IGNORED

Parking nightmare tonight

paulcityfan

14 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

I had no problems parking, city did advise to arrive early,I parked in Marsh Rd,5pm,at building site entrance,there were 2 spaces empty,they were still empty after the game,and got out easily after the game,

Funny, would have guessed that you would park bumper to bumper and leave no space?

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

A few years back the Long Ashton P&R was open for City fans. I think there was some kind of cost involved, though not sure how much. I do know though, that it was stopped because it was costing City around £2000 per match and they felt that not enough people were using it to justify the expenditure.

With the much larger crowds we are now seeing, it surely has to be something worth trying again?

Posted this before......

IMG_3115.thumb.JPG.23f412b4a7a77c6701bb240e439326df.JPG

Mad idea...

Could the club- though it maybe totally unfeasible- buy the P&R site and use it commercially on non-matchdays? It's asking a lot of the club/SL but in theory it could be a win-win in the longrun.

Think:

• Parking problems alleviated.
  • If the council own it, they could gain some much-needed revenue (not to get political but most councils across the country truly are cash-strapped).
  • If SL himself used it, he could eventually get some kind of ROI maybe if used for commercial purposes for everyday use.
  • If purely a club investment, an alternate revenue stream which could help in these days of FFP.

Is there any merit in this theory, or is there a huge flaw I have missed? (Remember, my first line was 'Mad idea' :laugh: ). 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mad idea...

Could the club- though it maybe totally unfeasible- buy the P&R site and use it commercially on non-matchdays? It's asking a lot of the club/SL but in theory it could be a win-win in the longrun.

Think:

• Parking problems alleviated.
  • If the council own it, they could gain some much-needed revenue (not to get political but most councils across the country truly are cash-strapped).
  • If SL himself used it, he could eventually get some kind of ROI maybe if used for commercial purposes for everyday use.
  • If purely a club investment, an alternate revenue stream which could help in these days of FFP.

Is there any merit in this theory, or is there a huge flaw I have missed? (Remember, my first line was 'Mad idea' :laugh: ). 

Well the previous Post reports suggest that it's a limitation of the planning permission given by North Somerset Council so a change of owner wouldn't change that without fighting that battle.

6 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Well the previous Post reports suggest that it's a limitation of the planning permission given by North Somerset Council so a change of owner wouldn't change that without fighting that battle.

Cheers. Not really an issue I follow so much, but it is madness tbh to have such a facility unused on the matchday.

32 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I know it's bad etiquette to block someones drive, but I thought the law stated it's perfectly legal to park across an empty drive way (thus preventing someone getting onto their drive), but illegal to block a driveway if someone is already parked on it?

I suppose this raises all sorts of questions if somebody has rented their driveway out for private parking, and somebody blocks the entrance because there is no car on the drive when they arrive!

Only if it's a disabled driveway and has blocked a disabled driver from driving off their property. It must have 'disabled' painted on the road in front of the driveway. A quick call to the local rozzers and it's towed.

However, if the disabled driveway is empty, you can park over it as in theory a disabled person can 'wait in the car' for you to move yours.

If it's not a disabled driveway, you can still be stung by the driveway owner in a civil matter I believe. Plod can be called but 9 times out of 10, they'll do fewk all.

@Fordy62 can confirm I expect.

47 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

I had no problems parking, city did advise to arrive early,I parked in Marsh Rd,5pm,at building site entrance,there were 2 spaces empty,they were still empty after the game,and got out easily after the game,

In fairness not everyone could get to the ground nearly 3 hours before kick off.

Back in the day, there used to be 'football special' buses from various different places around the city. Would it be possible to bring them back as they used to get packed IIRC? As a nipper, my dad and me used to get one by Kingswood park and they were all lined up after the game on Ashton road.

5 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Only if it's a disabled driveway and has blocked a disabled driver from driving off their property. It must have 'disabled' painted on the road in front of the driveway. A quick call to the local rozzers and it's towed.

However, if the disabled driveway is empty, you can park over it as in theory a disabled person can 'wait in the car' for you to move yours.

If it's not a disabled driveway, you can still be stung by the driveway owner in a civil matter I believe. Plod can be called but 9 times out of 10, they'll do fewk all.

If somebody blocked my driveway they certainly wouldn't be coming back to a car they could drive home!

12 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I’m afraid Fordy can confirm nothing about traffic law! Last time I even considered the road traffic act was 2007 when taking my Sergeants exam!

Sorry. Pretty useless in that field!

8 hours ago, harrys said:

Absolutely disgraceful, particularly when ther is 1500 empty spaces in the P&R, we ended up parking right up by Asda in Bemmy

I tried every road from AG back to Dean Lane, and couldn’t find a space.  At 19:30, I gave up and drove home....watched it on telly.

23 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Last tine I looked if a car is blocking a driveway whilst a car is on the driveway and the offending vehicle is on a public road then we can ticket and get towed away for obstruction. Irrelevant if disabled or not.

i will double check law books tomorrow but certainly we can deal. We have 2 local pcsos allocated to each home game as a result of heighbourhood consultations whose main role is to assist in this type of obstruction etc . 

Please continue to call ‘ plod’ as 9 times out of 10 we have specific local officers on duty to deal with this type of problem ! 

13 hours ago, paulcityfan said:

Due to the closure of the cricket ground due to it being waterlogged, desperation set in and many people parked opposite by the UWE site on the pavement.  Now they were clearly not blocking any traffic and at that time of night not bothering anyone, nor blocking any roads.  But it looked like a stuka had machine gunned a convoy with yellow stickers when I went down there after the game.  Pretty spiteful behaviour by the ticketers, they must have bagged 50 on one street.  It was obvious they were there for the game and it must have been known the CC was closed.

Definately ruined the feel good factor after the game for quite a few folk.  The club needs to have a word with the council about this.  It was mayhem tonight

You're clearly mistaking the council for people who might give a shit about the greater good. 

Common sense? Nah "computer says no". 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I tried every road from AG back to Dean Lane, and couldn’t find a space.  At 19:30, I gave up and drove home....watched it on telly.

Unlucky Dave. Sounds like I might have been lucky to be caught in traffic so bad that I decided to park in Millennium Square and walk from there - which I realise would not be an option for everyone. Expensive but reduced my stress levels at a stroke.

Back to the bus from Coalpit Heath on Saturday! 

3 minutes ago, lager loud said:

Unlucky Dave. Sounds like I might have been lucky to be caught in traffic so bad that I decided to park in Millennium Square and walk from there - which I realise would not be an option for everyone. Expensive but reduced my stress levels at a stroke.

Back to the bus from Coalpit Heath on Saturday! 

Yep, allowing 3 coaches to park in one of the lanes opposite the Hippodrome was incredible decision making :grr:

That took 30 minutes or so from Hotel Du Vin to Millenium Square.

You made a sensible decision.

If you ever need a lift, just shout, or a lift back, ditto.

17 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Last tine I looked if a car is blocking a driveway whilst a car is on the driveway and the offending vehicle is on a public road then we can ticket and get towed away for obstruction. Irrelevant if disabled or not.

i will double check law books tomorrow but certainly we can deal. We have 2 local pcsos allocated to each home game as a result of heighbourhood consultations whose main role is to assist in this type of obstruction etc . 

Please continue to call ‘ plod’ as 9 times out of 10 we have specific local officers on duty to deal with this type of problem ! 

Wasn't being derogatory specifically towards you and your colleagues btw Julie.

I've just always liked using informal names for your profession especially 'rozzers'. 

As for the driveway thing, my in laws live near a school and the lovely mummies in their Chelsea Tractors, dropping off their spawn, like to park over everyone's drive. Nothing is ever done by the OB so it's just a case of avoiding school chuck in/chuck out times.

Just my experience anyway...

3 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Wasn't being derogatory specifically towards you and your colleagues btw Julie.

I've just always liked using informal names for your profession especially 'rozzers'. 

As for the driveway thing, my in laws live near a school and the lovely mummies in their Chelsea Tractors, dropping off their spawn, like to park over everyone's drive. Nothing is ever done by the OB so it's just a case of avoiding school chuck in/chuck out times.

Just my experience anyway...

Don't worry. While the Ashton Road was closed last night (presumably to aid pedestrian movement) the police had blocked the road for wheelchair users with their vehicles.

So while thousands walked through without a problem, I had to close the odd door mirror to allow my son to squeeze through. Just. 

Were all guilty of not considering others sometimes. 

Anyone notice the big white Ford advertising van parked wholly on the pavement outside their showroom last night before the game.

Quite a few police officers walked around it

At the Man Utd game, Ford apparently called the police regarding blue badged cars parked on double yellows outside and got them towed away......at a cost of £150 each. Yet they have been parking there for years and never had a problem.

Left Bridgwater at 5pm, came off at Gordano at 5.35 pm, it then took me one hour ( yes! ) to get from the traffic lights ( where you turn off left for the suspension bridge ) to Bedminster cricket ground. That was full, so ended up going out of Bristol to the new relief road and ended up parking up on Bedminster down at 7.20 pm. 

Ffs, open the park and ride!.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Left Bridgwater at 5pm, came off at Gordano at 5.35 pm, it then took me one hour ( yes! ) to get from the traffic lights ( where you turn off left for the suspension bridge ) to Bedminster cricket ground. That was full, so ended up going out of Bristol to the new relief road and ended up parking up on Bedminster down at 7.20 pm. 

Ffs, open the park and ride!.

On the new link road you could have turned left into the back of Ashton Vale Trading Estate. Plenty of places to park and not so far to walk to the ground past the Robins.......and also, a quite escape back out after the game.

8 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Anyone notice the big white Ford advertising van parked wholly on the pavement outside their showroom last night before the game.

Quite a few police officers walked around it

At the Man Utd game, Ford apparently called the police regarding blue badged cars parked on double yellows outside and got them towed away......at a cost of £150 each. Yet they have been parking there for years and never had a problem.

The only cars that got towed from by the Ford Garage were ones that were blocking a delivery loader from accessing the garage.

40 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

On the new link road you could have turned left into the back of Ashton Vale Trading Estate. Plenty of places to park and not so far to walk to the ground past the Robins.......and also, a quite escape back out after the game.

Shhhhh

Archived