IGNORED

Parking nightmare tonight

paulcityfan

Due to the closure of the cricket ground due to it being waterlogged, desperation set in and many people parked opposite by the UWE site on the pavement.  Now they were clearly not blocking any traffic and at that time of night not bothering anyone, nor blocking any roads.  But it looked like a stuka had machine gunned a convoy with yellow stickers when I went down there after the game.  Pretty spiteful behaviour by the ticketers, they must have bagged 50 on one street.  It was obvious they were there for the game and it must have been known the CC was closed.

Definately ruined the feel good factor after the game for quite a few folk.  The club needs to have a word with the council about this.  It was mayhem tonight

Drove all round there and decided not to risk it thankfully, managed to get a space up by parsons street triangle opposite the miners arms around 7, have to admit a bit of panic was starting to set in before that as I wouldn't have known where else to try having gone to my usual places. 

4 hours ago, paulcityfan said:

Due to the closure of the cricket ground due to it being waterlogged, desperation set in and many people parked opposite by the UWE site on the pavement.  Now they were clearly not blocking any traffic and at that time of night not bothering anyone, nor blocking any roads.  But it looked like a stuka had machine gunned a convoy with yellow stickers when I went down there after the game.  Pretty spiteful behaviour by the ticketers, they must have bagged 50 on one street.  It was obvious they were there for the game and it must have been known the CC was closed.

Definately ruined the feel good factor after the game for quite a few folk.  The club needs to have a word with the council about this.  It was mayhem tonight

Absolutely disgraceful, particularly when ther is 1500 empty spaces in the P&R, we ended up parking right up by Asda in Bemmy

On the other side of the coin I arrived at the match at 5pm and had arranged to meet some friends in Duckmoor Road and witnessed two residents one who had been blocked in  and another who's drive had been blocked and he couldn't get in to his drive.

One of the residents was very complimentary of us saying "we always get this type of parking when City and Bristol Rugby play. Some of the supporters are just a bunch of inconsiderate a**holes. I wonder if they would mind if I came round and blocked them in on a regular basis".

I think he has a point.

A fair few cars parked along South Liberty Lane were stickered - most of them understandably due to being over double yellows. However, there's a parking space next to one of the houses there (not too far from the entrance at Winterstoke Rd) which happens to be on the pavement, I think it's a disabled bay for one of those houses and even the car parked in there was stickered.

I thought that was a bit cheeky - assuming the car belonged to whoever lives there!

7 hours ago, paulcityfan said:

What can the club possibly say to the Council?

These sly little scumbags were hiding behind bushes as people were turning up...then come leaping out at 19.45. If Carlsberg did jobs, this would probably be the most despised in the world. I hope you get job satisfaction you sad excuses for human beings. 

30 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

It will only get worse now we have triggered the planning requirement of having more than 25000 for 3 of the last 5 games. The club is now required to do something about parking etc.

As I understand it attendance figures are going to a review to see how many actually passed through the gate, rather than the announced matchday attendance which includes season ticket holders who may or may not have attended.

2 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Taking it to the papers, petitions, an open letting on the websites etc. What have they done?

Got questions by councillors asked at meetings of full council/cabinet for one.

It's already been covered by the Post multiple times. A petition might prove the need. Not sure what a letter on a website will achieve.

A few years back the Long Ashton P&R was open for City fans. I think there was some kind of cost involved, though not sure how much. I do know though, that it was stopped because it was costing City around £2000 per match and they felt that not enough people were using it to justify the expenditure.

With the much larger crowds we are now seeing, it surely has to be something worth trying again?

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

A few years back the Long Ashton P&R was open for City fans. I think there was some kind of cost involved, though not sure how much. I do know though, that it was stopped because it was costing City around £2000 per match and they felt that not enough people were using it to justify the expenditure.

With the much larger crowds we are now seeing, it surely has to be something worth trying again?

It will help for sure but with over 20,000 + per match 1,500 spaces will still not be nearly enough. A much wider solution has to be forthcoming rather than continual talking. I mean, it is not as if all parties did not see this coming.

The council probably do not want to use any of their own cash to do anything about this. Knowing full well what Mr Lansdown is worth so will be looking for the club to fund any initiatives that may be forthcoming. 

Would another option here to be may be look at this from outside the box a little. Say if the club was to put a levy on tickets (now I know this might cause a stir as tickets prices are obviously a bit of a sore subject with some). But come to an agreement with all the public transport authorities around and with your match day ticket or season ticket you be able to use public transport for free on match days? 

Granted this would probably not be such a popular idea on midweek games where people will want to drive and park. But I thought it was an idea that may be viable. 

24 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Yes - saw some games in Germany last year and your match day ticket  routinely gives you free use of local transport for a period before and after the game. 

Ditto Brighton - when we played there I parked in Lewes and got a free train to the stadium.

Brighton pay a £3 levy on each ticket I think, this entitles you to use local trains or park in their park and ride car parks for free. A great idea and well used. They say if you don’t need transport you still have to pay as any money will go to improving and landscaping around the stadium etc.

Parking is a shambles at AG now and it seems to be getting worse. I got there at 6pm last night and spent the next 40 minutes driving around looking for a space. I think last night was the worst I’ve seen it. 

It’s obvious that this issue isn’t going to get any better unless some changes are made.

The most obvious one would be to open the Long Ashton Park and Ride. Surely the council would make a fortune from that.... I have no idea why they won’t do it? 

Other seemingly simple ones would include more trains in and out of Parson Street (the earliest Saturday one for me after the game leaves at 6.15pm!) and more buses for the Brislington and Avonmouth Park and Rides so you can actually catch a bus after the game rather than hanging around for an hour. 

Bristol is so backward when it comes to things like this it’s actually comical. 

3 hours ago, KevP said:

These sly little scumbags were hiding behind bushes as people were turning up...then come leaping out at 19.45. If Carlsberg did jobs, this would probably be the most despised in the world. I hope you get job satisfaction you sad excuses for human beings. 

what utter bollox! yes it's a pain in the ass getting tickets but these people get paid to do a job. I'm pretty sure they didn' grow up dreaming of being a ticket man but that is the job they have that puts food on there table

4 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

On the other side of the coin I arrived at the match at 5pm and had arranged to meet some friends in Duckmoor Road and witnessed two residents one who had been blocked in  and another who's drive had been blocked and he couldn't get in to his drive.

One of the residents was very complimentary of us saying "we always get this type of parking when City and Bristol Rugby play. Some of the supporters are just a bunch of inconsiderate a**holes. I wonder if they would mind if I came round and blocked them in on a regular basis".

I think he has a point.

I know it's bad etiquette to block someones drive, but I thought the law stated it's perfectly legal to park across an empty drive way (thus preventing someone getting onto their drive), but illegal to block a driveway if someone is already parked on it?

I suppose this raises all sorts of questions if somebody has rented their driveway out for private parking, and somebody blocks the entrance because there is no car on the drive when they arrive!

14 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Parking is a shambles at AG now and it seems to be getting worse. I got there at 6pm last night and spent the next 40 minutes driving around looking for a space. I think last night was the worst I’ve seen it. 

It’s obvious that this issue isn’t going to get any better unless some changes are made.

The most obvious one would be to open the Long Ashton Park and Ride. Surely the council would make a fortune from that.... I have no idea why they won’t do it? 

Other seemingly simple ones would include more trains in and out of Parson Street (the earliest Saturday one for me after the game leaves at 6.15pm!) and more buses for the Brislington and Avonmouth Park and Rides so you can actually catch a bus after the game rather than hanging around for an hour. 

Bristol is so backward when it comes to things like this it’s actually comical. 

Agreed. Non increased public transport capacity and the Long Ashton Park and Ride are the 2 which stick out like a sore thumb for me.

It may also be worth noting though, and it's just an impression I get, but an impression I get is that a fairly high proportion of our crowd travel by car. Maybe not the same everywhere? (Again it feeds into cost, value and availability of solid public transport options- or lack of).

Archived