IGNORED

Maggers..........(Merged)

brady bunch

My view is that he's the defence's weakest link, but he will improve.

He can do some wonderful stuff, but just gets caught out with moments of brain dead naivety on occasions.

As Johnson quite correctly pointed out his mistake didn't "cost us the goal". A long line of other mistakes led us to be in the position where he dropped a b***ock.

He has a wonderful attitude and seems a lot more confident on the ball, but he just needs to improve, to learn, to play safe.

I'm happy with him staying at our club providing he isn't a first choice starter for the rest of this season. We've seen how other players who seemed weak last season (Brownhill comes to mind) have stepped up a gear the longer they are here.

Equally, if he was sold, I wouldn't be devastated.

11 hours ago, pillred said:

obviously not a die hard city fan like me, and as for being an idiot retiring at 59 and being financially secure for life enjoy your day at work tomorrow.

I love it when the babyboomer generation - riding the crest of the house price boom, rattling around in homes far bigger than they need while claiming their winter fuel allowance, counting the money from the triple-locked final salary pensions, able to raise families on single incomes - sneer at their children's generation, who both have to work to raise families in modest properties with massive mortgages and pay for said pensions.  SO FUNNY!

9 minutes ago, Calculus said:

A bad mistake by Mags last night to be sure. Let's hope he can learn from that and kick on because if he can be a solid left back then that would allow Joe to play up the pitch. Added to that there's the long throws. Surely Mags is worth persevering with.

I like the way we play out of the back, but sometimes you just need to put laces through it, as Kyle Walker demonstrated last night. A lesson to be learned IMO.

Btw, whilst Pack is taking that well deserved bow just remember that he did something very similar against Wolves. 

Very true. He (and others) should have learned from that very recent, near identical, example.

Lets hope Maggers now provides some man of the match performances to compensate.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

My view is that he's the defence's weakest link, but he will improve.

He can do some wonderful stuff, but just gets caught out with moments of brain dead naivety on occasions.

As Johnson quite correctly pointed out his mistake didn't "cost us the goal". A long line of other mistakes led us to be in the position where he dropped a b***ock.

He has a wonderful attitude and seems a lot more confident on the ball, but he just needs to improve, to learn, to play safe.

I'm happy with him staying at our club providing he isn't a first choice starter for the rest of this season. We've seen how other players who seemed weak last season (Brownhill comes to mind) have stepped up a gear the longer they are here.

Equally, if he was sold, I wouldn't be devastated.

Agree Robbo.

However, Maggs wants to play, as he has Russia to think about in the summer.

Difficult one, this.

5 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Agree Robbo.

However, Maggs wants to play, as he has Russia to think about in the summer.

Difficult one, this.

He will start for Iceland regardless of if he starts games for us or not. They don't exactly to have a huge pool of players to choose from 

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He could watch Bakes a bit closer .

As long as he doesn't watch Baker's positioning when Aguero scored their second. Thought he got it all wrong there, although he has been an immense player for us all season. But these mistakes will happen when you're playing against class. Admittedly, Maggers has made a few mistakes now. But I hope he turns it round because he's one of those players who you feel really wants to do well for the club, and I genuinely believe he has the ability to be a real success with us. Seems to be a bit lacking in physical presence though, despite his size and build.

15 hours ago, BigTone said:

But Brownhill, Pack, Smith & Bryan already play different roles in the team if you hadn't noticed. As for Hegeler (despite injuries) he has hardly set the world on fire. 

I don't deny that but would I trust Maggers to be the last man in the midfield, going on his current decision making, not at all. I would take Korey over Maggs all day long.

How many critical errors leading to goals this season has Hörður Magnússon made in league games.

Is it?

1. One every week.
  2. More than Aden Flint.
  3. Less than Aden Flint.
  4. Less than Bailey Wright.
  5. The same as Aden Flint x appearances.

The answer may be he is not the liability people think he is, in the same manner Joe Bryan is no conference player.

9 hours ago, SX227 said:

Oh well - at least we know who has won "scapegoat of the month award on OTIB" for January.

Yes - terrible mistake. No doubt about it.

I would respectfully ask - did all those calling for him to be transferred not notice literally 10 minutes earlier when he sprinted from LB to stop a Man C attack on the right when Korey was left 3 on 1?

If you didn't please look again.

Yes, he has made some mistakes - tonight's was awful - 100% agree BUT - I defy anyone to genuinely not concede that Mags has improved out of sight this season.

He is still young, still learning and WILL eventually stop these errors.

Genuine critical posts are respected, but some posters going on about his looks and haircut....seriously guys, give it a rest.

He will play plenty more games at LB this season - LJ has belief in his ability.

It was awesome hearing the Maggs song being sung at the start of the 2nd half - I would imagine that helped the lad. Also saw Gus sit next to him and put his head on his shoulder and lean in - Mags looked utterly distraught.

That kind of love for your club, feeling terrible after you know what you have done is the 'DNA' worth bottling.

Mags will play a lot more for us, and just like AF, will turn out to be a tremendous player.

Only on OTIB can we ask for a guy to be sacked after 40 games and being 24 yrs old.

I also agree he may be useful further forward at times, with 2 goals for Iceland in 15 caps.

When Mags is in Russia at the World Cup it will be interesting to see how many of you don't say proudly that he plays for Bristol City..........

This is not the night for finger pointing.

We played a full strength Man City team, who really should have scored 4 or 5.

Mags mistake did not cost us the game.

It should not cost him his City career.

Great response, well thought through and articulated. :clap:

6 hours ago, shelts said:

I think we’ve seen enough to know that he won’t improve . To be fair he is only playing because LJ is forced into it and doesn’t trust or rate the youngsters yet 

How good was Flint at 24, almost 25, whilst playing in a lower division against worse players, playing alongside the stellar team in that division.  At 28, has he improved from when he was Magnússon’s age. Yes.  Of course he’s only playing because LJ is forced into it.  You can’t have 18 first choice players in an 11-Man team!  He’s not first choice, so what, he’s still given us decent cover whilst we’ve had injuries, to allow Joe to play LM.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Our absolute first choice back four is surely

Pisano - Flint - Baker - Bryan

Wright is captain because Flint doesn't want to be captain.  I'm sure Smith or Baker would be more than capable of taking the armband.  I can't remember who deputised when Wright was suspended.

That’s quite telling.  Said it earlier in thread that Flint play’s his own game predominantly , Baker does the organising, sets the lines etc.  So when Baker isn’t there, should Flint (or Wright - as our skipper) take more ownership of guiding the less experienced man (Mags) through?  I think so, but I don’t see the signs of a partnership / shared responsibility.

Now don’t get me wrong, I'm happy that when Baker plays, Flint concentrates on his own game, but when Baker doesn’t play, Flint should do more to help his inexperienced partner.

Flint has had a very, very good season...long may it continue.

16 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Said it after then Fulham away gam me on here and got salvaged for it.

In my 25 years of following City, I’ve never looked at a team sheet for a specific player and gone ‘oh no’ until Mags.

Liability and had too many chances. Time to move on.

Some players you can train and develop, what he did tonight he was taught probably aged 8! 

A few years ago I was saying ‘oh no’ quite often..

McGivern... Foster... Fontaine... Nyatanga

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

So when Baker isn’t there, should Flint (or Wright - as our skipper) take more ownership of guiding the less experienced man (Mags) through?

No doubt they all need to do this.

However, just to counter that slightly - from what I have seen Flint does lead. He does look after the junior players and he is, in all respects other than having an armband on, a captain.  In particular I remember that at QPR and Watford Flint was constantly talking to Lloyd Kelly, constantly telling him where to go and letting him know when he wasn't happy.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

No doubt they all need to do this.

However, just to counter that slightly - from what I have seen Flint does lead. He does look after the junior players and he is, in all respects other than having an armband on, a captain.  In particular I remember that at QPR and Watford Flint was constantly talking to Lloyd Kelly, constantly telling him where to go and letting him know when he wasn't happy.

That’s fair comment.  I see him giving the fists clenched / c’mon lads stuff, but haven’t particularly noted that side.  I shall look for this in future.  Ta

watch again and you will see several failures to clear the ball before Hörður became involved. A series of mistakes rather than just his and his alone. He's been a valuable member of the squad this season, as a season which has been beyond the dreams of us so far - he like the rest of the squad deserves backing rather than being singled out for criticism.

5 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Tried to be clever and got caught. These things happen and we all move on.

Getting 3 points on Saturday is all that matters now.

At first I thought why the he'll didn't he boot it into row z. But considering the way we play wouldn't part of the reason of keeping it in play be so we can play out from the back and launch a quick counter etc?

Had he not messed up and provided a ball that led to a goal no one would be moaning about him not booting it into row z.

Just trying to add a bit of balance.

11 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

At first I thought why the he'll didn't he boot it into row z. But considering the way we play wouldn't part of the reason of keeping it in play be so we can play out from the back and launch a quick counter etc?

Had he not messed up and provided a ball that led to a goal no one would be moaning about him not booting it into row z.

The fact that LJ hauled him off so soon after the error would suggest he too is frustrated by this constant fault with HM`s game and is not part of his footballing philosophy

14 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I have not criticised him and won’t but that is some big IF there.

He is a defender - get rid - it was a misjudgment of pace and then that error was magnified by not being strong enough to block the defenders efforts to retrieve the ball before it did roll slowly over the line..

Archived