IGNORED

Parking nightmare tonight

paulcityfan

Hi Julie. 

I assume there is a multi-agency, partnership working group considering setting up an action group to appoint consultants to undertake a feasibility study of opening the Long Ashton Park and Ride for football/rugby supporter use. 

I know these things take time particularly, for some unexplained reason, in Bristol. Appreciate also the Mayor is more interested in modelling an underground train set, admiring his non operational metro-bus circuit and sticking pins in a map for the site of a new arena than sorting out real world problems. Most projects though have a project plan developed at project initiation stage. I would suspect that any working group has at least reached this stage after the many years of prevarication.

Any chance you could enlighten us as to the key stages of that timetable for the Long Ashton Park and Ride site? 

Think, if you could, the people stuck in queues searching for a parking space or get ripped off by local landowners would derive some comfort that at least something is happening to resolve the parking problem and that people in authority care about local sports fans. It would also make us think the police are as keen about addressing the causes of traffic offences as enforcing against the offenders.

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Hi Julie. 

I assume there is a multi-agency, partnership working group considering setting up an action group to appoint consultants to undertake a feasibility study of opening the Long Ashton Park and Ride for football/rugby supporter use. 

I know these things take time particularly, for some unexplained reason, in Bristol. Appreciate also the Mayor is more interested in modelling an underground train set, admiring his non operational metro-bus circuit and sticking pins in a map for the site of a new arena than sorting out real world problems. Most projects though have a project plan developed at project initiation stage. I would suspect that any working group has at least reached this stage after the many years of prevarication.

Any chance you could enlighten us as to the key stages of that timetable for the Long Ashton Park and Ride site? 

Think, if you could, the people stuck in queues searching for a parking space or get ripped off by local landowners would derive some comfort that at least something is happening to resolve the parking problem and that people in authority care about local sports fans. It would also make us think the police are as keen about addressing the causes of traffic offences as enforcing against the offenders.

Thanks.

It is on the councils radar, and they're going through a compulsory purchase order to buy the land off the private owners, but as with all things related to Bristol, it's never straight forward...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-city-man-united-parking-869059

5 minutes ago, beaverface said:

It is on the councils radar, and they're going through a compulsory purchase order to buy the land off the private owners, but as with all things related to Bristol, it's never straight forward...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-city-man-united-parking-869059

Thanks.

I know it’s Bristol.... but, where appropriate,  in most of the rest of the Country projects follow twin-track processes. So when one track is completed  (in this case the CPO), progress on the second track (opening it for sports fans use) is well advanced and very near completion.  

Given the debacle of the management of the site since its creation, one may have thought that extra special effort might have been put in to the rapid opening the site for sports fan use by those responsible, so as to avoid looking like complete and utter numpties.

Await Julie’s answer but I assume the Council’s partnership team sorting the LA Park and a Ride are the same people responsible for The Arena, Metro-Bus and Underground projects. If that’s case, I anticipate the site will be open for us in time for the Club’s 200 year anniversary.

10 hours ago, Jacki said:

Parking is a shambles at AG now and it seems to be getting worse. I got there at 6pm last night and spent the next 40 minutes driving around looking for a space. I think last night was the worst I’ve seen it. 

It’s obvious that this issue isn’t going to get any better unless some changes are made.

The most obvious one would be to open the Long Ashton Park and Ride. Surely the council would make a fortune from that.... I have no idea why they won’t do it? 

Other seemingly simple ones would include more trains in and out of Parson Street (the earliest Saturday one for me after the game leaves at 6.15pm!) and more buses for the Brislington and Avonmouth Park and Rides so you can actually catch a bus after the game rather than hanging around for an hour. 

Bristol is so backward when it comes to things like this it’s actually comical. 

I've used the Brislington Park and Ride a few times this season and have actually found more delays getting the bus to the ground than coming back. 

Yesterday is a case in point - there were people who arrived for the 5:50 bus who couldn't get on (too much demand) and then the 6:20 bus, which arrived at 6:30, departed full with loads of fans left waiting for the next one. I think most would accept there might be a wait due to the rush after the game but with demand clearly there before the game surely more buses should be put on? If the P&R isn't attractive people will just drive all the way to the ground or even just stop attending altogether. 

7 hours ago, Stoke_Gifford_Red said:

I've used the Brislington Park and Ride a few times this season and have actually found more delays getting the bus to the ground than coming back. 

Yesterday is a case in point - there were people who arrived for the 5:50 bus who couldn't get on (too much demand) and then the 6:20 bus, which arrived at 6:30, departed full with loads of fans left waiting for the next one. I think most would accept there might be a wait due to the rush after the game but with demand clearly there before the game surely more buses should be put on? If the P&R isn't attractive people will just drive all the way to the ground or even just stop attending altogether. 

It does seem pretty obvious doesn’t it. If they had 3 buses running and really publicised the P&R service I reckon a lot more people would use it. As it is at the moment, it’s as much if not more hassle to get the P&R so people will just do what they’ve always done and drive to the ground. 

16 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Got to say, I park there almost every week and haven’t seen any arguments. Some bays are allocated and marked for residents. So you have to be a grad-A ass hole to do that, surely? And I don’t park on the grass/mud.

People get Blocked in on the grassy area near the front as people just park in all sorts of angles. I live on Paxton and their is a letter on the notice board about it and who to contact etc when it happens. Also have to be careful as a private company do ticket that area as well. 

There are a few visitors spaces as you come, or if you park on the side when you come in, there doesn't seem to be cameras that can catch you there :)

21 hours ago, Spoons said:

I pay for Ashton park school takes the stress away from finding space and let's me always have a space even if I decide to leave home late.

that used to be the best kept secret in Bristol, parked in there for 20 years no problem, was always amazed how it could be so empty, pi***d right off when they started charging.

Now here's a crazy crazy idea:

The massive park next to AG... Build an underground car park. Sure it will need a couple of exhaust vents popping up here and there, other than those the green space can be retained. Parking for a thousand people or so....

(one for Mr Mayor to spend millions on a feasibility study for perhaps, maybe bolt it on to his Bristol underground idea haha, water table may also be an issue, but it works for Millennium square) 

5 hours ago, Benerz said:

People get Blocked in on the grassy area near the front as people just park in all sorts of angles. I live on Paxton and their is a letter on the notice board about it and who to contact etc when it happens. Also have to be careful as a private company do ticket that area as well. 

There are a few visitors spaces as you come, or if you park on the side when you come in, there doesn't seem to be cameras that can catch you there :)

A friend tends to lend me his space when a match is on. At the top end as you come in, I believe there is a resident who takes pictures on match days of any cars not parked in bays (resident or not). 

I understand any odd parking which blocks others in, but residents taking pics of any other vehicle is quite petty. 

Yea there’s signs, but THAT company, their ‘code of practice’ and their ‘solicitors’ are a joke to society. So like anywhere, I park sensibly and don’t respect any private parking firm ;) Obvs pay & display and avoid permit holders parking.

Looks like we're supposed to be doing something about it (Evil Post article link),   Apparently, by having 3 out of 5 consecutive home games over 25,000 we have met a trigger (from the Ashton gate redevelopment plan)  that means we're supposed to pay for a matchday parking scheme. However, we are claiming that although the published attendance for the Wolves game is 25,540 actually a number of our Season ticket holders were not there so it wasn't actually over 25,000.

I'm sure the Newt spottera, dog walkers and ice-skaters who use Ashton Vale every day will object, but surely the time has come for the council to take a long term view of the possibility of City going up and staying up and having 25K every game?

There are acres and acres of space - perhaps the council could approve a big car park, and charge a fee which is split between residents of AV and the council?

More parking, cash for residents to soften the 6 hrs per week of disruption, and kudos to the council?

Too hard?

5 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I'm sure the Newt spottera, dog walkers and ice-skaters who use Ashton Vale every day will object, but surely the time has come for the council to take a long term view of the possibility of City going up and staying up and having 25K every game?

There are acres and acres of space - perhaps the council could approve a big car park, and charge a fee which is split between residents of AV and the council?

More parking, cash for residents to soften the 6 hrs per week of disruption, and kudos to the council?

Too hard?

Where the fek would they skate and hold their barbecues? What an inconsiderate suggestion, phah.

I believe Mr L has previously stated that, he would build a multi story car park, if allowed to by the council. maybe there's something in the plans for the extra developments at AG. You know, new 8-10,000 multi use arena, hotel, car park, station. 

21 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Too hard?

I'm surprised the residents didn't kick up a fuss having their ice skating rink cut in half. Lansdown should turn the northern part into a giant coach and car park. But I suspect it will be sold off for housing. 

metro bus link.jpg

5 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Looks like we're supposed to be doing something about it (Evil Post article link),   Apparently, by having 3 out of 5 consecutive home games over 25,000 we have met a trigger (from the Ashton gate redevelopment plan)  that means we're supposed to pay for a matchday parking scheme. However, we are claiming that although the published attendance for the Wolves game is 25,540 actually a number of our Season ticket holders were not there so it wasn't actually over 25,000.

How do you define a “match day parking scheme”

1 hour ago, harrys said:

How do you define a “match day parking scheme”

At a guess more rpz areas and hours on match days. At the moment during normal working week days you can' park in many areas around the ground. This would be extended to match days. Residents who are part of the existing rpz would then be able to park.

Archived