IGNORED

Maggers..........(Merged)

brady bunch

2 hours ago, megansdad said:

watch again and you will see several failures to clear the ball before Hörður became involved. A series of mistakes rather than just his and his alone. He's been a valuable member of the squad this season, as a season which has been beyond the dreams of us so far - he like the rest of the squad deserves backing rather than being singled out for criticism.

And it wasn’t just the build up to this goal either. We were constantly playing sloppy passes and careless flicks in and around our own penalty area, and gave away dangerous possession countless times.

I've only ever thought Magnússon's mistakes came about because he was attempting to do what LJ has asked the defence to do.

Looking back over this season, there are relatively few instances where any of our defenders have played the ball straight out for a corner/throw-in.

Most times we get away with it but against attacking players of Man City's quality, it's really easy to get found out.  That doesn't excuse Maggers as it's still an issue of judgment.  But he will get better at this with time and unlearning his instinct to kick the ball into touch.

Recognise the mistake - yes.  Hound him out of the club - no.

1 hour ago, WSMRobin said:

The fact that LJ hauled him off so soon after the error would suggest he too is frustrated by this constant fault with HM`s game and is not part of his footballing philosophy

It seemed that way. However, if you listen/read to his post match comments, LJ stated that was always the plan to take Maggs off at HT.

3 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

It seemed that way. However, if you listen/read to his post match comments, LJ stated that was always the plan to take Maggs off at HT.

Possibly, keep to 0-0 on the night and then go for the kill, forgetting they score a lot of late goals too. I think Mags was so upset though, that even if it wasn’t in the plan he couldn’t continue, his head can’t have been right. He had one of his best games away at Man C so it’s a shame it happened, and more so to him. Yes I think he is being coached to play like this, looks great when it works but it’s a hell of a gamble when it doesn’t. So to drag him off at HT or make things worse by leaving him On was the choice and LJ called it right. I personally would have started Diedhiou though, press them from the start. 

6 hours ago, RedRaw said:

I don’t remember Marlon getting anything like this amount of stick for his error that lead to a goal against wolves....arguably in a more important game.

maybe these players are being coached into not hoofing it into row z

He did not, but the key is that with Marlon it was a one off, in what has otherwise been a fantastic season for him. Maggers is a repeat offender and for me has been our weak link in the team, since LJ has been "forced" to play him.

8 hours ago, Neo said:

I have not criticised him and won’t but that is some big IF there.

He is a defender - get rid - it was a misjudgment of pace and then that error was magnified by not being strong enough to block the defenders efforts to retrieve the ball before it did roll slowly over the line..

I think tbh I am looking for a bit of an excuse for a avoidable mistake. 

7 hours ago, city1983 said:

And it wasn’t just the build up to this goal either. We were constantly playing sloppy passes and careless flicks in and around our own penalty area, and gave away dangerous possession countless times.

I think your being a bit harsh on us.

This is exactly why a pressing game is so effective, it puts the opposition in a spin and they don't know whether they are coming or going. Man City are masters at this.

Shame about the mistake, he is human? Yes, was he playing against a load of world class footballers? Yes,. Has he made a big contribution this season? Yes.

im not sure if his long term future is with us, but he got caught put by a 40 million quid footballer,,, it happens, he is clearly a fine player and a good guy to have around.

35 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

He did not, but the key is that with Marlon it was a one off, in what has otherwise been a fantastic season for him. Maggers is a repeat offender and for me has been our weak link in the team, since LJ has been "forced" to play him.

Its not so.long ago that Pack was the regular scapegoat.

34 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

For me it's all about confidence - when the ball comes to him I feel much less confident than with any other City player - I don't have any stats (which makes me ideal for an OTIB debate) but I think he plays it long much more often than the other defenders.

This is exactly how many people described Flint when he arrived at the club as a Sean O'Driscoll signing.  If I remember correctly, he was in and out of the side during that first season and receiving a lot of criticism for poor distribution and that "nervous feeling" when he had the ball at his feet.

Totally accept that we don't have a season to get Magnússon ready but there's every chance that he can still be a good defender for us.  Ironically, if Flint is sold to Brighton or another team then we might need Maggers to take his place very soon.  6 days left of the transfer window.

50 minutes ago, Midred said:

Just watching game again, Joe had a chance to clear the ball just before it got to  Maggers and he had alot more space to do so.

Indeed...and then just stood there ball watching instead of moving to make an angle for Mags to pass to.

Mags played well.

He gets so much grief on here by many who don't see beyond what occurs before any 'mistake'.

Bryan seems to be untouchable when it comes to criticism, purely down to his skills as an offensive midfielder/defender.

His positioning when defending is very questionable...he often makes last ditch tackles or has to sprint to get into position again.

He switches off and is often caught ball watching. Did it in the last two games that led to goals.

Watch him when he wants a breather...very clever at going behind an opposition player so as not to receive a pass.

When defending, I wouldn't want to play behind him.... leaves you isolated too many times in a game.

Mags is getting a beasting on here, because of a lot of things JB doesn't do to help in defence.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Midred said:

Just watching game again, Joe had a chance to clear the ball just before it got to  Maggers and he had alot more space to do so.

Watching it now, Flint headed away poorly, Reid then sliced his clearance to Walker, from next fase, Brownhill and Flint made a hash of a clearance, which Smith in turn sliced to Fernandinho which led to move with the goal, all in all AT LEAST 6 SHOCKING TOUCHES 

• Admin
20 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Just watching the highlights and my blame for Maggers has diminished . I actually think the rugby lines were so pronounced that he lost his bearings and thought the ball had gone over the line for a split second .  ! Need to sort that asap . 

Pesky lines 

20180125_201915.jpg

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

Indeed...and then just stood there ball watching instead of moving to make an angle for Mags to pass to.

Mags played well.

He gets so much grief on here by many who don't see beyond what occurs before any 'mistake'.

Bryan seems to be untouchable when it comes to criticism, purely down to his skills as an offensive midfielder/defender.

His positioning when defending is very questionable...he often makes last ditch tackles or has to sprint to get into position again.

He switches off and is often caught ball watching. Did it in the last two games that led to goals.

Watch him when he wants a breather...very clever at going behind an opposition player so as not to receive a pass.

When defending, I wouldn't want to play behind him.... leaves you isolated too many times in a game.

Mags is getting a beasting on here, because of a lot of things JB doesn't do to help in defence.

Totally agree. The gap space-wise between them is huge at times, but then Joe leaves it all to Mags to cope with. Then Flint or Baker comes over to help out, all pulled out of position because Joe has wandered infield. Sometimes he helps, sometimes he doesn’t, must be confusing for Mags as he looking at Joe to move but he doesn’t. Individually good players but they don’t play great together.

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

Mags played well.

I agree Spud. I think the ball isnt going out for a goal kick, it’s losing momentum. Mags realises this and looks like he would play it for a throw in off his left foot. Bernardo covers this outlet by being on the right of Mags. Mags then shields the ball looking either to hoof it or my thought, to pass it for it to be played out.  Bernardo just digs in and gets a touch.

If you review the highlights Mags actually does well on 2 other occasions where Man City could have an attempt.  The off the bar cross/shot from Aguero and the shot from Silva saved by Steele.

I like Magnússon, he made a mistake, an unfortunate mistake driven by the way City were playing or not playing.

Its interesting that on the Man City forum under the match day thread their fans actually blame Stones for our 2 goals and also for other goals in previous games but haven’t vilified him for his “mistakes”

8 minutes ago, ApplePress said:

I agree Spud. I think the ball isnt going out for a goal kick, it’s losing momentum. Mags realises this and looks like he would play it for a throw in off his left foot. Bernardo covers this outlet by being on the right of Mags. Mags then shields the ball looking either to hoof it or my thought, to pass it for it to be played out.  Bernardo just digs in and gets a touch.

If you review the highlights Mags actually does well on 2 other occasions where Man City could have an attempt.  The off the bar cross/shot from Aguero and the shot from Silva saved by Steele.

I like Magnússon, he made a mistake, an unfortunate mistake driven by the way City were playing or not playing.

Its interesting that on the Man City forum under the match day thread their fans actually blame Stones for our 2 goals and also for other goals in previous games but haven’t vilified him for his “mistakes”

Very true...I think certain fans are being totally unfair in their criticism of Mags...all they seem to see is the end result, rather than what led up to it.

Your analysis is spot on.

Watch Baker and Mags...they both have awareness and reading of the game as defenders and have that second nature of reacting to problems.

Watch JB and it doesn't come as quickly. It's not ingrained. He hasn't played as a LB all his life or as a defender. He's still learning and in transition.

He plays like a left sided midfielder still. It's only his stamina and speed that get him out of trouble so many times.

Granted he's improving...but it's not doing Mags any favours playing behind him.

When JB does play LB...Baker even has to cover for him.

Mags has learnt from some of the best in the business at Juve...JB is learning now from lesser experienced coaches and players.

It doesn't come naturally to him imo.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Prem teams aren't falling over themselves for him.

Don't get me wrong...Love JB, great player, but not without fault.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Mags played well.

Aguero's goal was more of an indication of his lack of defensive 'conscience'.  Watch it back and you can see he had a chance to get back in to help but was cruising.

14 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Just a thought but.....

isn't that Man City player offside when he's playing the ball?

Should have been penalised, as he didn't have the referees permission to come back on to the pitch.

Archived