic errors, I know he’s a nice guy and hes “improving” but imo he’s gone from putting 3/4 performances and is now putting 5/6 performances in. Still isn’t good enough and to be honest if there are any takers in this window I’d be quite happy to let him go. 

7 hours ago, Xiled said:

Please, let's give the guy a chance. Seeing so many of our squad improve during the last 12 months, I see no reason why Magnússon can't make that transition as well.

I think we’ve seen enough to know that he won’t improve . To be fair he is only playing because LJ is forced into it and doesn’t trust or rate the youngsters yet 

10 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I was behind that goal and was not alone in urging him to just boot the bloody thing. 

I want him to succeed but I always feel there is a mistake in him and it was a bloody soft goal to concede.

So were we. And the previous week.

He might be a great bloke.

He might be an international.

He might be able to take long throw ins.

**** me he might even have lovely blonde locks.

But he’s one of a few who ultimately will need to be replaced if we really are going to progress.

Same mistake in exactly the same spot and set of circumstances that lead to the same outcome?

10 hours ago, REDOXO said:

He didn't really. He was targeted and was beaten countless times. However it's Manchester City, a little slack is appropriate, but LJ taking him off says it all. 

Good dcision to take Walsh off too. 

It doesn't ' say it all ' actually.

LJ said they were always going to go more attacking in the second half .

Maggers isn't perfect by a long stretch but stop this witch hunt for pity's sake .

The lad gives his all and is not the finished product .

He has strengths and weaknesses like every player.

Live as a team , die as a team.

53 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The frustration is that he doesn't seem to learn, he did the same against Cardiff and cost us a goal and he nearly did the same against Derby on Friday. He needs to learn there is no shame in giving away a corner or throw in at times. Even Manchester with their total football philosophy did it a couple of times last night.

He could watch Bakes a bit closer .

I believe he is the ultimate defender .

His first instinct is to welly the ball ( with or without attacking player ) the furthest away from our goal as possible . 

No fancy stuff . Ave it. 

Yes he’s young, but he can’t keep costing us goals. There’s about 4 times I can think of at least where he’s been at fault and it cost us, and last night yes the opposition was better but it was very similar to the mistake on Friday against Derby which nearly led to a goal. 

Teams know he’s a weakness and target him, if we want to make play offs we can’t have that kind of player in my opinion.

Bring Bryan back to left back, put Kent LM against QPR and we will be a lot stronger.

21 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

I’m sorry but I’ve not seen many players get as easy a ride as Hörður in the time he’s been here. He’s an absolute liability. Has been all last season and this season. 

For the money we paid he makes basic errors, I know he’s a nice guy and hes “improving” but imo he’s gone from putting 3/4 performances and is now putting 5/6 performances in. Still isn’t good enough and to be honest if there are any takers in this window I’d be quite happy to let him go. 

Sadly some on here can't see it as he posts stuff on twitter and is a nice bloke. On a par with Ryan Mcgivern i'm afraid.

Lloyd Kelly to start against QPR i imagine.

Mags is a Centre Back who can fill in at Left Back, similar to that of Wright on the right hand side. 

Ultimately, whether you're playing at CB or LB, people at all levels of the game know not to mess around in that position. Once it is drilled into him that he cant be messing around like that, it wont be repeated. This is where Baker & Flint need to give him earache if he tries to do it again. Worst comes to worst, they get a corner of a throw in. If they score from that, then it's the team's fault for not defending correctly.

But, we no longer have any cup competitions to manage and rotate the squad. We can focus solely on the league for the remainder of the season.

Of course Bryan can play there too, it's a good headache for Mr Johnson to have when selecting the side.

Funnily enough, just before his mistake, I was thinking to myself that he was possibly having his best game for us in, arguably, his sternest test.

Just because he was the last City player in possession of the ball prior to the goal does not mean he should shoulder sole responsibility - we had plenty of opportunities to clear it prior to Bernardo robbing him of it, Walsh losing it in the D, it could even be argued(weakly) that if Flint had tried to clear it with his left peg, he would have had a better chance of clearing it.

However, it did feel that a goal conceded by an individual error within our own box was coming - the pressure exerted by Manchester within our area was starting to tell, the 2 yard triangles was starting to give me kittens.

Generally, I do find it strange that people have to find a scapegoat when we have just lost, narrowly, to one of the best teams in Europe, despite giving a rip roaring account of ourselves.

Shit, I'm a City fan who thought all cup competitions only continued until round 3 and was totally unaware that rounds 4, 5 and semi-finals existed.

14 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Minute to go until half-time . Plenty of time to clear it out of touch and reshape.

Surely that is learned in professional football defending school day 1, especially at Juventus.

Succinctly and accurately expressed. 

It is baffling such an obvious decision against such opposition was not taken. Perhaps, instilled into the mindset and perhaps even drummed in, is the policy to pass our way out of trouble. At times, perhaps lesser mortals, take that coaching too literally.

36 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Lloyd Kelly to start against QPR i imagine.

Mags is a Centre Back who can fill in at Left Back, similar to that of Wright on the right hand side. 

Ultimately, whether you're playing at CB or LB, people at all levels of the game know not to mess around in that position. Once it is drilled into him that he cant be messing around like that, it wont be repeated. This is where Baker & Flint need to give him earache if he tries to do it again. Worst comes to worst, they get a corner of a throw in. If they score from that, then it's the team's fault for not defending correctly.

But, we no longer have any cup competitions to manage and rotate the squad. We can focus solely on the league for the remainder of the season.

Of course Bryan can play there too, it's a good headache for Mr Johnson to have when selecting the side.

I'd imagine Kent/Pato left wing v QPR and Joe back at Left Back with Fam possibly starting up top with Reid?

48 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I'd imagine Kent/Pato left wing v QPR and Joe back at Left Back with Fam possibly starting up top with Reid?

I hope we start against QPR with the XI that started the second half last night (bar perhaps FF back in goal if he's fit).

I said earlier that Magnússon is a great meal with hair in it. I'd had a few Thatchers when I said that.  What I meant was that for all of his good work and good defending - and exceptional crossing btw - he does seem to make one major error in every match.  Sometimes those errors cost us.

I'd also echo what a few others have said.  He was not the only player, throughout the first half, guilty of failing to just clear our lines.  We seemed to be trying to play out from the back every time.  In the Champ that is ok but against a group of players who are so quick to close down and anticipate passes so well it often led to us losing the ball in our own half.

I like Magnússon and think he's a good deputy for our first choice CBs and LB but he does need to just iron out that one error in each game - or at least make the error higher up the pitch!

Woeful, basic, repeat error. Made far, far worse because of the timing. 

To get to half-time at nil-‘nil was critical. The team had given their all to achieve that only for that simple, sloppy and unnecessary mistake. 

Would love the guy to be a success, am conscious that Flinty had a gift-goal-a-game ‘wobble’ at the start and he’s a colossas now. 

Glad he says he’ll learn. He does and fast. That mistake -mindful of past similar errors- is approaching the unforgivable for me.

On the flip side... Flint, Pack, Bakes, Bryan and particularly for that second half, Korey, take a bow. Immense. Reidy and Steele impressive too. 

I look forward to the day Pisano comes back fit and remains fit. But what will this do to our back four?

Presumably Flint and Baker stay in the middle. Pisano on the right. Wright on the left or Bryan?

For me Maggs and Wright can do a good job each from the bench; from the 5 or so matches I have seen live since late December I have observed these two as our weaker backs.

18 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Presumably Flint and Baker stay in the middle. Pisano on the right. Wright on the left or Bryan?

Our absolute first choice back four is surely

Pisano - Flint - Baker - Bryan

Wright is captain because Flint doesn't want to be captain.  I'm sure Smith or Baker would be more than capable of taking the armband.  I can't remember who deputised when Wright was suspended.

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Our absolute first choice back four is surely

Pisano - Flint - Baker - Bryan

Wright is captain because Flint doesn't want to be captain.  I'm sure Smith or Baker would be more than capable of taking the armband.  I can't remember who deputised when Wright was suspended.

Agreed on the line up; my only minor doubt is whether Bryan is better employed up the field.

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

Agreed on the line up; my only minor doubt is whether Bryan is better employed up the field.

Agree he's been very effective further forward.  But then I ask how do you accommodate a fit COD, Paterson, Brownhill, Smith, and Pack in midfield.  I think that playing Bryan at LB allows us to field a higher proportion of our most talented players.

Can't see a space for Magnússon in the first XI if the whole squad is fit.

46 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Woeful, basic, repeat error. Made far, far worse because of the timing. 

To get to half-time at nil-‘nil was critical. The team had given their all to achieve that only for that simple, sloppy and unnecessary mistake. 

Would love the guy to be a success, am conscious that Flinty had a gift-goal-a-game ‘wobble’ at the start and he’s a colossas now. 

Glad he says he’ll learn. He does and fast. That mistake -mindful of past similar errors- is approaching the unforgivable for me.

On the flip side... Flint, Pack, Bakes, Bryan and particularly for that second half, Korey, take a bow. Immense. Reidy and Steele impressive too. 

A bad mistake by Mags last night to be sure. Let's hope he can learn from that and kick on because if he can be a solid left back then that would allow Joe to play up the pitch. Added to that there's the long throws. Surely Mags is worth persevering with.

I like the way we play out of the back, but sometimes you just need to put laces through it, as Kyle Walker demonstrated last night. A lesson to be learned IMO.

Btw, whilst Pack is taking that well deserved bow just remember that he did something very similar against Wolves. 

Archived